Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_23_] Frank[_23_] is offline

Default Sun-proof pails?

On 8/5/2015 1:51 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 13:26:51 -0400, wrote:

On 5 Aug 2015 17:16:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I tell if a pail's plastic material will be safe if the pail is
left in the hot AZ sun? Two so far this year two have fallen apart for this
reason. What ever happened to tin pails?

TIA

It is simple, they are made of non-UV stabilized PVC. In the case of
things like drywall buckets, that me be on purpose. If they are left
in the environment they will eventually self destruct instead of
lasting 1000 years.;

I don't worry about the buckets lasting (NV). I go through them
regularly (pool tabs) and some others. I just toss 'em out after
awhile.

There are spray paints for plastic (Krylon Fusion is one). Pool, pool
solar and above ground irrigation PVC pipes are painted with water
based latex -- they last and resist UV.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

Keep the buckets in the shade

Most likely non-stabilized polyethylene. I've got several pails left
over from sealing asphalt driveway and there is no problem in the sun.
Black color probably helps.

There is PE made to rapidly degrade in sunlight and used in things like
6 pack holders. Milk bottles also degrade rapidly as after all they are
only made for short shelf life.

Sun is plastics worst enemy.