Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default roof leak after days of rain

On 10/4/2015 12:12 PM, Sam Seagate wrote:
On 10/04/2015 10:06 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/4/2015 6:21 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:

Do you have a ridge vent? Driving rain can exploit this "hole"
(slot) in
your roof.

Thanks. I read the others posts here along with yours. There is not
a chimney
or commode vent pipe above the area, but a ridge vent was made when
the roof
was reapplied ten years ago. Previous to that, there was no roof vent.
Chances are, it may have come from that. In addition to the rain,
we've also
been having lots of gusty winds so it could be that the wind drove the
rain
in/thru the venting.

Exactly. A neighbor had "evidence" of a leak just inside the *exterior*
wall of his home. Water had, in fact, been driven into the ridge vent
and traveled down the rafters until it got to the outside wall -- where
it could go no further and decided to manifest.

Of course, you may have a leak around a nail hole, etc. But, don't rule
out the vent as a "non leak" source of problem.

I was going to mention that. Somewhat near the area, perhaps a little above, I
did notice an exposed nail. I'm not sure whether or not I should be seeing any
because I thought nails were only underneath of the shingles.

Nails should be covered by the course above. Typically (third cut asphalt
shingles), you drive a *roofing* nail (verify!) in on each end of the shingle
(a couple of inches in from each end and about an inch above the highest
point of the "slot" that separates each of the three tabs). Then, two more
nails, one above each of those slots.

As the lower edge of the course above should come down to the tops of those
slots, these nails will be covered by that course (unless the shingles start
to "curl" with age and "creep up" to expose the nail heads). There's usually
a blob of tar on the shingle to cause the two courses to adhere to each
other to encourage the tabs to stick to the course below.

My experience with water have left me thinking it is *sneaky* and
often does things that *seem* impossible!