miamicuse

Default Roof replacement

Does installing a new roof involve replacing the plywood to which the roof
tiles are attached as well as all the flashings? or just rip up the tiles
and replace with new? Can hurricane straps be installed when replacing an
existing roof?

Thanks,

MC

Edwin Pawlowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Does installing a new roof involve replacing the plywood to which the roof
tiles are attached as well as all the flashings?

It can, but that is not the utual method and will be spelled out if needed.

BTW, we had the new tiles just put over the old ones.
In our parts only 2-3 layers allowed. And it overheats.

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]
Norminn

miamicuse wrote:
Does installing a new roof involve replacing the plywood to which the roof
tiles are attached as well as all the flashings? or just rip up the tiles
and replace with new? Can hurricane straps be installed when replacing an
existing roof?

Thanks,

MC

A new roof doesn't require replacing plywood unless there is damage to
existing roof deck or your roofer is a crook. Take a look at the
underneath, from attic, if you can, to look for signs of leaks, nail
misses or warped deck. There should be a statement in the job bid that
addresses price and materials if new decking is needed. Sometimes don't
know until they pull off the old roofing.

Replacing the roof would be the time to consider installing hurricane
straps - all depends on the configuration and accessibility of existing
structure and if it requires opening the roof deck...

One surprise for me in the last storm was that concrete roof tiles can
blow away! Wow! We had a roofing problem that turned out to be a
blessing in disguise ... shingles kept falling off. Roofer was back
several times, and then, finally, did a major rework where they put
adhesive under all the tabs. Neighbors lost a lot of shingles last
year, and we lost only a very few.

I just found a good storm tip which I want to explore - a backflow
preventer for sewer. We are on "low" end of condo sewer pipe, between
main and the rest of the condo units. Discovered that recently when the
main line plugged up and both of our toilets backed up.

This website has some good tips:
http://www.fiu.edu/~ehs/emergencies/...home_owner.htm
Check your local code straps, roofing, etc.

miamicuse

Well I have a leak somewhere. The ceiling is stained along one of the
exterior walls. Of course, it's a tight spot where you can't get to in the
attic, and the deck from below does not provide clue where the leak came
from (any spot higher can have a leak that end up flowing to that spot), and
I had three people came by over the years and they cannot pin point it. So
I thought if I am going to redo the roof, I may replace the deck to solve
the problem or it may be an overkill, and for all I know, it may be the
turbine allowing water in during a bad storm.

MC

"Norminn" wrote in message

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Well I have a leak somewhere. The ceiling is stained along one of the
exterior walls. Of course, it's a tight spot where you can't get to in
the
attic, and the deck from below does not provide clue where the leak came
from (any spot higher can have a leak that end up flowing to that spot),
and
I had three people came by over the years and they cannot pin point it.
So
I thought if I am going to redo the roof, I may replace the deck to solve
the problem or it may be an overkill, and for all I know, it may be the
turbine allowing water in during a bad storm.

Replacing the deck won't solve the problem. Water is not supposed to reach
the deck. Period. This is not an option on a good roofing job.

If you have damage to the deck from water, a portion may have to be
replaced. That is a different issue.

The leak may be poor flashing, gaps in tiles or shingles, etc. The deck is
not the problem, just a part of the roof that gets damaged from it.

Tarberglas over Tarsbestos

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

cost for slate or synthetic slate roof? Keith A. Schneider Home Ownership 0 July 20th 05 06:53 PM
tar-and-gravel roof - puddles etc. advice needed Steve Portigal Home Repair 6 November 23rd 04 09:40 PM
Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 09:05 PM
The Roof Replacement Experience Joe Odom Home Repair 4 July 10th 03 06:31 PM