Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Faucet

I'm told that there are good faucets of all manufacturers these days.
It's been a while since I bought one, but it's hard to believe that.
I've bought enough crap in the past to be cautious.

I've got a white sink and I'm thinking of getting a white pull down
faucet to go with it, got a mystery chrome one now.

Who makes a decent faucet these days and what should I stay away
from? Delta, Moen?

What about those side handle faucets.

I have been trying to buy Kohler, but I have sticker shock when it
comes to Kitchen Faucets.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 03:34:43 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

I'm told that there are good faucets of all manufacturers these days.
It's been a while since I bought one, but it's hard to believe that.
I've bought enough crap in the past to be cautious.

Personally I'd buy the one that does the stuff you like as long as it
uses the standard holes. Install a shutoff under there & it isn't
much of a chore to switch it out.

I spent several hundred on a Moen that was crap in 6 months. [and they
don't carry parts and discontinued the model so I couldn't get a
replacement that did the things I liked- filter and pull out faucet
with a single lever]

I bought a $100 Price Pfister in Jan 08 & it still looks/works like
new.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 12:34*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I'm told that there are good faucets of all manufacturers these days.
It's been a while since I bought one, but it's hard to believe that.
I've bought enough crap in the past to be cautious.

* *I've got a white sink and I'm thinking of getting a white pull down
faucet to go with it, got a mystery chrome one now.

* *Who makes a decent faucet these days and what should I stay away
from? Delta, Moen?

* *What about those side handle faucets.

* *I have been trying to buy Kohler, but I have sticker shock when it
comes to Kitchen Faucets.

* *Jeff

When Price Pfister started charging shipping for their constantly
problematic
kitchen faucet I had (fairly new, but 2 or 3 defective cartriges and 2
leaky sprayers, total), I decided that if I had one more problem, that
I'd rip the lemon out. My time and inconvenience are worth something.

I now have a Delta. It is a pull down with a magnetic docking. That
part I like. I also like the tall goose neck design.

The part that I don't like as much is the short and awkward lever
control that makes it hard to get precise temperature control. It
looks nice, but that look comes at the price of function. I also
don't like that it has no dead zone at shutoff. If you come .000001
inch short of shutting off the faucet, it doesn't stop the flow. It
does shut off, but that lack of dead zone makes you have to try twice
every so often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm told that there are good faucets of all manufacturers these days.
It's been a while since I bought one, but it's hard to believe that.
I've bought enough crap in the past to be cautious.

I've got a white sink and I'm thinking of getting a white pull down
faucet to go with it, got a mystery chrome one now.

Who makes a decent faucet these days and what should I stay away
from? Delta, Moen?

What about those side handle faucets.

I have been trying to buy Kohler, but I have sticker shock when it
comes to Kitchen Faucets.

Jeff

I picked up a Moen from the sale table (impulse buy) at Home Depot a few
years ago and never got around to putting it in. Plumber was here for
another matter recently and I asked him to put it in while he was here.
Replaced a 30 year old Delta that was cosmetically challenged but still
working fine. He frowned at the Moen and I asked him what brand he liked
these days. There was no hesitation or equivocation about his
preference: Delta.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 15, 2:34*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I'm told that there are good faucets of all manufacturers these days.
It's been a while since I bought one, but it's hard to believe that.
I've bought enough crap in the past to be cautious.

* *I've got a white sink and I'm thinking of getting a white pull down
faucet to go with it, got a mystery chrome one now.

* *Who makes a decent faucet these days and what should I stay away
from? Delta, Moen?

* *What about those side handle faucets.

* *I have been trying to buy Kohler, but I have sticker shock when it
comes to Kitchen Faucets.

* *Jeff

Our village water has a thing for Price-Pfister brass, in my case
about 18 months in the kitchen. I respect their warranty program, but
sturdiness and longevity are the most important features for me. So
far, nearly decade with a low end Kohler. It will likely get replaced
for something more fashionable, probably Kohler.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 12:15*pm, mike wrote:
[...]

every so often.- Hide quoted text -

"If you come .000001 inch short of shutting off the faucet, it
doesn't stop the flow."

It's not just the fancy "goose neck" Delta's that have this issue. My
Mom's low-end Delta does the same thing and has the added feature that
the handle must be just about dead-nuts centered to stop the flow.

You can close it as hard as you want, but if it's .000001 inch to the
left or right, it drips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2010 1:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:15 pm, wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:34 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Damn,

So Moen is out, Delta is out. Price Pfister is out.

Don't tell me Glacier Bay!

I did see a Kohler for about $180 that had the pull out faucet. There
is still IKEA...

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 12:15 pm, *wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:34 am, Jeff *wrote:

[...]

I have a Kohler with the pull out faucet/sprayer. No complaints after
a few years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 12:15 pm, wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:34 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

I can afford this:

http://www.amazon.com/K-15160-0-Cora...pr_product_top

I'm going to run with my no name for a while though, as I have it.

My Dad put in mostly Kohler. 65+ years it all still works and is
beautiful.

Jeff