Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving a 2-Story House

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 8:08:57 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/27/2015 01:27 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I ran across a 2-story 3000 sf wood frame house that the owner will give away to anyone who will move it off the property. It's a large urban lot and want to build apartments.

Assuming all the details -- structurally sound, approved by the city of the new site, moving permits clear, etc.... Has anyone had personal experience pricing this kind of project?

This is not the house I'm looking at, but similar in shape and height.

http://dehouss.com/two-houses-by-far...graph-gallery/

The day I got out of the Army there was a fairly large apartment
building up on wheels sitting right in front of my flat. I told they guy
who gave me a ride to just drop me off at the corner. I understand that
it was the largest building ever moved in the city of Milwaukee.

Back then, due to business expansion , a lot of houses were being moved.

In addition to the price of moving is of course, the new foundation, the
hook ups and repairing cracks.

The outfit here in town guaranteed no cracks larger than 1/4".

Even a $1 house can end up being a large expenditure, but still it's
going to be cheaper than an entirely new house.

Anyway, the house-movers generally charge by distance and add fees if
the electric company needs to temporary re-route wires.

I lived in a home one time that could be moved by simply putting the wheels on, disconnecting the utilities, hitching it to a truck and towing it away. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Trailer Monster