Posted to alt.home.repair
JWR308 JWR308 is offline

Default Kitchen faucet chatter

A year or so ago a new water meter was installed and when I turned the
kitchen faucet on it sounded like it was ripping apart. I call it
chattering or chugging. It was a heavy vibrating that seemed to be in the
faucet. I listened under the sink while someone turned the water on and it
didn't seem to be in the pipes below the faucet.

I called the water company that installed the new meter and they thought
is was air in the system and told me to open the faucet and let thr water
run awhile. That didn't help.

This continued for several months then finally stopped.

A couple months ago my water line that runs from outside to the meter in
the cellar busted and I had to have my yard dug up to have it replaced.
Again, when the kitchen faucet is turned on it chatters. I have to turn it
on a little and let in run about 5 seconds, then turn it a bit more, etc.
until it is on fully.

I tried turning it all the way on with one turn and it sounded like it was
going to pop apart.
The contractor who installed the new line suggested air in the line. I
called a plummer and he said it may be the diverter.

I did find if I remove the aerator from the faucet, it doesn't chatter,
but as soon as I put it back on, the noise starts again.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the water
on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.