Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Flies

LSMFT wrote:
Peter wrote:
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If your
porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice
them at the time.

I thought house flies had to be maggots first. I don't have any road
kill or dog turds in my house.

Houseflies are of the order Diptera, and Diptera can tolerate freezing.
In Vermont, snow would slide off the slate roof of the church and
pile up all winter. On the first warm day, thousands of flies would
emerge as the snow banks melted. On an autumn evening, I suppose they
would crawl under a warm slate, then hybernate, then freeze, then be
pulled of by sliding snow, frozen but alive.

I sometimes get flies in my house in winter. I believe they crawl into
a warm exterior crack as winter comes and eventually find their way into
the house.