Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question about 300ft long wiring run

Hi,
I have to install a very long wiring run to a compressor. Here's the criteria:
1. approx 300ft from my main panel to the compressor
2. 220V motor, 1 phase, operating at 11.2amps at 10psi/60Hz.

Questions:
1. is #10 AWG sufficient? If so, how can I be sure (where could I check in the NEC to confirm)?
2. do I need to do a voltage drop calculation?
3. Will my motor burn out because it's so far from the main panel?
4. what size breaker is required?
5. would you recommend anything else? (i.e. maybe lighting protection because it's so far from the main house??)

All technical advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 1:06:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 22:36:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,
I have to install a very long wiring run to a compressor. Here's the criteria:
1. approx 300ft from my main panel to the compressor
2. 220V motor, 1 phase, operating at 11.2amps at 10psi/60Hz.

Questions:
1. is #10 AWG sufficient? If so, how can I be sure (where could I check in the NEC to confirm)?
2. do I need to do a voltage drop calculation?
3. Will my motor burn out because it's so far from the main panel?
4. what size breaker is required?
5. would you recommend anything else? (i.e. maybe lighting protection because it's so far from the main house??)

All technical advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

Disregard my previous reply.
I am sorry I misread your question I thought you were saying 3000
feet.

10ga at 300 feet will drop about 8v. If you start with a true 240v,
you end up with 232 at FLA but the open question is whether you will
have enough to deal with the locked rotor to start it.
I have a 120v 1hp compressor and we couldn't get it to start reliably
at 150' with a 10ga cord.
You may end up with 8ga or larger to make this work.
8ga gets you 5v drop at 11a but we still need to know what LRA is to
decide.

Wouldn't aluminum SEU be cheaper than copper and do the same thing? If he had some poles he could string triplex. I've powered out buildings that way. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wire Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,
I have to install a very long wiring run to a compressor. Here's the criteria:
1. approx 300ft from my main panel to the compressor
2. 220V motor, 1 phase, operating at 11.2amps at 10psi/60Hz.

Questions:
1. is #10 AWG sufficient? If so, how can I be sure (where could I check
in the NEC to confirm)?
2. do I need to do a voltage drop calculation?
3. Will my motor burn out because it's so far from the main panel?
4. what size breaker is required?
5. would you recommend anything else? (i.e. maybe lighting protection
because it's so far from the main house??)

All technical advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

I'm using #10 for 85 feet. That's works ok. Its even 120volt probably more
current. Never measured. I don't know the hp rating of motor. It has a 3 hp
equivalent rating. The compressor may have a breaker specified. That said,
without calculation, your cutting it close.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Plug ur numbers in and click to calculate ... 11.2 amps at 10 psi?
Probably ought to consider what it is at 150 psi.
http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...r_initial.html

Sorry, I should have mentioned: it's a compressor for a pond aerator, so I don't expect very high pressure/load at all. Looks like an 8V drop over 300ft using this calculator. Is that something to be concerned about? I will TRY to find the Locked Rotor Amperes by contacting the manufacturer, but not hopeful. Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 8:13:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Plug ur numbers in and click to calculate ... 11.2 amps at 10 psi?
Probably ought to consider what it is at 150 psi.
http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...r_initial.html

Sorry, I should have mentioned: it's a compressor for a pond aerator, so I don't expect very high pressure/load at all. Looks like an 8V drop over 300ft using this calculator. Is that something to be concerned about? I will TRY to find the Locked Rotor Amperes by contacting the manufacturer, but not hopeful. Any other suggestions?

I actually guessed that was the purpose of your compressor. The 10 psi tipped me off. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Air Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
I have to install a very long wiring run to a compressor. Here's the criteria:
1. approx 300ft from my main panel to the compressor
2. 220V motor, 1 phase, operating at 11.2amps at 10psi/60Hz.

Questions:
1. is #10 AWG sufficient? If so, how can I be sure (where could I check in the NEC to confirm)?
2. do I need to do a voltage drop calculation?
3. Will my motor burn out because it's so far from the main panel?
4. what size breaker is required?
5. would you recommend anything else? (i.e. maybe lighting protection because it's so far from the main house??)

All technical advice appreciated.

#10 would probably suffice for the running load, but the starting load will be much greater. I would go with #8 copper wire. You should contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend for a wire size and a breaker.

