Posted to alt.home.repair

Default [OT] WTF is it w/ gray text!??

I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the
other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.

So.... WTF! is it with gray text?

I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the
font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these old
geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.

What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by
that bad ol' "black on white" text?

I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white.
Or blue-on-black. Still.....

Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message
I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the
other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.

So.... WTF! is it with gray text?

I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the
font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these
old
geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.

What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by
that bad ol' "black on white" text?

I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white.
Or blue-on-black. Still.....

Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!!

nb

Sounds like they are in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Sue their asses off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Aug 2015 14:34:00 GMT, notbob wrote:

I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the
other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.

So.... WTF! is it with gray text?

I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the
font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these old
geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.

What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by
that bad ol' "black on white" text?

I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white.
Or blue-on-black. Still.....

Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!!

nb

Lousy choice of color by the web designer. Your example of blue on
black is even worse. You might be able to override that in your
browser settings.
I have found that if you mark the text like you were going to copy it
(drag a left click over it) the color will change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe the text is trying to match the color of yer hair, grandpa.
Ever think about that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-09, Edmund J. Burke wrote:
Maybe the text is trying to match the color of yer hair, grandpa.
Ever think about that?

Since I have no hair, no, I haven't considered it.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-09, taxed and spent wrote:

Sounds like they are in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Sue their asses off.

I like it!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2015 9:43 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message
I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the
other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.

So.... WTF! is it with gray text?

I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the
font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these
old
geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.

What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by
that bad ol' "black on white" text?

I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white.
Or blue-on-black. Still.....

Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!!

nb

Sounds like they are in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Sue their asses off.

I guess then they'll have to sit on their knees for the rest of their lives.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 8/9/2015 10:34 AM, notbob wrote:
I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the
other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.

So.... WTF! is it with gray text?

I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the
font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these old
geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.

What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by
that bad ol' "black on white" text?

I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white.
Or blue-on-black. Still.....

Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!!

Hold ctrl + a at the time and highlight the entire page.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| So.... WTF! is it with gray text?
|
| I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt.

Any links? I haven't noticed that problem.

Though I have seen increasing problems
with dysfunctionality and layout. For instance,
if I go to washingtonpost.com it looks fine, but
then when I click on a story I get text so big
that I often copy/paste it into Notepad for
reading.

I also see increasing problems with images and
links. From what I can tell it seems to be a problem
originating with sites trying to accomodate different
screens. For instance, they might have 3 different
sizes of images and try to assign them according
to the device visiting -- phone, tablet, or desktop.
But I end up with either no picture or a wrong
size. Example: http://www.npr.org/sections/news/
loads with small images that are blown up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2015 11:20 AM, Mayayana wrote:

[snip]

I also see increasing problems with images and
links. From what I can tell it seems to be a problem
originating with sites trying to accomodate different
screens. For instance, they might have 3 different
sizes of images and try to assign them according
to the device visiting -- phone, tablet, or desktop.
But I end up with either no picture or a wrong
size. Example: http://www.npr.org/sections/news/
loads with small images that are blown up.

I must have gotten the larger one (on my laptop). Detail is good
(especially the face in the larger picture).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"WARNING: You are about to enter the 'real world'. Climate controls are
non functional and there are no keyboard commands or drop down menus.
There is no 'undo' function."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 11:02:29 -0400, wrote:

You might be able to override that in your
browser settings.

+1 Have the browser set the colors; regardless of what the web page
pushes on you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2015 10:02 AM, wrote:

[snip]

Lousy choice of color by the web designer. Your example of blue on
black is even worse. You might be able to override that in your
browser settings.

This reminds me of the Commodore 64 I got in 1984. The default color was
light blue text on medium blue, with poor contrast.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"WARNING: You are about to enter the 'real world'. Climate controls are
non functional and there are no keyboard commands or drop down menus.
There is no 'undo' function."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 12:10:09 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Lousy choice of color by the web designer. Your example of blue on
black is even worse. You might be able to override that in your
browser settings.

This reminds me of the Commodore 64 I got in 1984. The default color was
light blue text on medium blue, with poor contrast.

[snip]

The old IBM PROFS system (Email before it had a name) defaulted to
blue on black.
I changed it to yellow on light blue so I could actually read it. That
is still my color when I am using real DOS (set up with ANSI.SYS)
I found that for me that was the least visually stressful combo when I
was going to be on the computer all day.
I have adapted to this paper white background but I still think yellow
on light blue is easier on the eyes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 9 Aug 2015 14:34:00 GMT, notbob
wrote:

I know I prolly shouldn't post this subject, here, but with all the
other noise that makes up this group, I doubt anyone will notice.

