Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How well do cell phones really work?

On 6/5/2015 6:00 PM, rebel wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:20:08 -0400, FecesBook wrote:
I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar,
wind, and geothermal power and heat and sell the
extra back to the power grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a
grid. How would you sell your extra power to the grid
if not connected to it?

I'm not exactly sure how it's all connected, but I believe the house and
other buildings would be connected to the off grid power sources via
storage batteries. I think excess power can be stored in batteries not
connected to the buildings. The buildings would be off the grid, but
extra power could be sold to the power company.

If there is an idea then the only thing left is to put intelligent minds
to work who can make it happen.

You really do not have a clue, do you.

--
Froz...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

On 06/05/2015 01:18 PM, rebel wrote:

I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and
geothermal power and heat and sell the extra back to the power
grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid. How
would you sell your extra power to the grid if not connected to it?

alt.home.repair is not noted for entertaining the sharpest adzes in
the tool box.

nb

Fortunately, many people think outside the proverbial box as to
possibilities vs. getting bogged down into muddy waters where new ideas
can't see the light of day.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

On 06/05/2015 01:18 PM, rebel wrote:

I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and
geothermal power and heat and sell the extra back to the power
grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid. How
would you sell your extra power to the grid if not connected to it?

alt.home.repair is not noted for entertaining the sharpest adzes in
the tool box.

nb

Fortunately, many people think outside the proverbial box as to
possibilities vs. getting bogged down into muddy waters where new ideas
can't see the light of day.

Hell, yeah, you can put the extra power you produce in a box and mail it
back to the electric company, maybe they have a pick up and delivery
service for when you do not produce enough. *groan*

--
Froz...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 23:28:43 -0500, micky wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 21:20:19 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Mayayana wrote:

I think that people living on their phones is mainly
an urban phenomenon.

You might be surprised. Farmers use theirs quite a bit.
They can order supplies, check the weather and markets etc.

But walking into light poles is an urban phenomenon. Farmers walk into
trees.

Not likely in my part of the U.S. They might drive their tractors
into something
if they're busy yapping or playing games on the cellular device if the
auto steering fails
or they fall asleep. The GPS on row crop tractors is accurate to within
one inch. A bit here
from John Deere.
http://tinyurl.com/pxp6bo3
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

On 06/05/2015 01:18 PM, rebel wrote:

I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and
geothermal power and heat and sell the extra back to the power
grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid. How
would you sell your extra power to the grid if not connected to it?

alt.home.repair is not noted for entertaining the sharpest adzes in
the tool box.

nb

Fortunately, many people think outside the proverbial box as to
possibilities vs. getting bogged down into muddy waters where new ideas
can't see the light of day.

Hell, yeah, you can put the extra power you produce in a box and mail it
back to the electric company, maybe they have a pick up and delivery
service for when you do not produce enough. *groan*

The other issue is that the power companies that do pay for excess power
pay only the wholesale rate which is 3-4¢ per KWH. Yet, in my area, they
sell you electricity for 17-33¢/KWH. Presently, at least PG&E lets you
bank power you produce for later usage but they are just keeping track
of how much power you produce, how much you use, and when. In one sense
they like a limited number of solar producers because the most solar
power is being produced at the highest demand times. But their grid is
not designed for two way power so they aren't big fans of solar for that
reason and because they are losing a tremendous amount of revenue since
they are marking up the electricity they deliver from 500-1000%. Solar
makes sense, for some people, because of the extremely high mark-ups of
some utilities (and because of the tax credit).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

[...]

We use solar for all our outdoor lighting.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

On 06/05/2015 01:18 PM, rebel wrote:

I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and
geothermal power and heat and sell the extra back to the power
grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid. How
would you sell your extra power to the grid if not connected to it?

alt.home.repair is not noted for entertaining the sharpest adzes in
the tool box.

nb

Fortunately, many people think outside the proverbial box as to
possibilities vs. getting bogged down into muddy waters where new ideas
can't see the light of day.

