Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flies

I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If your porch has a
door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice them at the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the winter,
no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

Probably a window's virus is just spewing out extra files.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in
the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one
flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If
your porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you
do not notice them at the time.

This might be a plausible source for the flies: maggots or eggs
that you brought in from the yard.

Long ago, we had a mountain cabin. Like the house you describe,
it was as tight as I could make it. I don't recall ever seeing a
fly or even a bug in the cabin. Then, one summer evening, I
poured a glass of Jose Cuervo tequilla and went to bed to read and
watch TV. There was still a good bit in the glass when I went to
sleep. The next morning, when I got up I took the glass into the
bathroom to dump out the remains and to rinse it out. What I
poured into the sink was at least 3 DOZEN gnats/fruit flies. I'd
never seen them before and never saw them afterward.

The theory we cobbled up was that in walking about in the yard,
someone in our cabin stepped in "something" that contained the
eggs or maggots, and then tracked them into the cabin. They
happened to come to maturity on the day or evening I poured the
tequila.

FWIW, I followed up with an insect attractant-type of bait. Over
2-3 weeks it was in the cabin, it attracted nothing at all.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Apr 5, 3:09*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
[...]

.

==
So tequila is good for attracting fruit flies? Good to know.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote the following:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?

Get a good email screener They can stop files from getting in. :-)
..
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote the following:
"LSMFT" wrote in message

I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the winter,
no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

Probably a window's virus is just spewing out extra files.

You beat me to it. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 3:09 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
[...]

Its good enough that whenever I now take a sip, I look in the
glass first. Grin

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spanish speaking fruit flies?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roy" wrote in message

fly or even a bug in the cabin. Then, one summer evening,
poured a glass of Jose Cuervo tequilla and went to bed to
read and
watch TV. There was still a good bit in the glass when I
went to
sleep. The next morning, when I got up I took the glass
into the
bathroom to dump out the remains and to rinse it out. What
poured into the sink was at least 3 DOZEN gnats/fruit
flies. I'd
never seen them before and never saw them afterward.

==
So tequila is good for attracting fruit flies? Good to know.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:09:40 -0700, "Nonny" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in
the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one
flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If
your porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you
do not notice them at the time.

This might be a plausible source for the flies: maggots or eggs
that you brought in from the yard.

Long ago, we had a mountain cabin. Like the house you describe,
it was as tight as I could make it. I don't recall ever seeing a
fly or even a bug in the cabin. Then, one summer evening, I
poured a glass of Jose Cuervo tequilla and went to bed to read and

You drink Tequilla and read? Most of us drink Tequilla and then hunt
something to F or Fight. And it really doesn't matter which one.
watch TV. There was still a good bit in the glass when I went to
sleep. The next morning, when I got up I took the glass into the
bathroom to dump out the remains and to rinse it out. What I
poured into the sink was at least 3 DOZEN gnats/fruit flies. I'd
never seen them before and never saw them afterward.

The theory we cobbled up was that in walking about in the yard,
someone in our cabin stepped in "something" that contained the
eggs or maggots, and then tracked them into the cabin. They
happened to come to maturity on the day or evening I poured the
tequila.

FWIW, I followed up with an insect attractant-type of bait. Over
2-3 weeks it was in the cabin, it attracted nothing at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:49:13 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Long ago, we had a mountain cabin. Like the house you describe,
it was as tight as I could make it. I don't recall ever seeing a
fly or even a bug in the cabin. Then, one summer evening, I
poured a glass of Jose Cuervo tequilla and went to bed to read and

You drink Tequilla and read? Most of us drink Tequilla and then hunt
something to F or Fight. And it really doesn't matter which one.

Hey, Tequila will make you go to work on your day off !
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the winter,
no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

I take it you use your transporter to beam in and out of your house so you
don't have to open the door ?? LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote in message
news

"Peter" wrote in message
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
[...]

I worked extensively with fruit flies as a teacher's aide. My job was to
hatch and raise them for student's genetic projects.

I would guarantee you that if you went to the fruit and vegetables in your
house right now, that there would be fruit fly eggs on them, ready to hatch
out.

The flies you saw at your cabin were probably already there, or just
reaching a stage where they could fly. As with the OP, the flies were
either already there, or were in a stage ready to hatch out and fly.
Without very expensive air filtration systems, or poison, it is very
difficult to eliminate flies anywhere, as once you do, more move right in.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote

Its good enough that whenever I now take a sip, I look in the glass first.
Grin

Yellow jackets love soda pop. I let you fill in the blanks.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:54:29 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Nonny" wrote

Its good enough that whenever I now take a sip, I look in the glass first.
Grin

Yellow jackets love soda pop. I let you fill in the blanks.

