Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain clogged with plastic Stir Sticks

A local bar was having trouble with the drain being clogged on their
sink, where they wash the glasses. The bartender said she could not wash
the glasses and had to send someone to buy some disposible plastic cups
in order to make mixed drinks. She was pounding away with a plunger, and
as she plunged it, plastic stir sticks were coming up. A couple of us
guys finally grabbed some tools and took the trap off under the sink.
That trap and all the pipes were full of those stir sticks. I'd bet we
took out at least 30 of them.

We put the trap back on, but it still drained very slow. Apparently
those sticks are clogged further down, and no one had a snake handy.

The main sewer is not clogged, since the toilets work fine.

The sink drain pipes are not accessible since there is no basement.

My question is this: Will a snake get thru those stir sticks?

Of course I told the bartender to stop dumping those sticks in the sink,
and to remove them BEFORE dumping a glass in the sink. She insisted that
she always removes them before they get in the sink, but said other
bartenders may not be removing them. I told her to make a sign and put
it above the sink to tell everyone to NOT let stir sticks go down the
drain. And also suggested that she tell the bar owner to buy some sort
of "screen" that wont allow them to go down the drain. I also told her
that the owner should buy a plumbing snake to have on hand.

She said that she would have a plumber come the next day. I'm assuming
by now the plumber came. I have not been there for several days.

Either way, I wonder if a snake will actually "chew up" those sticks, or
shove them further down into larger pipes, where they will go down the
sewer. I never thought about them going down drains, but I can now see
the problem. Actually, they should be made from something that will
break apart, such as a paper, but they are what they are....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 4:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think the drain screen is good. Better, to
stop serving stir sticks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 19:41:09 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I think the drain screen is good. Better, to
stop serving stir sticks.

Yes, it could even get worse with tiny tropical umbrellas the ladies
like so much. Men drink whiskey and don't need a stinking stick to
stir it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 6:09 PM, philo wrote:

If you end up having to use a product such as LiquidPlummr, it should
soften them up to the point they will clear.

You base that on what? Liquid Plumr is shipped and stored in plastic
bottles. You think it is going to dissolve the plastic stirring sticks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think the drain screen is good. Better, to
stop serving stir sticks.

Yes, it could even get worse with tiny tropical umbrellas the ladies
like so much. Men drink whiskey and don't need a stinking stick to
stir it.

Let me tell you something about real men.

Jimmie Vafiadis was the cook at the restaurant where I got my first job.

This was back before the days of pop-top beer cans and twist off bottle
caps.

He always dipped into the owner's Lowenbrau beer.

It was also in the days when the beer we drink here was actually brewed
in Germany.

One night after he had a few, he lost the opener and asked me to fetch
another one.

I was too slow, he just smashed the neck and drank from the jagged glass.

I was shocked but he told me the broken glass would just settle to the
bottom.

By ten PM almost each night...he'd be on the floor swinging a bottle of
beer and singing Greek songs and the owner would end up having to do the
cooking.

Nick never fired him though as he was the most reliable cook they had...
probably due to the free beer.

Now /that/ is how a real man does it.

Jimmie Vafiadis is the only real man I've ever seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:21:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/24/2015 6:09 PM, philo wrote:

If you end up having to use a product such as LiquidPlummr, it should
soften them up to the point they will clear.

You base that on what? Liquid Plumr is shipped and stored in plastic
bottles. You think it is going to dissolve the plastic stirring sticks?

That was my reaction too. As far as I know, Liq Plumber is nothing but
bleach anyhow. (I may be wrong). But it's not going to soften plastic,
or the PVC pipes would soften too. And the bottle like you said.

Ideally, the stir sticks should not go down the drain, but they really
should be made of something that will break down after awhile. They are
only in a drink for a few seconds to an hour anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I knew a guy that would break and swallow pieces of razor blades in
prison. Seeking attention. Medical staff put him on a diet of bread
and water. Kept him from having cuts in his intestines and stomach.

What an idiot
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 07:45 PM, Oren wrote:

X is how a real man does it.

Jimmie Vafiadis is the only real man I've ever seen.

I knew a guy that would break and swallow pieces of razor blades in
prison. Seeking attention. Medical staff put him on a diet of bread
and water. Kept him from having cuts in his intestines and stomach.