So.... WTF! is it with gray text?

I go to 4 websites and it's all gray txt. Sometimes, if I enlarge the
font, it will go bold and the txt will turn to black. Otherwise, these old
geezer eyes have a problem viewing this maddening gray text.

What? Trying to save sharp-eyed millennial's orb's from being burned by
that bad ol' "black on white" text?

I guess it could be worse. Could be even stupider gray-on-off-white.
Or blue-on-black. Still.....

Hey! Old ppl use the web, too!!

nb

You don't give any examples but I think I know what you mean. My vision
is fine but I can't read those sites either. Also the ones with yellow
iirc background, One site had dark blue on light blue. They're
idiots, to go to the trouble to make a webpage and then make it almost
illegible.

Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and
it's more readable, but not always.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 18:22:22 -0400, micky
wrote:

Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and
it's more readable, but not always.

http://www.blackviper.com/ would aggravate me - black or white
backgrounds same colors for text. Little contrast for my eyeballs.
The site had a Icon to change it / reverse it on site. I just made my
browser display what I wanted, no need to pick.

OP likely has the option in his browser. But we don't know his model
number

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-09, micky wrote:

Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and
it's more readable, but not always.

Thnx for that tip, mickey.

I did it on Wikipedia and the reverse was wht-on-drkgry. ??

I've never messed with my browser's default display settings cuz it
never bothered me. Guess it's time to get with it, by cracky!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and
it's more readable, but not always.

http://www.blackviper.com/ would aggravate me - black or white

I think they fixed it.

backgrounds same colors for text. Little contrast for my eyeballs.
The site had a Icon to change it / reverse it on site. I just made my
browser display what I wanted, no need to pick.

OP likely has the option in his browser. But we don't know his model
number

What's the option called? I don't remembe seeing it. I have Firefox,
latest version.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 19:57:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

What's the option called? I don't remembe seeing it. I have Firefox,
latest version.

Put this in the address bar, new tab & click. For FF

aboutreferences#content

"Override the colors specified by the page with my selections above"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's the option called? I don't remembe seeing it. I have Firefox,
latest version.

Put this in the address bar, new tab & click. For FF

aboutreferences#content

"Override the colors specified by the page with my selections above"

Thanks. It seems FF has an incredble number of preferences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's the option called? I don't remembe seeing it. I have Firefox,
latest version.

Put this in the address bar, new tab & click. For FF

aboutreferences#content

"Override the colors specified by the page with my selections above"

Thanks. It seems FF has an incredble number of preferences.

True. More than I know. Even IE can allow you default colors for
viewing a web page. Just open the hood and play.

I'm no longer bothered by ugly colors -- set the default you want

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Aug 2015 23:31:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

uess it's time to get with it, by cracky!

"By cracky" is brown.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-09, Edmund J. Burke wrote:
Maybe the text is trying to match the color of yer hair, grandpa.
Ever think about that?

Since I have no hair, no, I haven't considered it.

nb

Get a rug; then you can think about it.
Problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and
it's more readable, but not always.

http://www.blackviper.com/ would aggravate me - black or white
backgrounds same colors for text. Little contrast for my eyeballs.
The site had a Icon to change it / reverse it on site. I just made my
browser display what I wanted, no need to pick.

OP likely has the option in his browser. But we don't know his model
number

Dang! I haven't seen BV's page in years. I used him as a source of of technical info long ago but lost track of his site. Thanks for the link which is going in my bookmarks. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Site Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometimes, if you cntl-A and select the text, it reverses the colors and
it's more readable, but not always.

http://www.blackviper.com/ would aggravate me - black or white
backgrounds same colors for text. Little contrast for my eyeballs.
The site had a Icon to change it / reverse it on site. I just made my
browser display what I wanted, no need to pick.

OP likely has the option in his browser. But we don't know his model
number

Dang! I haven't seen BV's page in years. I used him as a source of of technical info long ago but lost track of his site. Thanks for the link which is going in my bookmarks. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Site Monster

His guides are great for tweaking an OS -- turning off services that
aren't needed and can enhance performance. I'd not been to his site
for a long time. He has some Win10 tips already, too.

Gray water leachfield Steve B[_10_] Home Repair 67 August 11th 11 07:00 PM
What turns a deck gray? dean Home Repair 3 May 9th 07 05:17 PM
wood gray marks elmer Woodworking 2 September 16th 05 06:44 PM
wood gray marks elmer Woodworking 6 September 16th 05 04:22 PM
Reed Gray Paul Rasmussen Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 06:27 AM