Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How well do cell phones really work?

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

I was wondering how cell phones would work underground then I remembered
the passive radiator antennas used in mines and underground construction
for two way radio. Of course there are the small cell signal repeaters but
I must profess my ignorance of the operation of cell phones in the subway
because there aren't any of them here in Alabamastan but there are mines.
I do recall some phones using WiFi to connect and it would be easy to put
WiFi in a subway system. Oh well, I'm off to do some research. 8-)

The cell service I have works off WiFi first and if it is not in range the
phone switches to a cell tower. Also for the $ 10 plan I use I get wifi
internet service. For about $ 20 I could get cell internet, but it is not
worth it to me no more than I use it.
Republic is the name of the service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 5:43:00 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

I was wondering how cell phones would work underground then I remembered
the passive radiator antennas used in mines and underground construction
for two way radio. Of course there are the small cell signal repeaters but
I must profess my ignorance of the operation of cell phones in the subway
because there aren't any of them here in Alabamastan but there are mines.
I do recall some phones using WiFi to connect and it would be easy to put
WiFi in a subway system. Oh well, I'm off to do some research. 8-)

The cell service I have works off WiFi first and if it is not in range the
phone switches to a cell tower. Also for the $ 10 plan I use I get wifi
internet service. For about $ 20 I could get cell internet, but it is not
worth it to me no more than I use it.
Republic is the name of the service.

I have friends who live in rural Alabamastan where it's hard to get a cell phone signal at times. I gave them information on getting active signal boosters which are also available from their service provider which can cost quite a lot of money. There are passive repeater antennas which are very inexpensive. Years ago, I found a passive antenna systems for an engineer friend who was working for a construction company that was digging tunnels and needed a way to reach the two way radios underground. The setup consisted of an antenna outside the tunnel connected to what amounted to a leaky coax cable that was run along the ceiling or wall of the tunnel and it was simple and effective. 8-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pezp3av

http://www.amazon.com/Cell-Phone-Ant.../dp/B0053WE8VM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_feeder

[8~{} Uncle Radio Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 17:12:40 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:
needed a way to reach the two way radios
underground. The setup consisted of an antenna
outside the tunnel connected to what amounted to a
leaky coax cable that was run along the ceiling or
wall of the tunnel and it was simple and effective. 8-)

See you sure you aren't a real life MacGyver?

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
needed a way to reach the two way radios
underground. The setup consisted of an antenna
outside the tunnel connected to what amounted to a
leaky coax cable that was run along the ceiling or
wall of the tunnel and it was simple and effective. 8-)

See you sure you aren't a real life MacGyver?

--
rebel

Hell no! I just know how to read and retain information. When we were small, me and my brother had a hard time learning to read but after we did, we had our noses in a book all the time. Me and my siblings grew up with books and magazines in the house. My parents were members of The National Geographic Society so we had that wonderful magazine for me and my siblings to bury our faces in to learn about the world. Yea, the mag was full of naked Afican boobies but that only helped with anatomy studies. Life Magazine, Time Magazine, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Progressive Farmer and a slew of others were all over the house. Reading was something I really enjoyed as a kid. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Boobie Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I wonder if that's how MacGyver got his skills, too.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

MacGyver was a trained secret agent. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Secret Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

hmmmm Hey, are you one of those, too? I know. If you told me you'd
have to keel me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZ6-6RbSEg

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 10:13 PM, rebel wrote:
I've never been to AZ, but I went to the desert in California and the
quiet at night was deafening. It was dry and looked like nothing could
live there until you'd look down and see a clump of desert flowers
blooming in the middle of a sand dune.

There's plenty of life in the Sonoran desert. Back in the '80s I went to
a semiconductor show in the bay area. After putting in an appearance to
justify writing off the trip as a business expense, I took a drive
around CA. I'd never been there before except for an interview in San
Diego. I wound up out at the Joshua Tree NM and was so impressed with
the desert and the ecology that was so far from what I was used to, I
decided I wanted to see more of it. In '88 I took a couple of years off
to snoop around the west and set up my winter camp in southern AZ just
north of the Organ Pipe NM. I'm only able to get down there for a few
weeks a year right now but it is still fascinating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How well do battery lights really work?

On 06/06/2015 07:40 AM, rebel wrote:
I like to pick up various project items at Harbor Freight. That's where
I bought some rope LED solar lights.

Those damn things. Years ago on moonless nights it was nice an dark in
the desert. Then the snowbirds discovered cheap solar yard lights. Now
it looks like Christmas.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

W2 Wage Slave wrote:
On 06/04/2015 08:03 AM, micky wrote:
OT for AHR, not for other ng.

How well do cell phones really work?

Just well enough so you'll pay your monthly bill.