Check out article 430

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/21/2015 1:29 PM, dpb wrote:

Given the figures above, the motor-sizing table in my copy of Richter's
Wiring Simplified shows a #6 for 350-400 ft run 240V 2 and 1-1/2 hp,
respectively. That's based on a 1-1/2% drop calculation for motor vis a
vis the nominal 2% considered "standard" for other non-motor loads.

If this really isn't hard-starting, #8 would be marginal at 230-280 ft
max distance for the two motor ratings above.

W/O further details, looks like #6 to me although probably could get by
w/ #8. #10 is definitely too small for that size motor load...

at that distance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Manufacturer FINALLY got back to me this evening!
It's 11.2 amps at 110V, so only 6 amps at 220V.
That said, I used the above website to calculate the voltage drop at 8volts over 300LF. This is 3.5%, which I beleive is quite acceptable.

I think I'm good, yes?

(all technical opinions greatly appreciated, especially dissenting ones)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 10:34:15 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

As a last point (altho OP is likely long gone)...One can never go wrong
going up a size and just a quick survey showed #8-2 UF is 1.80/ft
whereas #10 is 1.60, 0.20/ft difference. That would translate into $60
for the run difference. Difference likely to be less than that in
quantity but if have no use for the extra and don't want to go to the
trouble of reselling the end, might choose to but the length needed...

--

Wait... I'm still here! (the OP)
This photo is the _same_ model that I have:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Gast-1423-103...3/DSC_0031.JPG

It's a 1HP motor, but I can't understand much else from the sticker. Any additional advice or instruction appreciated. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/22/2015 8:33 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 10:34:15 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

As a last point (altho OP is likely long gone)...One can never go wrong
going up a size and just a quick survey showed #8-2 UF is 1.80/ft
whereas #10 is 1.60, 0.20/ft difference. That would translate into $60
for the run difference. Difference likely to be less than that in
quantity but if have no use for the extra and don't want to go to the
trouble of reselling the end, might choose to but the length needed...

--

Wait... I'm still here! (the OP)
This photo is the _same_ model that I have:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Gast-1423-103...3/DSC_0031.JPG

It's a 1HP motor, but I can't understand much else from the sticker.
Any additional advice or instruction appreciated. .

OK, thanks....if it's really 300-ft, I'd definitely run #8. Doesn't
give LRA and I didn't try to find more detail spec's via the part no but
can't go wrong by the larger size as noted above. If nothing else,
it'll run a tad cooler and you won't need to worry about starting effort
shortening life by being marginally under-voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Wait... I'm still here! (the OP)
This photo is the _same_ model that I have:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Gast-1423-103...3/DSC_0031.JPG

It's a 1HP motor, but I can't understand much else from the sticker. Any
additional advice or instruction appreciated. .

The motor is 1 HP. If wired for 115 volts it takes 23 amps and if 230 volts
it takes 6.5 amps.

If ran on 60 hz it runs at 1723 rpm and if 50 hz 1425 rpm.

It has a thermal switch inside so if it gets too hot it will stop and when
it cools down it can be restarted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Plug ur numbers in and click to calculate ... 11.2 amps at 10 psi?
Probably ought to consider what it is at 150 psi.
http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...r_initial.html

Sorry, I should have mentioned: it's a compressor for a pond aerator, so I don't expect very high pressure/load at all. Looks like an 8V drop over 300ft using this calculator. Is that something to be concerned about? I will TRY to find the Locked Rotor Amperes by contacting the manufacturer, but not hopeful. Any other suggestions?

I may be way off base here, but have you looked into keeping the
compressor close to the power source and running 300 feet of air line to
the aerator?

This company says their aerators can be operated with 1,000 ft of air
tubing.

http://tinyurl.com/pdc4wet

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not practical in my case... i'm feeding 4 aerator heads from this one compressor. That would be a lot of hose spidering off in many directions.

Besides, my calcs show the voltage drop to be very small; the running current is 6amps meaning startup current is maybe 18amps (well within a 10awg breaker's capacity), and (unless I'm missing something) no respondant has raised a serious technical concern.

-Theodore.

NEC question: low-voltage wiring crossing 120v wiring. Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 31 October 3rd 11 12:42 PM
long life bulb, lasted 3 weeks, anything wrong my wiring? misterroy UK diy 4 March 13th 06 04:01 AM
Wiring Question jeff35080 Metalworking 0 June 3rd 05 07:05 PM
Outside wiring: a long distance from house scouser UK diy 7 August 27th 03 09:14 PM
wiring question Mike Home Repair 6 July 6th 03 03:18 PM