elmer

Default wood gray marks

How can I get rid of gray stops on wood? Should I use bleach?

Hedley

I bought a butcher block maple dining table from a high-falootin' place in
Chi-town (by my standards, anyhoo) and after about a year, small greyish
areas (about 1/4" by 1" striations) started to appear below the finish (no
idea what finish, but it appeared to be sealed up pretty good) and not
necessarily following any grain pattern. Since it was indeed below the
finish, they replaced the table (delivery and everything - ain't that nice),
even though we hadn't been very "nice" to the table (when you need a
workbench in a condo, anything will do).

The replacement table had the same thing happen. By that time, the table
had been discontinued, so they gave us a beefier maple table and it's been
fine for the last 6-7 years (although it has been used as a workbench).

Any idea what would cause maple to develop spontaneous blemishes, not
following a grain pattern or any joints?

"elmer" wrote in message
ups.com...
How can I get rid of gray stops on wood? Should I use bleach?

Charles Spitzer

spalting maybe?

"Hedley" wrote in message
[...]

"elmer" wrote in message
ups.com...
How can I get rid of gray stops on wood? Should I use bleach?