Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default roof leak after days of rain

On 10/3/2015 11:41 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
I live in the Northeast and we've just had several days of almost continuous
rain. Unfortunately, when I went into the laundry room of the house today, I
happened to notice some water on top of the paper towel package I keep there.
It wasn't much considering all the rain we've had, probably 1/10 of an ounce if
I were to label it, but I do see the area of the roof that was stained with
water. There is no attic in the laundry room, so I can look right up at the
roofing rafters. The area is quite small and already dry. I quick peak at the
area on the roof itself and I don't see anything suspect, no broken or damaged
shingles that I can see.

This roof is 10 years old and hasn't leaked so far, but I am a bit concerned,
especially since there doesn't appear to be anything obvious. I'd appreciate
any tips as to what I should check and look for. Once the weather clears, I'll
try and post a photo of the area but the weather is still inclement at this time.

In NE, chances are you've a (steeply) peaked roof. Note that the leak will
be somewhere *above* the point where the water "dripped" down. It is
seldom *exactly* at that location. If the drip is on the "left" side
of the roof peak, then your leak will be on the left of the peak -- but
closer to the peak (by some amount).

Do you have a ridge vent? Driving rain can exploit this "hole" (slot) in
your roof.

If you had high winds/driving rain, remember that water can flow
*up*, under the shingles. Most asphalt shingles are designed with
a dab of tar to seal them to the course beneath. Over time, (and
temperature, brittleness, etc.) this "tackiness" isn't always enough.

In any case, you will probably want it resolved before winter and
ice starts lifting shingles and "growing" defects.