Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default roof leak after days of rain

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 3:12:15 PM UTC-4, Sam Seagate wrote:
On 10/04/2015 10:06 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/4/2015 6:21 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:

Do you have a ridge vent? Driving rain can exploit this "hole"
(slot) in
your roof.

Thanks. I read the others posts here along with yours. There is not
a chimney
or commode vent pipe above the area, but a ridge vent was made when
the roof
was reapplied ten years ago. Previous to that, there was no roof vent.
Chances are, it may have come from that. In addition to the rain,
we've also
been having lots of gusty winds so it could be that the wind drove the
rain
in/thru the venting.

Exactly. A neighbor had "evidence" of a leak just inside the *exterior*
wall of his home. Water had, in fact, been driven into the ridge vent
and traveled down the rafters until it got to the outside wall -- where
it could go no further and decided to manifest.

Of course, you may have a leak around a nail hole, etc. But, don't rule
out the vent as a "non leak" source of problem.

I was going to mention that. Somewhat near the area, perhaps a little
above, I did notice an exposed nail. I'm not sure whether or not I
should be seeing any because I thought nails were only underneath of the
shingles.

Before I had my roof replaced, I had trouble with "nail pops" causing
leaks. Occasionally, a roofing nail would work its way out and would
eventually cut right through the shingle that used to cover it. It wasn't
the curling of the tab that exposed the head, it was the nail head itself
ripping right through the shingle.

To repair it, I'd lift the tab, remove the loose nail and put roofing tar
under the tab so that it oozed up through the hole that the nail had made,
sealing it. I did this a couple of times a year until I finally decided
it was time for a new roof and gutters, plus soffit vents, a ridge
vent, insulation baffles, etc. It was a big expense, but it was done right
and now my attic is cooler in the summer so I'm not cooking the new roof
from underneath.