Face it, selling back without a grid, isn't going to happen.

Wave your hands all you want, it won't connect you through a space warp.

I wonder why you have these anti-social desires, like being detached
from the grid. I don't mind paying my bills, it all seems fair enough.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

On 06/05/2015 01:18 PM, rebel wrote:

I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and
geothermal power and heat and sell the extra back to the power
grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid. How
would you sell your extra power to the grid if not connected to it?

alt.home.repair is not noted for entertaining the sharpest adzes in
the tool box.

nb

Fortunately, many people think outside the proverbial box as to
possibilities vs. getting bogged down into muddy waters where new ideas
can't see the light of day.

Hell, yeah, you can put the extra power you produce in a box and mail it
back to the electric company, maybe they have a pick up and delivery
service for when you do not produce enough. *groan*

just build a reverse wind turbine - put all the extra energy into the
big fan and focus it on the nearest grid connected wind turbine
Now THAT is thinking outside the box!!!!

The fact that it wouldn't work is beside the point - this is AHR afte
all
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

[...]

Not up here in Ontary-airy airy-oh. Nope, up here they pay you $0.82
per KW hour for solar electricity and sell it back to ontario hydro
customers for $0.14 to $0.16 per KW hour. Guess they figure they'll
make up for their losses by volume. The faulty rationalle was they
could save building extra generating capacity that way, so end up
saving money.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 18:26:25 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 6/5/2015 6:00 PM, rebel wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:20:08 -0400, FecesBook wrote:
I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar,
wind, and geothermal power and heat and sell the
extra back to the power grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a
grid. How would you sell your extra power to the grid
if not connected to it?

I'm not exactly sure how it's all connected, but I believe the house and
other buildings would be connected to the off grid power sources via
storage batteries. I think excess power can be stored in batteries not
connected to the buildings. The buildings would be off the grid, but
extra power could be sold to the power company.

If there is an idea then the only thing left is to put intelligent minds
to work who can make it happen.

You really do not have a clue, do you.

OPG should hire him as manager - he makes about as much sense as some
of the other crap that's come out over the last 15 or so years (OPG -
Ontario Power Generation - the generating arm of the former Ontario
Hydro)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2015 10:51 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

You'd be surprized how many cell phones you see in the bush in Africa
- where you could never get a land line.

in low density areas, cellular is the cheaper infrastructure alternative.

In the US, the phone system was built bit by bit over decades. China
gave phone service to millions in a couple of years with cell towers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-05, FecesBook wrote:

On 06/05/2015 01:18 PM, rebel wrote:

I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and
geothermal power and heat and sell the extra back to the power
grid.

The term off-grid refers to not being connected to a grid. How
would you sell your extra power to the grid if not connected to it?

alt.home.repair is not noted for entertaining the sharpest adzes in
the tool box.

nb

Fortunately, many people think outside the proverbial box as to
possibilities vs. getting bogged down into muddy waters where new ideas
can't see the light of day.

Face it, selling back without a grid, isn't going to happen.

Why not? A hundred years ago many things we know today as common and
normal tech was thought of as impossible. The future will be even more
of such things.

Wave your hands all you want, it won't connect you through a space warp.

How do you know it's not possible? We have cell phones now that connect
through invisible connections. Once upon a time radio waves were even
known. What is it that we still don't know that can make such things
possible in the future? Just because something isn't possible right now,
it doesn't mean it isn't possible tomorrow.

I wonder why you have these anti-social desires, like being detached
from the grid.

It's called independence. Who really wants to be totally dependent upon
a system that can cut you off if you can't pay your monthly bill?

I don't mind paying my bills, it all seems fair enough.

What if you didn't have to pay bills?

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/5/2015 6:00 PM, rebel wrote:
[...]

I saw this summary on a quick search about Thomas Edison...
"Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He
was fired from his first two jobs for being "non-productive." As an
inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light
bulb."

