Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sun-proof pails?

How can I tell if a pail's plastic material will be safe if the pail is
left in the hot AZ sun? Two so far this year two have fallen apart for this
reason. What ever happened to tin pails?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Aug 2015 17:16:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I tell if a pail's plastic material will be safe if the pail is
left in the hot AZ sun? Two so far this year two have fallen apart for this
reason. What ever happened to tin pails?

TIA

It is simple, they are made of non-UV stabilized PVC. In the case of
things like drywall buckets, that me be on purpose. If they are left
in the environment they will eventually self destruct instead of
lasting 1000 years.;
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Galvanized sheet metal pails. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Plastic Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

What ever happened to tin pails?

Galvanized steel pails are still sold in farm supply stores.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 5 Aug 2015 14:28:04 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 8/5/2015 1:51 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 13:26:51 -0400, wrote:

On 5 Aug 2015 17:16:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I tell if a pail's plastic material will be safe if the pail is
left in the hot AZ sun? Two so far this year two have fallen apart for this
reason. What ever happened to tin pails?

TIA

It is simple, they are made of non-UV stabilized PVC. In the case of
things like drywall buckets, that me be on purpose. If they are left
in the environment they will eventually self destruct instead of
lasting 1000 years.;

I don't worry about the buckets lasting (NV). I go through them
regularly (pool tabs) and some others. I just toss 'em out after
awhile.

There are spray paints for plastic (Krylon Fusion is one). Pool, pool
solar and above ground irrigation PVC pipes are painted with water
based latex -- they last and resist UV.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Keep the buckets in the shade

Most likely non-stabilized polyethylene. I've got several pails left
over from sealing asphalt driveway and there is no problem in the sun.
Black color probably helps.

I would have thought white color woudl be better, because it reflects
all frequencies of visible light, and I would think it likely reflects
adjacent frequencies of IR and UV. Anyone know?

It's certain unlikely it would reflect almost all 700 THz radiation but
absorb most 800, unless something abou the plastic molecule specifically
related to 800T.

There is PE made to rapidly degrade in sunlight and used in things like
6 pack holders. Milk bottles also degrade rapidly as after all they are
only made for short shelf life.

Despite what they say about aluminum cans lasting for 100's (or 1000's?)
of years, I've found them in the woods only 5 or 10 years old with holes
rotted in them. I guarantee that they are not tooth or bullet holes,
and I can't imagine why they would be small animals, that would both
want to and have the ability to gnaw through the thin aluminum, but
couldn't get in through the top. . I think it's some kind of microbe.

Sun is plastics worst enemy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/05/2015 11:16 AM, KenK wrote:
How can I tell if a pail's plastic material will be safe if the pail is
left in the hot AZ sun? Two so far this year two have fallen apart for this
reason. What ever happened to tin pails?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Behrens-1...10GS/100125409

You mean like that? They're lurking around Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, and
other top secret locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 14:28:04 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Sun is plastics worst enemy.

We'll just have to send a nuclear weapon to destroy the sun!

Proof, if proof were needed.... The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 July 4th 08 11:53 PM
kid-proof, dog-proof, dirt-proof paint K UK diy 18 March 7th 08 05:37 PM
Proof George Woodturning 3 June 15th 05 04:47 PM
OT. Uses for cat litter pails? larry in cinci Woodworking 12 March 31st 05 05:47 PM
Cat Pee Proof Karl Townsend Metalworking 47 September 19th 04 07:15 AM