Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default question about 300ft long wiring run

On 07/21/2015 9:02 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:07:01 -0500, wrote:

On 07/21/2015 7:29 PM,
wrote:
Manufacturer FINALLY got back to me this evening!
It's 11.2 amps at 110V, so only 6 amps at 220V.

That makes a lot more sense on the motor size. Now the question is, is
it a dual-voltage motor?

That said, I used the above website to calculate the voltage drop at 8volts over 300LF. This is 3.5%, which I beleive is quite acceptable.

I think I'm good, yes?

That's too much for a motor circuit if that's what you computed for the
running voltage; you'll be way under that during starting.

(all technical opinions greatly appreciated, especially dissenting ones)

The table again shows you can go 340-ft 240V for 1/2 hp w/ #10 but only
220-ft w/ #12 (which, w/o looking is what I'd guess the above voltage
drop would be for).

I'm saying you need #10.

This sounds like a 1HP motor so I would go after that in your table.,

Realistically, it's likely 3/4 hp; the table for it would be 240-ft for
#10 so would also need #8 for 300 to be within the 1-1/2% drop range it
uses.

Seeing the nameplate for OP's actual motor would certainly reduce the
guesswork...