Default Clogged kitchen drain

Sorry if this has been covered before but...

I have a clogged kitchen drain. There is a disposal on the sink. Running
the disposal clear the sink, but the water line settles at the top of the
disposal and will not go any lower. I took off the pipes and ran a 25 foot
snake, all of it, and found nothing in the way.

Any ideas?

Ross Mac

"H" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been covered before but...

I have a clogged kitchen drain. There is a disposal on the sink. Running
the disposal clear the sink, but the water line settles at the top of the
disposal and will not go any lower. I took off the pipes and ran a 25
foot
snake, all of it, and found nothing in the way.

Any ideas?

I had a worn out disposal in a rental property once and it was just pushing
the food down into the plumbing. Maybe you need to snake out your drain and
replace the disposal???
Good luck, Ross

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"H" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been covered before but...

I have a clogged kitchen drain. There is a disposal on the sink.

Running
the disposal clear the sink, but the water line settles at the top of

the
disposal and will not go any lower. I took off the pipes and ran a 25
foot
snake, all of it, and found nothing in the way.

Any ideas?

I had a worn out disposal in a rental property once and it was just

pushing
the food down into the plumbing. Maybe you need to snake out your drain

and
replace the disposal???
Good luck, Ross

====================

The disposal is 2 years old, and is top of the line.

I did snake it out -- 25 feet worth of snake -- found nothing in the way.

Anything else?

Speedy Jim

H wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before but...

I have a clogged kitchen drain. There is a disposal on the sink. Running
the disposal clear the sink, but the water line settles at the top of the
disposal and will not go any lower. I took off the pipes and ran a 25 foot
snake, all of it, and found nothing in the way.

Any ideas?

If you were using a little 1/4" cable-in-a-drum snake, it may not be
big enuf to clear a kitchen drain. Often the gooey clog will simply
congeal again after the snake leaves.

Rent a bigger hand-held powered snake with bigger cable and cutter.
Also, make sure the snake actually goes *down* the drain and not *up*
the vent (if it has a vent).

If you are certain there is no vent, you could use one of those
expansion plugs that attach to a garden hose to flush the drain
under pressure. This can be effective in some cases. Do NOT
try it if there is a vent; you may flood the kitchen.

Jim
Ross Mac

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
H wrote:
[...]

Jim's right here....check the vent next.....That is snake the vent from the
roof...that cured some problems for me through the years.....good luck..Ross

Matt

Last night I shaved off my beard. It had been growing since before the
superbowl, so it was quite a bit of hair. I was worried that if I ran
it down the sink it would clog things up, so I scooped it all up and
flushed it instead.

Doug Kanter

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Last night I shaved off my beard. It had been growing since before the
superbowl, so it was quite a bit of hair. I was worried that if I ran
it down the sink it would clog things up, so I scooped it all up and
flushed it instead.

I've heard you can also toss that kind of coarse hair into the garbage, but
I'd probably want to google the subject just to be sure.

Matt

Effi says hair disposed of in that manner can cause cancer.

Jeff Wisnia

Speedy Jim wrote:

If you are certain there is no vent, you could use one of those
expansion plugs that attach to a garden hose to flush the drain
under pressure. This can be effective in some cases. Do NOT
try it if there is a vent; you may flood the kitchen.

Jim

Am I correct in assuming that the flood you refer to occurs when you
take out the expansion plug without realizing that you've just pushed
water up into and filled the ventpipe all the way to its tippy top?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Matt

Jeff, just shut the **** up, you little bitch.

Speedy Jim

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

If you are certain there is no vent, you could use one of those
expansion plugs that attach to a garden hose to flush the drain
under pressure. This can be effective in some cases. Do NOT
try it if there is a vent; you may flood the kitchen.

Jim

Am I correct in assuming that the flood you refer to occurs when you
take out the expansion plug without realizing that you've just pushed
water up into and filled the ventpipe all the way to its tippy top?

Jeff

Yes indeedy! What a surprise it makes!
Jim
Doug Kanter

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Effi says hair disposed of in that manner can cause cancer.

Not if you line your hat with aluminum foil.

Stormin Mormon

Have you ever tried to drain snake a clogged garbage can? Wow, what a silly
idea... throw hair into a garbage bag and set it out to the street.....

sigh some usenet poster. Harumph.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Last night I shaved off my beard. It had been growing since before the
superbowl, so it was quite a bit of hair. I was worried that if I ran
it down the sink it would clog things up, so I scooped it all up and
flushed it instead.

I've heard you can also toss that kind of coarse hair into the garbage, but
I'd probably want to google the subject just to be sure.

Kathy

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html