Just because something doesn't work the first 1,000 tries, it doesn't
mean it won't work on the the 1,001st try. Someone just a little more
brilliant might just come along and find a way to make it work.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
I saw this summary on a quick search about Thomas Edison...
"Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He
was fired from his first two jobs for being "non-productive." As an
inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light
bulb."

Just because something doesn't work the first 1,000 tries, it doesn't
mean it won't work on the the 1,001st try. Someone just a little more
brilliant might just come along and find a way to make it work.

Sounds like he just stumbled into something that would work. Too bad he
wanted to use direct current in the electrical system instead of Telsa's AC.

Many great inventions were just stumbled in to by some accident. Someone
just had to be observent enough to catch them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 11:18 AM, rebel wrote:
Not sure about how to do phone service off the grid, though.

Wireless. I've got a little trailer down in southern AZ where I spend
some time. I don't give a damn about the phone, but I can sit out in the
desert a ways from the grid and get Verizon 3G, sometimes 4G. This is
near a town with about 57 permanent residents. However there is a big
Migra station which is probably why it has good wireless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 05:20 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
Hell, yeah, you can put the extra power you produce in a box and mail it
back to the electric company, maybe they have a pick up and delivery
service for when you do not produce enough. *groan*

Golf cart batteries, lot of golf cart batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 06:11 PM, sms wrote:
Solar makes sense, for some people, because of the extremely high
mark-ups of some utilities (and because of the tax credit).

Solar makes sense if you don't have a long enough extension cord. PV
panels are getting better and they have a very long service life but the
batteries are expensive and need replacing on a regular basis.

That's where an equitable arrangement with the power company would be
good. This time of year most standalone solar systems are dumping
energy. Come the winter solstice you really wish you could have
squirrelled away all that surplus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 07:56 PM, rebel wrote:
We use solar for all our outdoor lighting.

So do I. When the light goes out I go inside or start looking for my
headlamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 23:41:46 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
I saw this summary on a quick search about
Thomas Edison... "Thomas Edison's teachers said
he was "too stupid to learn anything." He

Sounds like he just stumbled into something that
would work.

If he never tried he'd have never stumbled into the solution.

Too bad he wanted to use direct current in the
electrical system instead of Telsa's AC.
Many great inventions were just stumbled in to by
some accident. Someone just had to be observent
enough to catch them.

Makes a person wonder how much new discoveries should be attributed
just luck vs. genius.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 01:33 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Well, if you think about it, there was The TVA established to electrify rural America and the same poles were used to run telephone lines. It was an example of government doing something that actually worked.8-)

Yeah, the Gore family knows how to run a good boondoggle. Wonder what Al
is up to? i haven't heard anything about him in a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

On 06/05/2015 06:08 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Not likely in my part of the U.S. They might drive their tractors
into something
if they're busy yapping or playing games on the cellular device if the
auto steering fails
or they fall asleep. The GPS on row crop tractors is accurate to
within one inch. A bit here
from John Deere.

Why do the tractors need a driver? One of the more boring things I've
ever done was drive a tractor. Of course it was an elderly Minneapolis
Moline without air conditioning and the entertainment center the new
ones have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 09:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In the US, the phone system was built bit by bit over decades. China
gave phone service to millions in a couple of years with cell towers.

I remember a photo from years ago, maybe in Wired magazine. It was
laying fiber optic in China. There was a line of workers as far as you
could see with the fiber optic cable on their shoulders. None of those
fancy spool trucks and power ditchers for those guys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 21:48:40 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
Not sure about how to do phone service off the
grid, though.

Wireless. I've got a little trailer down in southern AZ
where I spend some time. I don't give a damn about
the phone, but I can sit out in the desert a ways from
the grid and get Verizon 3G, sometimes 4G. This is
near a town with about 57 permanent residents.
However there is a big Migra station which is
probably why it has good wireless.

