Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving a 2-Story House

I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:27:15 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

Count on spending 10, 12, 14 or 25 thousand to move the home. If you
want it mostly in one piece, is could cost more or less.

You need a professional so the price goes up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

Count on spending 10, 12, 14 or 25 thousand to move the home. If you
want it mostly in one piece, is could cost more or less.

You need a professional so the price goes up.

+1 I've seen it done and it is a painstakingly long process therefore $$$$.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

Count on spending 10, 12, 14 or 25 thousand to move the home. If you
want it mostly in one piece, is could cost more or less.

You need a professional so the price goes up.

+1 I've seen it done and it is a painstakingly long process therefore $$$$.

Moving the house DOES not include a new foundation support when the
house is delivered.

The moving price and new foundation price goes up. This is not a job
for illegal Mexicans. It takes a professional company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2015 5:11 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:57:13 -0400, Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Also co-operation from the city/county/utilities etc for appropriate
wire adjustments for any overhead wires that may need to be moved,
dropped and reconnected.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/27/2015 1:27 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will
give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large
urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city
of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had
personal experience pricing this kind of project?

Even having done one (actually it was 2-1/2 story of half-again the
footprint) for the local historical society, what it cost here for that
particular move is totally irrelevant to what it might cost somewhere
else for a different house. It's mostly controlled by just how involved
the particular house and route are; these guys can get in and lift a
small frame house in a morning and be ready to be on the road with it
that evening--the hangups are all the other stuff's they've got to deal
with and that's the time and as another says, therefore, the money.
You'll just have to find somebody local and get a bid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 17:22:54 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

The moving price and new foundation price goes up. This is not a job
for illegal Mexicans. It takes a professional company.

Also co-operation from the city/county/utilities etc for appropriate
wire adjustments for any overhead wires that may need to be moved,
dropped and reconnected.

Were it me. I'd just frame out a single story house on the land. Build
it out to modern rules and regulation. I love historical homes but it
may not be worth the cost of moving or emplacement, so it last for
years ahead with new material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:11:10 -0700, Oren
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:57:13 -0400, Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Hey, seenyor. Mis amigos and I move more casas each anyo than yue have
ever bin in. We do a bery good job. And we have FICA and income tax
withheld from our paycheks too, but can never collect on the FICA
because we're illeagle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

Count on spending 10, 12, 14 or 25 thousand to move the home. If you
want it mostly in one piece, is could cost more or less.

You need a professional so the price goes up.

There was a series on one of the cable channels a while back something
like Big Movers. They showed how this stuff is done. They have
expensive equipment and a crew of 5 to 10 people for the setup. A lot
of bracing has to be done after the lift to make a platform. With the
crew needed, it has to be hundreds of dollars per hour.

I did see a house being moved though. They go rather slow.

I'm thinking, with four pickup truck, four bottle jacks, and a case of
beer we could get it done on a Saturday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/27/2015 01:27 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

The day I got out of the Army there was a fairly large apartment
building up on wheels sitting right in front of my flat. I told they guy
who gave me a ride to just drop me off at the corner. I understand that
it was the largest building ever moved in the city of Milwaukee.

Back then, due to business expansion , a lot of houses were being moved.

In addition to the price of moving is of course, the new foundation, the
hook ups and repairing cracks.

The outfit here in town guaranteed no cracks larger than 1/4".

Even a $1 house can end up being a large expenditure, but still it's
going to be cheaper than an entirely new house.

Anyway, the house-movers generally charge by distance and add fees if
the electric company needs to temporary re-route wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 8:08:57 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

I lived in a home one time that could be moved by simply putting the wheels on, disconnecting the utilities, hitching it to a truck and towing it away. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Trailer Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2015 6:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm thinking, with four pickup truck, four bottle jacks, and a case of
beer we could get it done on a Saturday.

Would any of your crew habla Ingles?

On a more serious note, one time when I was a little
boy, they did move a house near me. I was too young
to make note of it, and remember any of the details.
But, it used to be possible. Now, who can tell?

Agreeing with others, it's a very specific situation.
With legal jurisdictions, road surface, utilities to
be moved, and permits, and gosh knows what.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2015 04:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm thinking, with four pickup truck, four bottle jacks, and a case of
beer we could get it done on a Saturday.

Sounds like moving boats around in Maine. On one trip I was up on the
bridge with a broom easing the wires over the top. The phone and
electrical wires were okay but the cable guys had skimped on the height
requirements. Oh, well, they could come out Monday and replace the ones
I missed.

Boats are more challenging with the keels and all. Houses are a piece of
cake. Thing is, those bottle jacks don't have enough travel so you have
to jack, block, jack, block and so forth, which cuts into the Budweiser
time. The screw type house jacks have the same problem. What you want
are four sturdy farm jacks. Four of those and a fat enough ass and you
can move the world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In rbowman writes:

On 08/28/2015 04:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm thinking, with four pickup truck, four bottle jacks, and a case of
beer we could get it done on a Saturday.

Sounds like moving boats around in Maine. On one trip I was up on the
bridge with a broom easing the wires over the top. The phone and
electrical wires were okay but the cable guys had skimped on the height
requirements. Oh, well, they could come out Monday and replace the ones
I missed.

Boats are more challenging with the keels and all. Houses are a piece of
cake. Thing is, those bottle jacks don't have enough travel so you have
to jack, block, jack, block and so forth, which cuts into the Budweiser
time. The screw type house jacks have the same problem. What you want
are four sturdy farm jacks. Four of those and a fat enough ass and you
can move the world.

Or you can always get Sweetums from the original Muppet Movie..

("Jack not name. Jack job!")

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sweetums

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2015 9:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I lived in a home one time that could be moved by simply putting the wheels on, disconnecting the utilities, hitching it to a truck and towing it away. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Trailer Monster

I do that at present. Cooks in summer, freeze in
winter. Insullation is very poor.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message ...
[...]

MUCH cheaper here in the PRC. The tough part is finding a lot where I won't get sued by neighbors for not "conforming" to the acceptable styles.

It will probably end up being torn down. It's in a crime-fest neighborhood. Probably will be replaced by subsidized housing.

Anyway, the house-movers generally charge by distance and add fees if
the electric company needs to temporary re-route wires.

OT; Moving house The Medway Handyman UK diy 20 August 7th 12 09:43 PM
OT; Moving house John Williamson UK diy 4 August 6th 12 07:53 PM
OT; Moving house Man at B&Q UK diy 0 August 6th 12 12:06 PM
Funny story about house [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 19th 04 11:02 PM
Loft conversion in 3 story house P Lavers UK diy 6 March 24th 04 07:47 AM