....and beer. DAMHIK

AIUI, they're only into sweets part of the year. In the fall, again AIUI,
they're into protein for the winter nap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

I knew a guy who was a "slobsophrenic". That's a crazy slob if you're
wondering. He wouldn't take care of his cats beyond throwing some food
on the floor for them. The cats would become ill and die under the
house. Flies would find any opening from under the house to come up
through the walls or any kind of crack in the flooring. It was very
strange and disconcerting to see flies come out of nowhere. It's quite
possible that you may have had some sort of critter die under your
house and it is now a mother ship for maggots.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
"LSMFT" wrote in message
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the winter,
no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?

stuff snipped

I take it you use your transporter to beam in and out of your house so you
don't have to open the door ?? LOL...

grin Even that method is prone to error, as David Hedison found out,
flying around the garden and getting stuck in a spider web, waiting for
Vincent Price to mercifully swat him after a fly hitched a ride into the
transporter chamber and heads got switched. "Help me! Help me!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051622/

Bart Simpson's adventure was just as good when they used "The Fly" as the
basis for one of their "Treehouse of Horror" episodes. Even Jeff Goldblum's
turn at bat was interesting and now the hairs on my back *really* creep me
out and I don't like elbow macaroni much after seeing the baboon transport
gone horribly wrong.

But seriously, we had a fly problem at work, on the 16th floor of a building
without any fly troubles or obvious entry points (sealed windows).

The cause turned out to be a co-worker who brought in a house plant from
home that had been sitting outside for a few weeks in the summer, having
thousands of eggs laid on it.

I had the same experience, bringing in plants that had been sitting on the
front porch. I haven't made that mistake since. I even nuke potting soil
in the microwave now, because my little mistake ended up with more flys than
you can imagine. Each fly has the same iridescent green markings that
suggested they were all hatchlings from the same batch of eggs.

I learned a lot about the life cycle of the common house fly that year,
which can go from teeny gnat-sized (still the same shiny green color) to
large regular fly to giant old fly in a month. But mostly I learned never
to bring in a houseplant from the porch once it's been sitting out there
long enough to get covered with fly eggs (about 2 days will do).

Also, when very young, flies are quite small enough to pass through the mesh
of the average window screen and then grow so quickly they can't exit the
same way.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 2:17*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

Got mice, mice die, Get flies
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If your
porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice
them at the time.

I thought house flies had to be maggots first. I don't have any road
kill or dog turds in my house.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
news

wrote in message
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
[...]

House flies need to be maggots first don't they? I don't have any road
kill or dog turds in my house for maggots to feast on.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2010 8:47 AM, LSMFT wrote:
Peter wrote:
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If your
porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice
them at the time.

I thought house flies had to be maggots first. I don't have any road
kill or dog turds in my house.

Before they are maggots, they are eggs, almost microscopic in size. You can
track them in on your shoes. In any case, hang a few rolls of fly paper from
your porch ceiling and don't worry about it. At least you're not afflicted with
an infestation of termites, stinging insects, or other far more bothersome critters!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote the following:
On Apr 5, 3:09 pm, "Nonny" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:

[...]

How do fruit flies reproduce? :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
Peter wrote:
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If your
porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice
them at the time.

I thought house flies had to be maggots first. I don't have any road
kill or dog turds in my house.

Houseflies are of the order Diptera, and Diptera can tolerate freezing.
In Vermont, snow would slide off the slate roof of the church and
pile up all winter. On the first warm day, thousands of flies would
emerge as the snow banks melted. On an autumn evening, I suppose they
would crawl under a warm slate, then hybernate, then freeze, then be
pulled of by sliding snow, frozen but alive.

I sometimes get flies in my house in winter. I believe they crawl into
a warm exterior crack as winter comes and eventually find their way into
the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Nonny" wrote
Its good enough that whenever I now take a sip, I look in the glass first.
Grin

Yellow jackets love soda pop. I let you fill in the blanks.

Steve

Yellow jackets, and lots of insects seem to be a little smarter than us.
Or at least their sense of smell is more sophisticated then ours.
You won't find a yellow jacket in a can of DIET soda. They don't smell
sugar and keep on going. That should tell us something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 8:22*am, Tony wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"Nonny" wrote
Its good enough that whenever I now take a sip, I look in the glass first.
Grin

Yellow jackets love soda pop. *I let you fill in the blanks.

Steve

Yellow jackets, and lots of insects seem to be a little smarter than us.
* * Or at least their sense of smell is more sophisticated then ours.
You won't find a yellow jacket in a can of DIET soda. *They don't smell
sugar and keep on going. *That should tell us something.

It tells us that there is no food value in diet soda, something most
of us already know.

O/T: They Are Dropping Like Flies Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 12 September 18th 09 11:02 AM
I have flies Thomas Home Repair 5 August 9th 09 03:57 PM
Flies in the shop!! steamer Metalworking 34 October 7th 08 08:15 AM
Eliminating flies ? Eddy Bentley UK diy 21 September 11th 07 03:55 PM
Cluster flies Guy King UK diy 2 October 15th 06 04:52 PM