Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen faucet chatter

A year or so ago a new water meter was installed and when I turned the
kitchen faucet on it sounded like it was ripping apart. I call it
chattering or chugging. It was a heavy vibrating that seemed to be in the
faucet. I listened under the sink while someone turned the water on and it
didn't seem to be in the pipes below the faucet.

I called the water company that installed the new meter and they thought
is was air in the system and told me to open the faucet and let thr water
run awhile. That didn't help.

This continued for several months then finally stopped.

A couple months ago my water line that runs from outside to the meter in
the cellar busted and I had to have my yard dug up to have it replaced.
Again, when the kitchen faucet is turned on it chatters. I have to turn it
on a little and let in run about 5 seconds, then turn it a bit more, etc.
until it is on fully.

I tried turning it all the way on with one turn and it sounded like it was
going to pop apart.
The contractor who installed the new line suggested air in the line. I
called a plummer and he said it may be the diverter.

I did find if I remove the aerator from the faucet, it doesn't chatter,
but as soon as I put it back on, the noise starts again.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the water
on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JWR308 wrote:
[...]

Is this a faucet with washers on the stems ? If so , try tightening the
screw that holds the rubber washer to the stem .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:58:21 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the
water on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.

Is this a faucet with washers on the stems ? If so , try tightening the
screw that holds the rubber washer to the stem .

Perhaps put a PSI gauge on the outside hose bib nearest the meter. Did
the pressure increase by chance -- does the house have regulator valve
where the water line enters the house, that can be adjusted. Or maybe
turn the sink supply line valve down a 1/8 turn to decrease pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:44:02 +0000, JWR308
wrote:

[...]

What type of faucet?

Does it make a difference whether you're turning on the cold
or the hot?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:44:02 +0000, JWR308
wrote:

I did find if I remove the aerator from the faucet, it doesn't chatter,
but as soon as I put it back on, the noise starts again.

I never did understand the purpose of the aerator. I get all the air I
need by breathing. We didn't have aerators when I was little, and no
one collapsed.

I still don't have them in the bathroom sinks or the garden hose, and I
driink out of all those.

Maybe just leave it off. Or take all the guts out and put just the
outside part back on.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the water
on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did find if I remove the aerator from the faucet, it doesn't chatter,
but as soon as I put it back on, the noise starts again.

I never did understand the purpose of the aerator. I get all the air I
need by breathing. We didn't have aerators when I was little, and no
one collapsed.

I still don't have them in the bathroom sinks or the garden hose, and I
driink out of all those.

Maybe just leave it off. Or take all the guts out and put just the
outside part back on.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the water
on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.

--

The aerator is there to help prevent splashing when the water hits something in the sink. You can demonstrate it by removing the aerator, turning the faucet on to a position where the water splashes out of the sink then reinstall the aerator and turn the faucet on to the same position to observe the behavior of the water stream. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Splash Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 08:07:43 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

The aerator is there to help prevent splashing when the water hits something in the sink. You can demonstrate it by removing the aerator, turning the faucet on to a position where the water splashes out of the sink then reinstall the aerator and turn the faucet on to the same position to observe the behavior of the water stream. ^_^

An aerator does not cause "chatter".

The OP has left the Google building. Never to communicate suggestions
offered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The aerator is there to help prevent splashing when the water hits something in the sink. You can demonstrate it by removing the aerator, turning the faucet on to a position where the water splashes out of the sink then reinstall the aerator and turn the faucet on to the same position to observe the behavior of the water stream. ^_^

An aerator does not cause "chatter".

The OP has left the Google building. Never to communicate suggestions
offered.

The aerator may have a flow restrictor in it and some funky physics may be causing the chatter. I'd have to wonder what type of supply lines he has feeding water to the sink? I have a brain tickler. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chattering Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to croy , JWR308 wrote:
hate wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:44:02 +0000, JWR308
What type of faucet?
Does it make a difference whether you're turning on the cold
or the hot?
--
croy

Does the same with hot or cold. Just a regular faucet with hot knob on the
left, cold on the right, spout in between.. The sprayer hasn't worked in
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll do that, but I know I went without an aerator for years, and my
life was still good. If there was splashing it didn't bother me.

(I had a kitchen faucet to garden hose adapter on it for years. Then
both in Brooklyn and Baltimroe, I had some aquarium tubing going
through the wall and around the baseboard to my plants. At the sink end
of the tubing was a strange brass thing (I've never seen a second one)
that the hose slid into almost 2 inches, which has female garden faucet
thrreads on it, so used it to water my plants.

I only stopped when my plants died But before that I had left the
house for 4 hours with the water on, and flooded the carpet. It was
running slow or it would have been worse.) In Brooklyn because I was
renting I was more careful, and never left the hose running except to
walk from the hose to the sink to turn it off. I also had one of
those chem lap hose claimps to crush the hose until I got to the plants.

[8~{} Uncle Splash Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

hate wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:44:02 +0000, JWR308
What type of faucet?
Does it make a difference whether you're turning on the cold
or the hot?
--
croy

Does the same with hot or cold. Just a regular faucet with hot knob on the
left, cold on the right, spout in between.. The sprayer hasn't worked in
years.

It sounds like the faucet may be fairly old. Have you tried
tightening the the stem-seal nuts? Actually, you might want
to put in new stem seals. Something to check, anyway.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky , lisa wrote:
NONONOmisc07 wrote:

[...]

Was told by a plumber that a bad diverter inside the faucet could cause
noise like hammering, chattering etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JWR308, Ken wrote:
The guy asking about the 135 degree angle, divide 135 by 2 = 67.5 now subtract
that from 90 degrees and your angle cut on the miter is 22 1/2 on each piece.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...tter-5850-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to lisa, an angel wrote:
lisa, I have same problem, new faucet, thought upgrading, plumber a jerk
though given two large bonuses then would not try --but Delta insist metal
debris needs flushing a gushing out if you will even though water is at top of
faucet when apart; needs covered with bucket and surrounded by towels, then
water turned back on; there are directions for taking faucet apart on line. I
just have not had time to do it myself--not sure if very large hex-nut
workable with just my large wrench, or even pipe wrench--oh the joys of
home-ownership by single elderly small-framed woman---but I am always
victorious---you will be too. New diverter for free from your faucet mfg; they
all do it.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...tter-5850-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JWR308, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, you just need to partially close the Shut-off valves under the sink
until the chattering stops, some setups even scream or shriek audibly. This is
very common (though very few know about it, somehow) and just depends on the
plumbing and faucet dynamics. You're not affecting operation or flow at all,
you're just governing the top end. This is what the aerator does, but at the
wrong end in your case.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tter-5850-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, skippy wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? Was that supposed to contribute to this
thread or answer the question? No one cares about your house plants or how you
watered them 4 years ago.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tter-5850-.htm

New kitchen faucet installed; old faucet autopsied Joe Gwinn Metalworking 13 July 21st 17 06:50 PM
Kitchen Faucet Julie Bove Home Repair 60 April 27th 14 12:01 AM
Kitchen Faucet Jeff Thies Home Repair 9 October 16th 10 01:34 PM
What to look for in a kitchen faucet? [email protected] Home Repair 25 June 3rd 06 06:52 AM
3 way kitchen faucet? Toller Home Repair 1 May 5th 06 07:53 PM