Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screw it, did it myself.

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 2:37:16 PM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 12:35:42 PM UTC-7, Harry K wrote:
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 4:19:59 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 7/17/2015 2:48 PM, philo wrote:

On Halloween with granddaughter wife noticed 81 year old neighbor was
missing a tooth. When asked, he said he fell off the roof.

Another neighbor, 75, was killed by partially fallen tree he was
chainsawing.

These are fun activities that I've given up.

I'm 80 Been heating with wood since 1976. Still out there cutting but my "work" day is down to 3 or 4 hours. Ladders? I swore off of them a few years ago but got my hat knocked off under a black walnut last week, out with ladder and up it with my top handle chainsaw. Cut branch leaving a stub, cut stum and it nailed my nose and chin as it fell.

Knees? Nope but I did have both hips replaced about 15 years ago. Didn't slow me down except for the recovery period. From the stories I heard, I do NOT

(added, hit send too soon) I do NOT want anything to do with knee replacements

Harry K

HK, I hope I can get around as well as you do when I'm 80. Being unable to jump up and go is very frustrating for me because I've lost my independence.. You seem to be getting along pretty well there fella. I admire you and hope you can keep active for many years to come. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Young Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 1:52:17 PM UTC-7, philo wrote:
On 07/17/2015 06:11 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 7/17/15 2:48 PM, philo wrote:

I made sure the ladder was firmly anchored so it would not slip...Friend
came out to take a break and saw me up on the ladder.
I told him not to tell my wife I was up there as she would not like it

Later when the three of us were in the kitchen having coffee...he asks
me ...with wife listening of course...
So, when can I tell her...in 20 years?

66 years old, both knees replaced 3 yrs ago

At one time, I loved going aloft on a swaying ship. I would have jumped
at the chance to go aloft in a storm. In my late 30s, I suddenly became
uneasy on roofs. My balance seemed fine on the ground, but I didn't
trust it on a roof.

Some sailor I'd be/// got seasick crossing the English Channel

I was a Russian interpreter back in early 70s. Was sent TDY to a missile monitoring ship for a cruies off Kamchatka to monitor Soviet ICBM tests. We boared in Hawaii, one of my crew members got seasick walking up the gangplank! Stayed in his bunk all the way to Alaska and down the island chain. Finally had to send him off in a helicopter.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 2:44:15 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/18/2015 4:56 PM, philo wrote:
When I was in the Army I took leave with a friend of mine to visit his
grandfather in rural England.

He was about 80 and heated his house only with wood he cut himself.

Me and my buddy decided to help him and went at it with a 2 man saw.

He came over laughing and said we'd never get it cut that way and just
did it himself.

Grandfather Eddie heated with wood. Ran out,
one year. Sawed up and burned a player piano
in the cellar.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I bought a old ramshackle ?house? that had an "antique" bedset, bed and dresser, wife was enamored with it. It was in really horrible condition and was obviously not "antique" at all, 40s or 50s vintage. When she became disabled and in the nursing home, it disappeared in my stove.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/15 2:48 PM, philo wrote:

I made sure the ladder was firmly anchored so it would not slip...Friend
came out to take a break and saw me up on the ladder.
I told him not to tell my wife I was up there as she would not like it

Later when the three of us were in the kitchen having coffee...he asks
me ...with wife listening of course...
So, when can I tell her...in 20 years?

66 years old, both knees replaced 3 yrs ago

At one time, I loved going aloft on a swaying ship. I would have jumped
at the chance to go aloft in a storm. In my late 30s, I suddenly became
uneasy on roofs. My balance seemed fine on the ground, but I didn't
trust it on a roof.

Some sailor I'd be/// got seasick crossing the English Channel

Seasickness seems to come from conflicting balance signals. When your
brain says, "To hell with it!" you've got sea legs. Ignorance is bliss.

My boat was built on the Great Lakes to maintain buoys and break ice,
but admirals have a strange sense of humor. They'd kept her on the
North Atlantic since 1943. In fair weather, we'd roll 30 degrees, like a
7-in-12 roof. For days on end, we'd roll 45 degrees. We wouldn't get any
sleep. You might find a way to strap yourself into your bunk, but as
soon as you drifted off, your head would start flopping.

Trying to balance was a waste of effort. Passageways had to be at least
4 feet wide. If they'd been narrower, we would have dragged along the
sides when we tried to walk. They were wide enough to give us a good
bounce when our shoulders hit the bulkheads. We'd carom down the hall
not caring which way was up.

Before hitting port, we usually had a couple of days of placid water
where the ship stayed pretty much upright so we could, like babies,
learn to walk before going ashore. Once at St. Johns, the sea was fairly
rough right up to the harbor entrance. I went to Woolworths. Out of the
corner of my eye, I kept seeing merchandise falling and turning just in
time to grab it. I felt like a bull in a china shop. Popeye didn't have
his land legs yet.

When they wrote the song, "What Shall we do with the Drunken Sailor,"
maybe that sailor hadn't had a drink in weeks.