Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing kitchen faucet

We have an el cheapo kitchen faucet that came with the house (6 years
old). It's a stainless steel one piece with a handle to adjust hot/
cold. It also has a plastic sprayer that's very confused. Never worked
as it was intended for. Anyway, these days if we lift the handle, it's
coming off. Does it mean we have to replace the faucet or can we
replace any part within that will fix it? The faucet still works. We
have to be careful not to pull it too hard.

Since I'm a newbie I want to find out how easy/hard it is to replace a
kitchen faucet. We have replaced cartridges in our bath tubs before.
Is replacing a kitchen faucet considerably more complicated than
replacing a cartridge? Should the old faucet be thrown away in the
trash or will any freecycler have any use for it?

Sorry for naive questions.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Jun, 14:12, wrote:
We have an el cheapo kitchen faucet that came with the house (6 years
old). It's a stainless steel one piece with a handle to adjust hot/
cold. It also has a plastic sprayer that's very confused. Never worked
as it was intended for. Anyway, these days if we lift the handle, it's
coming off. Does it mean we have to replace the faucet or can we
replace any part within that will fix it? The faucet still works. We
have to be careful not to pull it too hard.

Since I'm a newbie I want to find out how easy/hard it is to replace a
kitchen faucet. We have replaced cartridges in our bath tubs before.
Is replacing a kitchen faucet considerably more complicated than
replacing a cartridge? Should the old faucet be thrown away in the
trash or will any freecycler have any use for it?

Sorry for naive questions.

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "lift the handle" but if it's something like
the faucet shown he

http://www.efaucets.com/images/moen/large/7423-lg.jpg

then look for a set screw on the bottom of the handle, like where the
red dot in the picture is. If the set screw is still there, try
tightening it, perhaps with an allen wrench.

If your faucet isn't anything like the one in the picture, find one on
the net, post the link and we'll see what we can do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 2:03 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 27 Jun, 14:12, wrote:

[...]

OP here. Thanks for your reply. Here's a link for the faucet.
http://www.moen.com/buymoen/buyparts...u_refno=308978

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:13:37 -0700, wrote:

OP here. Thanks for your reply. Here's a link for the faucet.
http://www.moen.com/buymoen/buyparts...u_refno=308978

Step 1 on this page has a link for the illustrated parts list.

The top cap will lift off.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 5:17?pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
wrote:
Since I'm a newbie I want to find out how easy/hard it is to replace a
kitchen faucet.

Generally, it's pretty easy. A few things to watch out for:

- If you do not have shutoff valves under the sink for both hot & cold, you'll
need to find the master water shutoff valve for the house. This valve typically
does not get used much and can be fragile.

- Clearance between the sink and the back wall under the countertop can be
tight. This can make getting a wrench up there difficult.

- Some faucets require the use of a sleeve type wrench.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

I just finished relacing my bathroom faucet, the trouble with these
jobs is access, and having to do so much by feel only

mine had a burst bubble in the flexible line and replacing the fixture
was easier than just the lines. The hardware that holds everything in
place was all rusty, its been in 10 years.

I might save the faucet its a delta and never had a problem but today
I didnt want to mess around.........

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:43:48 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:13:37 -0700, wrote:

OP here. Thanks for your reply. Here's a link for the faucet.
http://www.moen.com/buymoen/buyparts...u_refno=308978

Step 1 on this page has a link for the illustrated parts list.

The top cap will lift off.

Going by the exploded view there, it looks like it would be about 1000
times easier to repair the faucet than to replace it.

The screw is probably lying right there under the cap -- put it in if
necessary and tighten it -- and the cap probably comes right off with
a non-serrated steak knife.

Plug the sink drain first.