I've never been to AZ, but I went to the desert in California and the
quiet at night was deafening. It was dry and looked like nothing
could live there until you'd look down and see a clump of desert
flowers blooming in the middle of a sand dune.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:01:00 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
We use solar for all our outdoor lighting.

So do I. When the light goes out I go inside or start
looking for my headlamp.

I've got some solar lights I can use indoors when the power goes out.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 11:05:24 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 06/05/2015 01:33 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Well, if you think about it, there was The TVA established to electrify rural America and the same poles were used to run telephone lines. It was an example of government doing something that actually worked.8-)

Yeah, the Gore family knows how to run a good boondoggle. Wonder what Al
is up to? i haven't heard anything about him in a long time.

Al Gore is still making money off Global Cooling, err, Global Warming, err, Climate Change or is it cow farts? That's it, he's started a campaign to attach catalytic converters to cow butts. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fart Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 23:08:15 -0500, rbowman wrote:

On 06/05/2015 06:08 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Not likely in my part of the U.S. They might drive their tractors
into something
if they're busy yapping or playing games on the cellular device if the
auto steering fails
or they fall asleep. The GPS on row crop tractors is accurate to
within one inch. A bit here
from John Deere.

Why do the tractors need a driver? One of the more boring things I've
ever done was drive a tractor. Of course it was an elderly Minneapolis
Moline without air conditioning and the entertainment center the new
ones have.

Farmers say the GPS sometimes fails when they get over a certain hill
or to
a certain spot in their fields. They have to turn the tractors around at
the ends
of the fields and operate the equipment when they do. Someone has to keep
an eye on the planter or fertilizer monitors also. Then there's refilling
the
sprayer tanks, the planters with seed etc. at planting time.
I've meant to ask someone if the tractors have dead man's switches but
haven't thought about it at the right time.
It's been maybe a dozen years or so since I've even climbed into a
tractor.
The familiar levers for the hydraulics had been replaced by rocker
switches even then.
There's one nearby farmer who still uses a Minnie tractor. A few of
the irrigation
wells are still powered by Minnie power units. Those things must be close
to fifty
years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 8:11:26 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:

The other issue is that the power companies that do pay for excess power
pay only the wholesale rate which is 3-4¢ per KWH. Yet, in my area, they
sell you electricity for 17-33¢/KWH. Presently, at least PG&E lets you
bank power you produce for later usage but they are just keeping track
of how much power you produce, how much you use, and when. In one sense
they like a limited number of solar producers because the most solar
power is being produced at the highest demand times. But their grid is
not designed for two way power so they aren't big fans of solar for that
reason and because they are losing a tremendous amount of revenue since
they are marking up the electricity they deliver from 500-1000%. Solar
makes sense, for some people, because of the extremely high mark-ups of
some utilities (and because of the tax credit).

What exactly do you expect? Someone has to pay for the whole
distribution system that delivers power. National average cost
of power is about 12c kwh. About half of that is the cost of the
power and the other half the cost of distribution. So, if the power
company paid 3 or 4 c for excess power that your solar array produces,
that doesn't sound unreasonable.

There was also a big uproar when some states wanted to start
charging people who have solar more, because they are still
relying on that distribution system, pretty much like their
neighbor, but paying little or nothing towards the cost of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How well do power grids really work?

On 6/5/2015 1:18 PM, rebel wrote:
I've always wanted to live off the grid, use solar, wind, and geothermal
power and heat and sell the extra back to the power grid. An earth
banked or underground home would be the icing on the cake. Not sure
about how to do phone service off the grid, though.

As someone else mentioned, how can you sell power back
to the grid, if you're off grid?

My guess is that the equipment and metering to do so
will cost more than the grid will pay you for the
power. Time spent on other matters will be more
productive.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2015 3:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
It's amazing how close their vision of the future

turned out for some early inventors and writers. I
remember reading a SiFi story written by one of the
great writers of the genre where every man, woman
and child had a small handheld device that connected
to a massive central computer which they would consult
whenever they wanted some information. This made it
unnecessary for anyone to retain information or remember
how to do anything. I wish I could remember the name
of the author. Perhaps I'll use the small device on
the table in front of me to consult a massive system
of interconnected computers to find out the name of
the author? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Future Monster

I'm impressed how the Star Trek communicators
so closely resemble the flip phone I carry and
use every day.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How well do battery lights really work?

