Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roof leak after days of rain

I live in the Northeast and we've just had several days of almost
continuous rain. Unfortunately, when I went into the laundry room of
the house today, I happened to notice some water on top of the paper
towel package I keep there. It wasn't much considering all the rain
we've had, probably 1/10 of an ounce if I were to label it, but I do see
the area of the roof that was stained with water. There is no attic in
the laundry room, so I can look right up at the roofing rafters. The
area is quite small and already dry. I quick peak at the area on the
roof itself and I don't see anything suspect, no broken or damaged
shingles that I can see.

This roof is 10 years old and hasn't leaked so far, but I am a bit
concerned, especially since there doesn't appear to be anything obvious.
I'd appreciate any tips as to what I should check and look for. Once
the weather clears, I'll try and post a photo of the area but the
weather is still inclement at this time.

Thanks for any help,
Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 11:41 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

In NE, chances are you've a (steeply) peaked roof. Note that the leak will
be somewhere *above* the point where the water "dripped" down. It is
seldom *exactly* at that location. If the drip is on the "left" side
of the roof peak, then your leak will be on the left of the peak -- but
closer to the peak (by some amount).

Do you have a ridge vent? Driving rain can exploit this "hole" (slot) in
your roof.

If you had high winds/driving rain, remember that water can flow
*up*, under the shingles. Most asphalt shingles are designed with
a dab of tar to seal them to the course beneath. Over time, (and
temperature, brittleness, etc.) this "tackiness" isn't always enough.

In any case, you will probably want it resolved before winter and
ice starts lifting shingles and "growing" defects.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 14:41:51 -0400, Sam Seagate
wrote:

[...]

While it rains, visit the attic and look for wet areas. Water travels
along trusses and can drip down at a distant location, so the leak is
not really where you may think it is. Does your dryer exhaust vent go
through the roof or out the exterior side wall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

In addition to the advice others have given, look at the boots around
stack vents. I had a leak that only showed up during excessive rain due
to the stack vent having dropped slightly in the attic. That caused a
dimple to form around the stack vent boot and it caused water to
accumulate in that dimple. It was easy to understand once it was found,
but not at all obvious while searching for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2015 6:27 PM, Ken wrote:

In addition to the advice others have given, look at the boots around stack
vents. I had a leak that only showed up during excessive rain due to the stack
vent having dropped slightly in the attic. That caused a dimple to form around
the stack vent boot and it caused water to accumulate in that dimple. It was
easy to understand once it was found, but not at all obvious while searching
for it.

Each year, I examine our roof for "problem areas". We have:
- vent stacks for kitchen and two bathrooms
- exhaust fans for kitchen and bathrooms
- water heater and furnace exhaust
- water heater and furnace combustion reliefs
- several "wire entries" (CATV to interior walls)
- downdraft cooler air inlet
- water line for swamp cooler
- 220VAC supply for cooler plus "signal control"
- a few skylights
- 6 or 8 large "roof vents" on the high side (flat roof) of the roof

I.e., we have lots of places where the roof has been intentionally
perforated. Each of these represents an opportunity for a leak
to develop.

Many years ago, after watching problems neighbors were FREQUENTLY
having (often being conned into replacing their entire roofs!),
I learned that *removing* much of the old "patch"/sealant in each
of these places BEFORE applying "new" leads to greater roof
integrity.

But, it's a fair bit of work -- the "patch" compound isn't designed
to come *off* easily! :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 8:54:47 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 10/3/2015 6:27 PM, Ken wrote:

[...]

I was at a roofing supply house some years ago and the counterman there showed me a roof patching compound that cured into a flexible rubber like coating. The stuff is so tough and tenacious it's nicknamed "Batman Suit" because it's pretty much bulletproof. I've never tried any but I thought it would be good to squeeze into the cracks around the doors of some jerk's vehicle to glue it shut. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tenacious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Oct 2015 20:27:24 -0500, Ken
wrote:

Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

I bought my house in May when it was 4 years old, and woke up
Thanksgiving morning to see water dripping from the bedroom ceiling.

Rain was coming in around the metal fireplace chimney. The previous
owner had tried to caulk (with silicone) from the inside, into a deep
cone, and there's no chance that's going to work. I went on the roof
and caulked from the outside with some black roofing caulk, and
everything was fine until I got a new roof 20 years later.

By then I'd noticed that the metal drip collar that goes around a round
metal chimney was missing entirely from that chimney, though the furnace
chimney had one. A couple of my townhouse neighbors were mssing one
also.

Boy, was it hard to buy one. I forget where all I looked -- hardware
stores -- but ended up 20 miles north of here at a fireplace store in
Westminster. Especially strange since there's only one model that fits
all diameters (if you cut the main part as narrow as the leading tab for
chimneys my size. Allow an hour or two to do that if your compulsively
precise. ) I'm sure it works as well as fixed diameter ones, it's just
a two inch skirt to get the water to fall on the roof away from chimney.

