Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bonding PVC to rubber?

I've got an adhesion challenge of dealing with 2 dissimilar materials in a
backyard project.

I'm using two DOERR stock feeder tanks filled with sand as homes for my
horseshoe pitching stakes. The tanks are mostly buried underground except
that the top edge is above ground with 2" exposed. This edge is actually a
totally closed hollow rim that roughly resembles the shape of a torus
(hollow ring). I suppose being rounded makes that top edge more friendly and
smooth to the necks of the horse and cattle population while they stretch
and reach for their regular drinks of water; plus, perhaps less vulnerable
to cracking that could start from a straight sharp edge, then propagate down
the wall and threaten the containers properties.

The base material looks like PVC but that's a guess.

I'd like to protect this rim against the occasional impact of a steel
pitching horseshoe.

Today I picked up a huge truck rubber tire tube that could serve as a bumper
if I fastened a strip to the top rim of the tank. the rubber is a robust
1/8" thick. I believe the tank material is some 1/16" thick.

Fastening the two materials may be my biggest challenge.

I've thought about using those "butterfly screws" readily available at
hardware stores. They're real handy for fastening items to thin walls. The
top rim of my tanks fit that description. One problem is that they would be
vulnerable with the impact of a 2 1/2 lb stray horseshoe.

Then I've got an unopened tube of Super Glue. That's supposed to work on
any material combo.

I've got an unused bottle of Gorilla glue but I'm not sure about its
adhesion to these materials.

I've also got nearly a quart of Bondo Gel left over from a recent project.
It comes with a tube of hardener and the mix must be quickly used before it
hardens. I'd love to use this as I've got plenty to do this project but see
nothing in its specs about bonding to rubber. I suppose it also would be
vulnerable to impact as this stuff appears to be brittle when cured.

What are your thoughts?

Len

Posted to alt.home.repair

2 stainless steel hose clamps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 10:45:10 -0500, "fatfreek"
wrote:

I've got an adhesion challenge of dealing with 2 dissimilar materials in a
backyard project.

http://www.thistothat.com/index.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fatfreek" wrote in message
[...]

I like the burial method suggested by another the best.

For glue I would use liquid nails or a clone. Worst case after a few hundred
hits you have to repeat the glue.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2010 11:45 AM, fatfreek wrote:
[...]

I'd buy some of the pool noodle foam things the kids use, slit them, and
snap them over the tank edge, no glue needed. They only cost a couple
bucks apiece, so even if you have to replace them yearly, no big deal. I
see more slit pool noodles on car and truck roof racks than I do in
pools, it seems. I don't think you are gonna have much luck bonding
anything to those tanks- they are designed to be crud-impervious for
easy cleaning.

--
aem sends...