Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default question about 300ft long wiring run

On 07/22/2015 8:12 AM, dpb wrote:
On 07/21/2015 9:02 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:07:01 -0500, wrote:

The table again shows you can go 340-ft 240V for 1/2 hp w/ #10 but only
220-ft w/ #12 (which, w/o looking is what I'd guess the above voltage
drop would be for).

I'm saying you need #10.

This sounds like a 1HP motor so I would go after that in your table.,

Realistically, it's likely 3/4 hp; the table for it would be 240-ft for
#10 so would also need #8 for 300 to be within the 1-1/2% drop range it
uses.

Seeing the nameplate for OP's actual motor would certainly reduce the
guesswork...

As a last point (altho OP is likely long gone)...One can never go wrong
going up a size and just a quick survey showed #8-2 UF is 1.80/ft
whereas #10 is 1.60, 0.20/ft difference. That would translate into $60
for the run difference. Difference likely to be less than that in
quantity but if have no use for the extra and don't want to go to the
trouble of reselling the end, might choose to but the length needed...