Remember, it's not about you the customer, it's about the stockholder.
Shut up and pay your damn bill. ;-)

Just one of many communication problems happening every day all
over the world. Some times people even die because of this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 11:03 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Al Gore is still making money off Global Cooling, err, Global Warming, err, Climate Change or is it cow farts? That's it, he's started a campaign to attach catalytic converters to cow butts. ^_^

If there's something Al Gore knows about, it's bull****.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

On 06/06/2015 05:05 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
There's one nearby farmer who still uses a Minnie tractor. A few
of the irrigation
wells are still powered by Minnie power units. Those things must be
close to fifty
years old.

Must be. White bought them in the '60s and dropped the brand name in the
early '70s. M-M had the first enclosed cab in the business on the DeLuxe
model, but the one I spent time on wasn't deluxe in any way, shape, or
form.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 10:05 PM, rebel wrote:
Makes a person wonder how much new discoveries should be attributed just
luck vs. genius.

Edison stumbled on thermionic emission (Edison Effect) while playing
with light bulbs. He said 'Very interesting!', filed a patent, and moved
on. Ultimately the effect was the basis of vacuum tubes.

https://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/pic/2004/july.asp

For a touch of the bizarre...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That's Achmed, my favorite terrorist. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Terrorist Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 22:11:27 -0500, rbowman wrote:

[...]

The best scenery in the U.S. is in the Southwest. Looking out from
one of
the plateaus is cool, and humbling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:11:27 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
decided I wanted to see more of it. In '88 I took a
couple of years off to snoop around the west and set
up my winter camp in southern AZ just north of the
Organ Pipe NM. I'm only able to get down there for a
few weeks a year right now but it is still fascinating.

Sounds like a little slice of heaven.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:13:54 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
I bought some rope LED solar lights.

Those damn things. Years ago on moonless nights it
was nice an dark in the desert. Then the snowbirds
discovered cheap solar yard lights. Now it looks like
Christmas.

I love the night lights like that. Anything that twinkles.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:33:33 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
Makes a person wonder how much new
discoveries should be attributed just luck vs.
genius.

Edison stumbled on thermionic emission (Edison
Effect) while playing with light bulbs. He said 'Very
interesting!', filed a patent, and moved on. Ultimately
the effect was the basis of vacuum tubes.
https://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/pic/2004/july.asp
For a touch of the bizarre...

Strange. Thanks for the link.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/07/2015 06:33 PM, rebel wrote:
I love the night lights like that. Anything that twinkles.

I like things that twinkle -- stars. There's a reason Kitt Peak is down
in the neighborhood; astronomers aren't big on light pollution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2015 10:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/07/2015 06:33 PM, rebel wrote:
I love the night lights like that. Anything that twinkles.

I like things that twinkle -- stars. There's a reason Kitt Peak is down
in the neighborhood; astronomers aren't big on light pollution.

I can't see too many stars from the city.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 09:11:47 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I think that people living on their phones is mainly
| an urban phenomenon.
|

| You might be surprised. Farmers use theirs quite a bit.
| They can order supplies, check the weather and markets etc.

IF they can get a signal. As I pointed out,
many can't get a signal at their home.

Actually, though, you raise an interesting
point. I've noticed that cellphone addicts
often don't really seem to notice how bad
the service is. It's often difficult to understand
what they're saying due to gaps or static.
One would think that at home they'd use
the superior technology of a landline phone,
rather than subject friends and family to
1950s-quality phone communication.
But they seem to just be out of the habit
of using regular phones.

Lase week I was on the Boston subway when
a young man approached and asked to borrow
my cellphone. He was very anxious. His iPhone
battery had died and he needed to call his father
to get picked up at the station. I told him sorry,
but I don't use a cellphone. He repeated his
story and then slowly wandered away. He seemed
to think I was suspicious of him, never considering
that maybe I meant exactly what I said -- that
I didn't have a cellphone.

I thought of offering the young man that I
could call his father as soon as I walked home
from the station, but I decided that by that
point he probably thought I was unfriendly
at best and an anti-social weirdo without a
cellphone at worst, so maybe it was best to
leave him to his own devices.... or lack thereof.

I just called his father. He's home already and that's exactly what he
thought of you. He said he saw you looking at him atterwards and he
reached for the knife in his pocket, to have it in his hand, in his
pocket, just in case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/07/2015 09:29 PM, rebel wrote:
I can't see too many stars from the city.

Unfortunately from the desert near Why, AZ if you look to the north east
at night you can see a glow in the sky that is Phoenix, about 80 miles
away as the vulture flies. The stars are still visible though.

In most cities you're damn lucky if you can see the star referred to as
the Sun.