I know there's no special reason to suspect your chimney, but since I
found this catalog, here it is,
http://regionalchimneysupply.com/dow...%202010WEB.pdf

Even this place doesn't have it!!!!! It has storm collars 3, 4, 5, 6,
7, and 8" diameter, but I think my chimney's a lot bigger, and also
these have to slide on from the top. On old work, you'd have to remove
the cap. What I wanted wrapped around like a belt and then bent back
to fasten.

It's not like they don't make it. Why is it so hard to find?

Years earlier, when the metal chimney cap broke off and wouldn't stay on
anymore, others had the same problem and no one sold the original cap, w
which was attractive. The new one is less wide and looks funny, in
comparison.

Take a look at the unusual saw on page 37,

http://www.as170.com/index2.html 13 amps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2015 03:09 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I read the others posts here along with yours. There is not a
chimney or commode vent pipe above the area, but a ridge vent was made
when the roof was reapplied ten years ago. Previous to that, there was
no roof vent. Chances are, it may have come from that. In addition to
the rain, we've also been having lots of gusty winds so it could be that
the wind drove the rain in/thru the venting.

If you had high winds/driving rain, remember that water can flow
*up*, under the shingles. Most asphalt shingles are designed with
a dab of tar to seal them to the course beneath. Over time, (and
temperature, brittleness, etc.) this "tackiness" isn't always enough.

In any case, you will probably want it resolved before winter and
ice starts lifting shingles and "growing" defects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, will head upstairs next time it rains. No, the dryer exhaust
vents through the side. There are no chimneys, commode vents, etc above
where the area is, but there is a roof vent/strip that was installed
when the new roof was applied 10 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2015 6:21 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:

Do you have a ridge vent? Driving rain can exploit this "hole" (slot) in
your roof.

Thanks. I read the others posts here along with yours. There is not a chimney
or commode vent pipe above the area, but a ridge vent was made when the roof
was reapplied ten years ago. Previous to that, there was no roof vent.
Chances are, it may have come from that. In addition to the rain, we've also
been having lots of gusty winds so it could be that the wind drove the rain
in/thru the venting.

Exactly. A neighbor had "evidence" of a leak just inside the *exterior*
wall of his home. Water had, in fact, been driven into the ridge vent
and traveled down the rafters until it got to the outside wall -- where
it could go no further and decided to manifest.

Of course, you may have a leak around a nail hole, etc. But, don't rule
out the vent as a "non leak" source of problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 09:23:51 -0400, Sam Seagate
wrote:

While it rains, visit the attic and look for wet areas. Water travels
along trusses and can drip down at a distant location, so the leak is
not really where you may think it is. Does your dryer exhaust vent go
through the roof or out the exterior side wall?

Thanks, will head upstairs next time it rains. No, the dryer exhaust
vents through the side. There are no chimneys, commode vents, etc above
where the area is, but there is a roof vent/strip that was installed
when the new roof was applied 10 years ago.

Do you know if plastic baffles were installed inside the attic at the
soffit ridge vent? They enhance ventilation circulation and serve as
a wind baffle that can prevent driven rain. They also serve to stop
attic insulation from clogging the vent.

Pic:

http://www.showroom411.com/Media/CMS/2011/Attic%20Ventilation%20Baffles.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/04/2015 10:06 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I was going to mention that. Somewhat near the area, perhaps a little
above, I did notice an exposed nail. I'm not sure whether or not I
should be seeing any because I thought nails were only underneath of the
shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2015 12:12 PM, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

Nails should be covered by the course above. Typically (third cut asphalt
shingles), you drive a *roofing* nail (verify!) in on each end of the shingle
(a couple of inches in from each end and about an inch above the highest
point of the "slot" that separates each of the three tabs). Then, two more
nails, one above each of those slots.

As the lower edge of the course above should come down to the tops of those
slots, these nails will be covered by that course (unless the shingles start
to "curl" with age and "creep up" to expose the nail heads). There's usually
a blob of tar on the shingle to cause the two courses to adhere to each
other to encourage the tabs to stick to the course below.

My experience with water have left me thinking it is *sneaky* and
often does things that *seem* impossible!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 3:12:15 PM UTC-4, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

Before I had my roof replaced, I had trouble with "nail pops" causing
leaks. Occasionally, a roofing nail would work its way out and would
eventually cut right through the shingle that used to cover it. It wasn't
the curling of the tab that exposed the head, it was the nail head itself
ripping right through the shingle.

To repair it, I'd lift the tab, remove the loose nail and put roofing tar
under the tab so that it oozed up through the hole that the nail had made,
sealing it. I did this a couple of times a year until I finally decided
it was time for a new roof and gutters, plus soffit vents, a ridge
vent, insulation baffles, etc. It was a big expense, but it was done right
and now my attic is cooler in the summer so I'm not cooking the new roof
from underneath.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I was at a roofing supply house some years ago and the counterman there showed me a roof patching compound that cured into a flexible rubber like coating. The stuff is so tough and tenacious it's nicknamed "Batman Suit" because it's pretty much bulletproof. I've never tried any but I thought it would be good to squeeze into the cracks around the doors of some jerk's vehicle to glue it shut. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tenacious Monster

About 6" of weatherstrip adhesive will do the trick.

--
Tekkie