Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No-mess way to kill flies

Using a fly swatter usually leaves a fusking smudge on walls/ceiling.

Instead, spray the little buggers with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
They drop instantly so you just pick up their nasty squirming little corps with a facial tissue.

Warning:
For those of you miseducated by the pubic school system, don't spray alcohol near sparks or an open flame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-10-23, Sheri wrote:

Using a fly swatter usually leaves a fusking smudge on walls/ceiling.

http://bugasalt.com/

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 08:48 AM, Sheri wrote:

Using a fly swatter usually leaves a fusking smudge on walls/ceiling.

Instead, spray the little buggers with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
They drop instantly so you just pick up their nasty squirming little
corps with a facial tissue.

Warning:
For those of you miseducated by the pubic school system, don't spray
alcohol near sparks or an open flame.

I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the
time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Only once did I end up with a non-phototropic (or possibly low IQ)
fly...so I swatted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the
time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Nice...

For the more sadistically-inclined, there's the entertainment-oriented
strategy that somebody I once knew in Hawaii used: shoot them with a
slingshot loaded with salt. It punches holes in the wings and then
they can be swatted or collected on the floor.

This was after they found that shooting them with squirt guns loaded
with No-Roach left spots on the walls.....

Classy bunch....
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:18:49 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per philo:
I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the
time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Nice...

For the more sadistically-inclined, there's the entertainment-oriented
strategy that somebody I once knew in Hawaii used: shoot them with a
slingshot loaded with salt. It punches holes in the wings and then
they can be swatted or collected on the floor.

This was after they found that shooting them with squirt guns loaded
with No-Roach left spots on the walls.....

Classy bunch....

whos gonna clean up all the salt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 11:42 AM, Akmar Raggyhead wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:18:49 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per philo:
[...]

Maybe ants take it to season their little dinner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:43:00 AM UTC-4, Akmar Raggyhead wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:18:49 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per philo:
[...]

they are called.....wait for it

a salt guns

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:57:19 -0400, Harry Hymen
wrote:

On 10/23/2015 11:42 AM, Akmar Raggyhead wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:18:49 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per philo:
[...]

good point
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:12:42 -0500, philo wrote:

[...]

Was he in line for the short bus?
Was he wearing a helmet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 11:07 AM, Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

Don't know but he's now out of the gene pool
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 10:12 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

I have Venus Flytrap plants, so they catch the pests and digest them!
If I happen to find a couple flying around the house I'll swat them
myself and either feed them to my plants or my big fish in my 58 gallon
aquarium. The fish fight each other for dibs on the floating desert.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , philo
wrote:

On 10/23/2015 08:48 AM, Sheri wrote:

Using a fly swatter usually leaves a fusking smudge on walls/ceiling.

Instead, spray the little buggers with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
They drop instantly so you just pick up their nasty squirming little
corps with a facial tissue.

Warning:
For those of you miseducated by the pubic school system, don't spray
alcohol near sparks or an open flame.

I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the
time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Then prepare to deal with the bat that flew in looking for a quick meal
of fly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2015 12:20 PM, Mark Storkamp wrote:
I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the
time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Then prepare to deal with the bat that flew in looking for a quick meal
of fly.

No bat has ever gotten in here or would want to with my two cats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per philo:
I have a considerably easier and cleaner way to do it. Works most of the
time.

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Nice...

For the more sadistically-inclined, there's the entertainment-oriented
strategy that somebody I once knew in Hawaii used: shoot them with a
slingshot loaded with salt. It punches holes in the wings and then
they can be swatted or collected on the floor.

This was after they found that shooting them with squirt guns loaded
with No-Roach left spots on the walls.....

Classy bunch....

Take a look at the electric fly swatter:
http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html.

You don't really swat them, they fly into it. Even a tiny gnat makes a
big bang!

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

Since flies are phototropic it's a simple as turning off all lights and
letting them go to a window...then opening it an letting them out.

If night time. I turn off all lights except for the one by the door...
when the fly goes there, turn on the outside light, turn off in inside
light and open the door.

Apologies if I mentioned this here before.

I installed "touch switch modules" in four brass bodied table lamps in
our home many years ago.

SWIMBO and I find it much easier to just reach over and tap the lamp
body to turn the lamp on to the desired one of the three available
intensities rather than having to reach up under the lampshade and hunt
for the rotary switch handle sticking out of the bulb socket.

Shortly thereafter I also installed fuse holders in series with the hot
lead to the bulbs with a 3AG 2 Amp fast blow fuse in them so that the
"tungsten arc" which sometimes occurs when an incandescent bulb burns
out only blows out a 25 cent fuse, instead of the touch dimmer module.

Anyway, to get to the point raised by your saying that flies are
phototropic, they certainly are in my house. Every so often I'm startled
by one of the lit touch dimmer lamps changing intensity or turning off
and on "by itself".

If I look inside the lampshade I always see a fly (or sometimes its a
beetle) walking in a circle around the upper edge of the brass socket
shell and occasionally having one of it's legs touch the top of the lamp
bulb's threaded shell.

The current through the insect's body is more than enough to activate
the touch switch, and they don't seem to be bothered by it because they
keep walking around.

I suppose I could just slip an o-ring on the bulb to keep the insect's
legs from touching the bulb base, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Flies ... Arfa Daily UK diy 34 August 6th 11 05:38 PM
Flies LSMFT Home Repair 24 April 7th 10 03:31 PM
I have flies Thomas Home Repair 5 August 9th 09 03:57 PM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 02:03 AM
OT - NRA would argue, "Government policies don't kill people, hurricanes kill people." Cliff Metalworking 155 September 21st 05 05:10 PM