Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bonding rubber sheets

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:22:13 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Don Y wrote:
I have two sheets of "rubber" -- ea approx 6x12" -- that I would like
to bond together (face to face) AS IF they were a single sheet. I.e.,
6x12" but thicker.

"Rubber cement"!

But, last time I used this was in grade school and I don't recall
using it for *rubber*!

Nor do I recall it as being a particularly strong bond! OTOH,
I (belatedly!) understand that such an adhesive needs to be flexible
(at least in some applications -- mine) and not brittle!

I'm concerned primarily with shear loads, vibration, temperature
extremes (-30F -- +130F), moisture, etc.

Does "rubber cement" have these characteristics? Was my childhood
exposure to it just driven by some *other* "advantage" that it
had, back then (cheap, safe, etc.) -- considering the uses a
kid would have for it wouldn't tend to need "strength", durability,
etc.

My experiance has been that contact cement softens and fails at higher temps.

Try superglue on a sample. I have had good results with it for several rubber
type compounds.

There is a product called "last glue" - very much like superglue, but
designed for bonding "O"ring material etc. I've never had any luck
with "crazy glue", but this stuff is FANTASTIC.. Bonds virtually
anything to anything and is not a "brittle bond"