Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Seagate Sam Seagate is offline

Default roof leak after days of rain

On 10/03/2015 03:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 14:41:51 -0400, Sam Seagate
wrote:

I live in the Northeast and we've just had several days of almost
continuous rain. Unfortunately, when I went into the laundry room of
the house today, I happened to notice some water on top of the paper
towel package I keep there. It wasn't much considering all the rain
we've had, probably 1/10 of an ounce if I were to label it, but I do see
the area of the roof that was stained with water. There is no attic in
the laundry room, so I can look right up at the roofing rafters. The
area is quite small and already dry. I quick peak at the area on the
roof itself and I don't see anything suspect, no broken or damaged
shingles that I can see.

This roof is 10 years old and hasn't leaked so far, but I am a bit
concerned, especially since there doesn't appear to be anything obvious.
I'd appreciate any tips as to what I should check and look for. Once
the weather clears, I'll try and post a photo of the area but the
weather is still inclement at this time.

Thanks for any help,
Sam

While it rains, visit the attic and look for wet areas. Water travels
along trusses and can drip down at a distant location, so the leak is
not really where you may think it is. Does your dryer exhaust vent go
through the roof or out the exterior side wall?

Thanks, will head upstairs next time it rains. No, the dryer exhaust
vents through the side. There are no chimneys, commode vents, etc above
where the area is, but there is a roof vent/strip that was installed
when the new roof was applied 10 years ago.