Default Roof Replacement Est CA?

Hi all,

I have been trying to budget a roof replacement and was wondering if
anyone could give me a general guestimate of the price range?

2000 sq ft home
No steep roof areas (can walk the whole roof)
Orange County, CA
Replacing a wood shingle roof (original, one layer) with asphalt
shingles.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated by this home repair
novice.

Thank-you,
Meg
mgputtputtATSYMBOLwebtv.net

Sacramento Dave

wrote in message

Hi all,

I have been trying to budget a roof replacement and was wondering if
anyone could give me a general guestimate of the price range?

2000 sq ft home
No steep roof areas (can walk the whole roof)
Orange County, CA
Replacing a wood shingle roof (original, one layer) with asphalt
shingles.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated by this home repair
novice.

Thank-you,
Meg
mgputtputtATSYMBOLwebtv.net

I would guess about $8,000 to $12,000 Removing the roof putting plywood
down. When you need a roof they got ya. Get some estimates I'd like to see
what their getting. In Sacramento their getting that.

CWLee

wrote

I have been trying to budget a roof replacement and was

wondering if
anyone could give me a general guestimate of the price

range?

2000 sq ft home
No steep roof areas (can walk the whole roof)
Orange County, CA
Replacing a wood shingle roof (original, one layer) with

asphalt
shingles.

In my lower/middle class neighborhood near Long Beach the
prices paid have ranged from $3,000 to $6,000 for homes of
that size. The higher prices have been for steep roofs.
These are all second roofs applied over the original (25
year old) roof. Removing the old roof and adding a new one
is even more expensive. I talked to about 8 home owners in
my tract, and some were happy with the contractors, others
very unhappy. I was happy with the one my east neighbor
used. The one my west neighbor used would not consider my
house because the roof was too steep. I urge you to walk
your neighborhood and talk to the home owners about their
experiences and get the names of the companies they favor
and disfavor.

Fred

wrote in message

Hi all,

I have been trying to budget a roof replacement and was wondering if
anyone could give me a general guestimate of the price range?

2000 sq ft home
No steep roof areas (can walk the whole roof)
Orange County, CA
Replacing a wood shingle roof (original, one layer) with asphalt
shingles.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated by this home repair
novice.

Thank-you,
Meg
mgputtputtATSYMBOLwebtv.net

We just had one done in N. Cal. Remove single layer wood single and replace
with three dimensional asphalt singles on existing plywood. $10K 40 year
roof with new gutters. $8K for just the roof. Two story house, 2,200 sq ft.

Dan_Musicant

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:47:52 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"
wrote:

:
wrote in message
:
: Hi all,
:
[...]

Do you need new gutters and downspouts? That will add to the cost. I got
two estimates from evidently highly reputable roofers working in and
around Berkeley/Oakland CA on my 1925 square footer a couple of weeks
ago and they were for about $18,000 and $16,000. That didn't include
repairing the dry rot. I am hoping to have the foundation repaired
before I get the roof done, though.

I'm having a small-timer come over in a week and will probably get a bid
from him. These other companies have 8-9 crews working at once.

Dan_Musicant

In my case, though, they have to remove 3 layers of previous asphalt
roofing that's on top of the initial layer of wood shingles, so that
adds some to the cost.

Sacramento Dave

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
news
In my case, though, they have to remove 3 layers of previous asphalt
roofing that's on top of the initial layer of wood shingles, so that
adds some to the cost.

It amazing how much the rate changes in deferent areas. My estimation was
probably leaning to the low end in Sac. Plus there is so much building going
on they are getting top dollar. I was talking to a roofer that works the
Tahoe area he said he is getting 3 time what the valley ( Sac.) is getting
and plenty of work, but he is targeting the million Dollar homes, you know
the 800 sq. ft. cabin

Dan_Musicant

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:26:28 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
:news : In my case, though, they have to remove 3 layers of previous asphalt
: roofing that's on top of the initial layer of wood shingles, so that
: adds some to the cost.
:
:
:It amazing how much the rate changes in deferent areas. My estimation was
robably leaning to the low end in Sac. Plus there is so much building going
n they are getting top dollar. I was talking to a roofer that works the
:Tahoe area he said he is getting 3 time what the valley ( Sac.) is getting
:and plenty of work, but he is targeting the million Dollar homes, you know
:the 800 sq. ft. cabin

I figure I'll get some more estimates but I'm scared I'm going to be
paying over $20,000 when I add in the carpentry that's going to have to
go into this. One roofer said they could do the carpentry at a rate of
$65/man-hour + materials, but one GC tells me I shouldn't even consider
that - not because of the rate but because they aren't competent to do
the work properly.

The bids are to include plywood sheathing all over. I don't believe
there's any sheathing presently. There appears to be only wood shingles
right over the rafters. I suppose the wood shingles will stay, but they
will nail 1/2 inch ply over them before laying the felt and 50 year
shingles, that is if I have the current low bidder do the job. My
immediate concern is a satisfactory foundation job first, though.

My impression in getting my two current bids is not that they are
overwhelmed with work here, but that they can take it on at the moment.
Two weeks ago, the first bidder said they were just then beginning to
book for the beginning of September. But another pretty big local roofer
put off my estimate visit almost 2 weeks, to happen next week.

Sacramento Dave

..

The bids are to include plywood sheathing all over. I don't believe
there's any sheathing presently. There appears to be only wood shingles
right over the rafters. I suppose the wood shingles will stay, but they
will nail 1/2 inch ply over them before laying the felt and 50 year
shingles, that is if I have the current low bidder do the job. My
immediate concern is a satisfactory foundation job first, though.

They defiantly should remove shingles. Then there should be 1X4 skip
sheathing on the rafters. Then the Ply or chip board should be installed
over that. The wood shingles have to be removed.

Hi all,

A BIG Thank-you to: SacramentoDave, CWLee, Fred, Sherman, and
Dan_Musicant.

I appreciate the replies! The information and advice is very welcome.
Thank-you for taking the time to answer my questions. Gutters, shingles
and dry-rot, oh my! :-)

If anyone's interested: I'll update how the real-life estimates with
roofers go in the next 2-3 weeks.

This forum has been a lot of help.

Thanks again,
Meg :-)

Dan_Musicant

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:02:46 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"
wrote:

:.
:
: The bids are to include plywood sheathing all over. I don't believe
: there's any sheathing presently. There appears to be only wood shingles
: right over the rafters. I suppose the wood shingles will stay, but they
: will nail 1/2 inch ply over them before laying the felt and 50 year
: shingles, that is if I have the current low bidder do the job. My
: immediate concern is a satisfactory foundation job first, though.
:
:
:They defiantly should remove shingles. Then there should be 1X4 skip
:sheathing on the rafters. Then the Ply or chip board should be installed
ver that. The wood shingles have to be removed.

Thanks. I'll definitely bring up the subject. A guy from one of the big
local reputable roofers is coming over Tuesday morning. I'll ask him
this question directly.