Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clogged Bathtub Drain

Just a basic question of how to unclog. The water does go down the drain,
albeit very very slowly. I'm sure this is due to an accumulation of
hair/gunk.

I can't figure out how to remove the drain cap. It is the type with a knob
that you rotate about 1/4 turn to collapse it to be able to take a bath, and
a 1/4 turn the other way to keep it raised for showering. It will not
unscrew.

I thought I would first try to unscrew the cap to see if I could access the
clog, but I can't even unscrew the cap.

I don't want to have to call a plumber - I'm sure with the right advice this
has to be a simple thing.

Should I apply a commercial drain clog product? Is there a simple way to
remove the drain cap that I don't know?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
Just a basic question of how to unclog. The water does go down the drain,
albeit very very slowly. I'm sure this is due to an accumulation of
hair/gunk.

I can't figure out how to remove the drain cap. It is the type with a knob
that you rotate about 1/4 turn to collapse it to be able to take a bath, and
a 1/4 turn the other way to keep it raised for showering. It will not
unscrew.

I thought I would first try to unscrew the cap to see if I could access the
clog, but I can't even unscrew the cap.

I don't want to have to call a plumber - I'm sure with the right advice this
has to be a simple thing.

Should I apply a commercial drain clog product? Is there a simple way to
remove the drain cap that I don't know?

Leave the drain cap alone. Remove the overflow/trip lever faceplate.
You can run a small snake down that.

Or...connect the Shop Vac and suction at the drain. Cover the o'flow
opening with wet rags.

There is nothing "usual" or "standard" about tub drain clogs.
There are a dozen different drain layouts and fittings and while
some clogs are near the tub, others can be as far removed as the
lav basin tie-in.

You play it by ear and try things till it flows freely.,

I discourage chemicals because they don't touch the hair clogs
but DO attack many of the piping materials.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

on one i use a foot of #12 elec wire ,put a hook on the end
and just hook the clog and pull it out. on another ,i bring the garden
hose in the window, put wet rags around it in the drain and the overflow
and flush it out... so ,i got one tub that clogs in the trap and one
that clogs abbout 8 foot downstream.lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

For hair and grease, use a drain cleaner that has the word
"hydroxide", like potassium hydroxide.

For calcium scale, use a drain cleaner that says acid like
"hydrochloric acid".

Bath tub drains are often grease, hair, and body oils. For that,
I'd first try a hydroxide drain cleaner. Follow directions on the
package.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in
message ...
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

For hair and grease, use a drain cleaner that has the word
"hydroxide", like potassium hydroxide.

For calcium scale, use a drain cleaner that says acid like
"hydrochloric acid".

Bath tub drains are often grease, hair, and body oils. For that,
I'd first try a hydroxide drain cleaner. Follow directions on the
package.

--

Stormin, you've been around long enough to stop top-posting. OP, before
you mess with the chemicals, which will only work if the trap is at

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may be able to remove the drain cap by pressing down on it while turning
it. Worked for me.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
Just a basic question of how to unclog. The water does go down the drain,
albeit very very slowly. I'm sure this is due to an accumulation of
hair/gunk.

I can't figure out how to remove the drain cap. It is the type with a
knob that you rotate about 1/4 turn to collapse it to be able to take a
bath, and a 1/4 turn the other way to keep it raised for showering. It
will not unscrew.

I thought I would first try to unscrew the cap to see if I could access
the clog, but I can't even unscrew the cap.

I don't want to have to call a plumber - I'm sure with the right advice
this has to be a simple thing.

Should I apply a commercial drain clog product? Is there a simple way to
remove the drain cap that I don't know?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the shop-vac idea. Using a shop-vac to get the hair from the
tub drain is the first step I take to unclog the drain, and it usually
works fine