Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bonding rubber sheets

I have two sheets of "rubber" -- ea approx 6x12" -- that I would like to
bond together (face to face) AS IF they were a single sheet. I.e.,
6x12" but thicker.

"Rubber cement"!

But, last time I used this was in grade school and I don't recall
using it for *rubber*!

Nor do I recall it as being a particularly strong bond! OTOH,
I (belatedly!) understand that such an adhesive needs to be flexible
(at least in some applications -- mine) and not brittle!

I'm concerned primarily with shear loads, vibration, temperature
extremes (-30F -- +130F), moisture, etc.

Does "rubber cement" have these characteristics? Was my childhood
exposure to it just driven by some *other* "advantage" that it
had, back then (cheap, safe, etc.) -- considering the uses a
kid would have for it wouldn't tend to need "strength", durability,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

You want contact cement . Try to get the solvent based , the latex stuff (at
least in years past) is junk .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

My experiance has been that contact cement softens and fails at higher temps.

Try superglue on a sample. I have had good results with it for several rubber
type compounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:22:13 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Don Y wrote:
[...]

There is a product called "last glue" - very much like superglue, but
designed for bonding "O"ring material etc. I've never had any luck
with "crazy glue", but this stuff is FANTASTIC.. Bonds virtually
anything to anything and is not a "brittle bond"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don Y wrote:
[...]

Would be interesting to know how thick the sheets are, how much
bending/flexing
is needed and what's the consequence of failure.
Off the top of my inexperienced head, wouldn't vulcanizing be a better
choice than trying to glue something that's flexing?

Half a square foot of rubber sheet can't be all that expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How thick are these sheets? Maybe you could try sewing them together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Clare's suggested product - a new one on me - but sounds good.
https://www.thelastglue.com/products/
My first thought was the rubber cement used for patching inner tubes.

Also - an old web site was once dedicated to gluing -
http://www.thistothat.com/
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 10:02:10 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I've used this stuff for closed cell rubber pipe insulation. It works for all kinds of rubber stuff like rubber sheet insulation. Johnstone Supply and other HVAC supply houses sell it. ^_^

http://www.insulationfabricators.com...-adhesive.html

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/stor...ep?pID=G80-236

[8~{} Uncle Glue Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:02:14 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

See: http://www.thistothat.com/ (glue advice)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:

Does "rubber cement" have these characteristics? Was my childhood
exposure to it just driven by some *other* "advantage" that it
had, back then (cheap, safe, etc.) -- considering the uses a
kid would have for it wouldn't tend to need "strength", durability,
etc.

You want contact cement . Try to get the solvent based , the latex stuff (at
least in years past) is junk .

Visited a larger, well stocked hardware store this morning. I.e.,
they have a "glue aisle". After reading labels, selected what *I*
thought would be the best product.

Sales droid, unaware of my selection, then selected the same
product.

Tried this on returning home. Perfect! Those pieces will never
be coming apart, now! Though product claims it should cure for
many *days* (WTF?!).

Having *finished* the job, read the label more thoroughly and note
that it calls itself a "contact adhesive". (sure dries *fast*, though)

Thanks, again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:00:48 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Visited a larger, well stocked hardware store this morning. I.e.,
they have a "glue aisle". After reading labels, selected what *I*
thought would be the best product.

Sales droid, unaware of my selection, then selected the same
product.

Tried this on returning home. Perfect! Those pieces will never
be coming apart, now! Though product claims it should cure for
many *days* (WTF?!).

Having *finished* the job, read the label more thoroughly and note
that it calls itself a "contact adhesive". (sure dries *fast*, though)

Wonder if it has a brand name or is it double top secret?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Visited a larger, well stocked hardware store this morning. I.e.,
they have a "glue aisle". After reading labels, selected what *I*
thought would be the best product.

Sales droid, unaware of my selection, then selected the same
product.

Tried this on returning home. Perfect! Those pieces will never
be coming apart, now! Though product claims it should cure for
many *days* (WTF?!).

Having *finished* the job, read the label more thoroughly and note
that it calls itself a "contact adhesive". (sure dries *fast*, though)

Wonder if it has a brand name or is it double top secret?

I used to use "Plyobond" for a lot of that kind of use, years ago.
Not sure if it is still available. Found it was tougher than Lepages
"contact cement"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Visited a larger, well stocked hardware store this morning. I.e.,
they have a "glue aisle". After reading labels, selected what *I*
thought would be the best product.

Sales droid, unaware of my selection, then selected the same
product.

Tried this on returning home. Perfect! Those pieces will never
be coming apart, now! Though product claims it should cure for
many *days* (WTF?!).

Having *finished* the job, read the label more thoroughly and note
that it calls itself a "contact adhesive". (sure dries *fast*, though)

Wonder if it has a brand name or is it double top secret?

Only the dean knows...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Default Don Yubberlipz writes about "rubber sheets"

On 10/11/2015 8:02 PM, Don Y wrote:
I have two sheets of "rubber" -- ea approx 6x12" -- that I would like to
bond together (face to face) AS IF they were a single sheet. I.e.,
6x12" but thicker.

{lip snip ;-) }

You can buy plastic sheets (don't know about rubber o_O) over the
internet, which is better than buying them at a retail outfit.
Especially when the lady at the register gets on the PA and sez: "Can
anyone in bedding check the rubber sheets, king size, please!"

LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Visited a larger, well stocked hardware store this morning. I.e.,
they have a "glue aisle". After reading labels, selected what *I*
thought would be the best product.

Sales droid, unaware of my selection, then selected the same
product.

Tried this on returning home. Perfect! Those pieces will never
be coming apart, now! Though product claims it should cure for
many *days* (WTF?!).

Having *finished* the job, read the label more thoroughly and note
that it calls itself a "contact adhesive". (sure dries *fast*, though)

Wonder if it has a brand name or is it double top secret?

I used to use "Plyobond" for a lot of that kind of use, years ago.
Not sure if it is still available. Found it was tougher than Lepages
"contact cement"

IMNSHO, things like rubber cement and contact cement are basically the
same solvent(s) at different concentrations and with different amount of
thickeners.

I recently needed to bond some rubber, and not having anything
appropriate, I used an already opened can of plasti-dip (which has a
very strong solvent stink). The rubber stuck to itself very well, but
in the future I would like to do some experiments and try to figure out
which specific solvent(s) are the best to use for rubber.

We already know that tetrahydrofuran is the cat's pajamas for vinyl (and
PVC) applications, now we just need to figure out what rubber wants.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It will depend on what kind of "rubber" it is - - -many kinds of
synthetic rubbers, and different concentrations of natural rubber
mixed with them - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never used Rubber Cement. I just slip the rubber on my dick and get
down to business!