What an idiot

I think I read about that

was his name:

Iggy Nora Ramus ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think the drain screen is good. Better, to
stop serving stir sticks.

Yes, it could even get worse with tiny tropical umbrellas the ladies
like so much. Men drink whiskey and don't need a stinking stick to
stir it.

After all, prohibiting stir sticks will work as
well as, uh, prohibition.

Then, stick easys will spring up all over the
once great nation, as people seek freedom.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 4:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

And it's very possible she was removing the
stir sticks. We'll never know.

Reminds me one time when I was a dish washer at
a restaurant. I'd been on the clock about five
minutes. The manager (who was a screamer) came by
and looked at the dishes on top of the dish washer.
Found a dirty one, yelled at me, threw the dish
across the room. Didn't help that I told him I'd
been on clock five minutes, and had not even looked
at those yet. More screaming. Not by me, I was
quiet and polite the whole time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 8:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/24/2015 6:09 PM, philo wrote:

If you end up having to use a product such as LiquidPlummr, it should
soften them up to the point they will clear.

You base that on what? Liquid Plumr is shipped and stored in plastic
bottles. You think it is going to dissolve the plastic stirring sticks?

When I read that, same concept in my mind.
Boiling hot water might help, but the stir
sticks will cool and harden some where down
the line. Strainer is looking better all the
time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 8:49 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/24/2015 07:28 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:21:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/24/2015 6:09 PM, philo wrote:

If you end up having to use a product such as LiquidPlummr, it should
soften them up to the point they will clear.

You base that on what? Liquid Plumr is shipped and stored in plastic
bottles. You think it is going to dissolve the plastic stirring sticks?

That was my reaction too. As far as I know, Liq Plumber is nothing but
bleach anyhow. (I may be wrong). But it's not going to soften plastic,
or the PVC pipes would soften too. And the bottle like you said.

Ideally, the stir sticks should not go down the drain, but they really
should be made of something that will break down after awhile. They are
only in a drink for a few seconds to an hour anyhow.

There are many different formulas for making plastic and the bottle
Liquid Plumr comes in... is of course formulated not to dissolve.

http://www.labdepotinc.com/articles/...-plastics.html

I think (yes I could be wrong) that those stir sticks are just simple
polypropylene and will soften in a strong acid or base.

As your link shows:
PP has excellent chemical resistance to acids, bases, alcohols, minerals
oils, and minor attack from aldehydes, esters, ketones and aliphatic
hydrocarbons. PP is very suitable for items that require frequent
sterilization such as trays and instrument jars -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 08:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
OnX

There are many different formulas for making plastic and the bottle
Liquid Plumr comes in... is of course formulated not to dissolve.

http://www.labdepotinc.com/articles/...-plastics.html

I think (yes I could be wrong) that those stir sticks are just simple
polypropylene and will soften in a strong acid or base.

As your link shows:
PP has excellent chemical resistance to acids, bases, alcohols, minerals
oils, and minor attack from aldehydes, esters, ketones and aliphatic
hydrocarbons. PP is very suitable for items that require frequent
sterilization such as trays and instrument jars -

Hmm, I guess I proved myself wrong then

not a first for me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 6:41

Obvious solution is a stir stick inventory control software program.
Number them and account for them... maybe by bar code and scanner. No
one goes home till they are all accounted for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/24/2015 8:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/24/2015 6:09 PM, philo wrote:

If you end up having to use a product such as LiquidPlummr, it
should soften them up to the point they will clear.

You base that on what? Liquid Plumr is shipped and stored in plastic
bottles. You think it is going to dissolve the plastic stirring
sticks?

When I read that, same concept in my mind.
Boiling hot water might help, but the stir
sticks will cool and harden some where down
the line. Strainer is looking better all the
time.

