Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen faucet chatter

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 7:19:15 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:44:02 +0000, JWR308
wrote:

I did find if I remove the aerator from the faucet, it doesn't chatter,
but as soon as I put it back on, the noise starts again.

I never did understand the purpose of the aerator. I get all the air I
need by breathing. We didn't have aerators when I was little, and no
one collapsed.

I still don't have them in the bathroom sinks or the garden hose, and I
driink out of all those.

Maybe just leave it off. Or take all the guts out and put just the
outside part back on.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the water
on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.

--

The aerator is there to help prevent splashing when the water hits something in the sink. You can demonstrate it by removing the aerator, turning the faucet on to a position where the water splashes out of the sink then reinstall the aerator and turn the faucet on to the same position to observe the behavior of the water stream. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Splash Monster