Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_9_] Steve B[_9_] is offline

Default Flies

"Nonny" wrote in message
news

"Peter" wrote in message
On 4/5/2010 3:17 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I have new windows and doors, my house is tight. No drafts in the
winter, no air leaks felt. How in hell do files still get in?
I keep finding dead ones on my porch carpet and sometimes one flying
around on a warm day. I can't find where they get in.

Maybe they are newly hatched eggs from last season's flies? If your
porch has a door, and you use it, they get it even if you do not notice
them at the time.

This might be a plausible source for the flies: maggots or eggs that you
brought in from the yard.

Long ago, we had a mountain cabin. Like the house you describe, it was as
tight as I could make it. I don't recall ever seeing a fly or even a bug
in the cabin. Then, one summer evening, I poured a glass of Jose Cuervo
tequilla and went to bed to read and watch TV. There was still a good bit
in the glass when I went to sleep. The next morning, when I got up I took
the glass into the bathroom to dump out the remains and to rinse it out.
What I poured into the sink was at least 3 DOZEN gnats/fruit flies. I'd
never seen them before and never saw them afterward.

The theory we cobbled up was that in walking about in the yard, someone in
our cabin stepped in "something" that contained the eggs or maggots, and
then tracked them into the cabin. They happened to come to maturity on
the day or evening I poured the tequila.

FWIW, I followed up with an insect attractant-type of bait. Over 2-3
weeks it was in the cabin, it attracted nothing at all.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain

I worked extensively with fruit flies as a teacher's aide. My job was to
hatch and raise them for student's genetic projects.

I would guarantee you that if you went to the fruit and vegetables in your
house right now, that there would be fruit fly eggs on them, ready to hatch
out.

The flies you saw at your cabin were probably already there, or just
reaching a stage where they could fly. As with the OP, the flies were
either already there, or were in a stage ready to hatch out and fly.
Without very expensive air filtration systems, or poison, it is very
difficult to eliminate flies anywhere, as once you do, more move right in.

Steve