Softening them up will likely result in a gooey mess which will harden into a
worse problem. I suspect the use of a cutting blade on a snake would be the most
effective solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 3:41:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Has no one considered putting a strainer in the drain? Is it like a kitchen sink drain? If so, replacement strainers are readily available. I'd try a shop vac first. Another thing to consider is the fact that bartenders could be dumping drinks that could have something like a slice of lemon or olives on toothpicks? Just a thought. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Bar Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:46:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

As your link shows:
PP has excellent chemical resistance to acids, bases, alcohols, minerals
oils, and minor attack from aldehydes, esters, ketones and aliphatic
hydrocarbons. PP is very suitable for items that require frequent
sterilization such as trays and instrument jars -

It's a good thing it's resistant to alcohol

I have to mention that years ago, I watched a guy in a bar (different
bar) spend hours with a lighter, melting those plastic stir sticks
together, until he formed a colorful tower about 4 ft. tall with a
windmill on top, that rotated. It was really professional looking as
well as amazing. In fact the bar owner put it up on a shelf. The bar
owner probably had to order more sticks after that, the guy used
hundreds of them, but no one complained.

I think that guy was an artist of some sort. This was not just some
drunk guy playing around.

So, if they are PP, we know they melt from heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2015 3:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of the house where I had a slow drain in the bathroom
sink. Eventually I got around to remodeling and replaced the
sink. When I took out the drain it was full of pencils. Some
kids must have been playing in there. The drain did run faster
after that.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2015 7:16 AM, philo wrote:

anyway it was only a guess when I said PP

Probably correct. PP is used for drinking straws and most drink
stirrers. The solid ones though may be PS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2015 08:27 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

She said that she would have a plumber come the next day. I'm assuming
by now the plumber came. I have not been there for several days.

Either way, I wonder if a snake will actually "chew up" those sticks, or
shove them further down into larger pipes, where they will go down the
sewer. I never thought about them going down drains, but I can now see
the problem. Actually, they should be made from something that will
break apart, such as a paper, but they are what they are....

Reminds me of the house where I had a slow drain in the bathroom
sink. Eventually I got around to remodeling and replaced the
sink. When I took out the drain it was full of pencils. Some
kids must have been playing in there. The drain did run faster
after that.

Bill

Had a similar experience with a piano

When my daughter was about to start lessons I purchased a non-working
piano for next to nothing. A lot of keys did not work.

(This was before Craig's List where every week there is a free one)

Anyway I found a guy who said he could repair it and tune it.

I heard him play it within a few minutes and after it was all tuned I
entered the room and he presented me with a box of pencils that had been
jamming the piano.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:42:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Why not just issue one spoon to employees to stir a beverage?

And chain it to the counter, with a stainless chain.
Said chain would be too short to reach the drain?

Extensive and time consuming process to sign it out
each time.

....prison kitchen butcher knives are handled exactly that way. Staff
draw the knives from expanded metal caged shadow boards, using a brass
chit. 1/4" cable is secured to the metal table and knife via
padlocks...tool control
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think the drain screen is good. Better, to
stop serving stir sticks.

Yes, it could even get worse with tiny tropical umbrellas the ladies
like so much. Men drink whiskey and don't need a stinking stick to
stir it.

I drink beer. No stick. No umbrella.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Why not just issue one spoon to employees to stir a beverage?

And chain it to the counter, with a stainless chain.
Said chain would be too short to reach the drain?

Extensive and time consuming process to sign it out
each time.

...prison kitchen butcher knives are handled exactly that way. Staff
draw the knives from expanded metal caged shadow boards, using a brass
chit. 1/4" cable is secured to the metal table and knife via
padlocks...tool control

No chit!

No chit, no tool. Get the boss to approve temporary chit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 2:56:27 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:43:44 -0400, Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Why not just issue one spoon to employees to stir a beverage?

Sometimes I get tired of all the chit that's going on. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Brass Monster
And chain it to the counter, with a stainless chain.
Said chain would be too short to reach the drain?

Extensive and time consuming process to sign it out
each time.

...prison kitchen butcher knives are handled exactly that way. Staff
draw the knives from expanded metal caged shadow boards, using a brass
chit. 1/4" cable is secured to the metal table and knife via
padlocks...tool control

No chit!

No chit, no tool. Get the boss to approve temporary chit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:33:37 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Sometimes I get tired of all the chit that's going on. ^__^

Chit matters!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:44:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

I drink beer. No stick. No umbrella.

Be careful with Patron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2700em-JQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2015 4:33 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 2:56:27 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:43:44 -0400, Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Why not just issue one spoon to employees to stir a beverage?

Sometimes I get tired of all the chit that's going on. ^__^

No chit, no tool. Get the boss to approve temporary chit

Don't you just wish they would chit
the fork up?

-
..