On 6/6/2015 12:17 AM, rebel wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:01:00 -0600, rbowman wrote:
We use solar for all our outdoor lighting.

So do I. When the light goes out I go inside or start
looking for my headlamp.

I've got some solar lights I can use indoors when the power goes out.

Harbor Freight has a solar charged outdoor
motion sensor light. I've wondered if it makes
sense to put the solar panel out in the sun,
and put the rest of the light indoors. For
power cuts. Fortunately, I don't have power
cuts often enough to recover the cost.

Area lights (for walking around the room) are
different than task lights like the old style
flashlight, or the strap on head lamp.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2015 1:03 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Al Gore is still making money off Global Cooling, err, Global Warming, err, Climate Change or is it cow farts? That's it, he's started a campaign to attach catalytic converters to cow butts. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fart Monster

Some how, the planet doesn't mind if you emit carbon,
you just have to buy carbon offset credits from Al
Gore, and now it's okay.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

| I think that people living on their phones is mainly
| an urban phenomenon.
|

| You might be surprised. Farmers use theirs quite a bit.
| They can order supplies, check the weather and markets etc.

IF they can get a signal. As I pointed out,
many can't get a signal at their home.

Actually, though, you raise an interesting
point. I've noticed that cellphone addicts
often don't really seem to notice how bad
the service is. It's often difficult to understand
what they're saying due to gaps or static.
One would think that at home they'd use
the superior technology of a landline phone,
rather than subject friends and family to
1950s-quality phone communication.
But they seem to just be out of the habit
of using regular phones.

Lase week I was on the Boston subway when
a young man approached and asked to borrow
my cellphone. He was very anxious. His iPhone
battery had died and he needed to call his father
to get picked up at the station. I told him sorry,
but I don't use a cellphone. He repeated his
story and then slowly wandered away. He seemed
to think I was suspicious of him, never considering
that maybe I meant exactly what I said -- that
I didn't have a cellphone.

I thought of offering the young man that I
could call his father as soon as I walked home
from the station, but I decided that by that
point he probably thought I was unfriendly
at best and an anti-social weirdo without a
cellphone at worst, so maybe it was best to
leave him to his own devices.... or lack thereof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2015 7:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/6/2015 12:17 AM, rebel wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:01:00 -0600, rbowman wrote:
We use solar for all our outdoor lighting.

So do I. When the light goes out I go inside or start
looking for my headlamp.

I've got some solar lights I can use indoors when the power goes out.

Harbor Freight has a solar charged outdoor
motion sensor light. I've wondered if it makes
sense to put the solar panel out in the sun,
and put the rest of the light indoors. For
power cuts. Fortunately, I don't have power
cuts often enough to recover the cost.

Area lights (for walking around the room) are
different than task lights like the old style
flashlight, or the strap on head lamp.

I like to pick up various project items at Harbor Freight. That's where
I bought some rope LED solar lights.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:09:59 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| I think that people living on their phones is mainly
| an urban phenomenon.
|

| You might be surprised. Farmers use theirs quite a bit.
| They can order supplies, check the weather and markets etc.

IF they can get a signal. As I pointed out,
many can't get a signal at their home.

Actually, though, you raise an interesting
point. I've noticed that cellphone addicts
often don't really seem to notice how bad
the service is. It's often difficult to understand
what they're saying due to gaps or static.
One would think that at home they'd use
the superior technology of a landline phone,
rather than subject friends and family to
1950s-quality phone communication.
But they seem to just be out of the habit
of using regular phones.

Lase week I was on the Boston subway when
a young man approached and asked to borrow
my cellphone. He was very anxious. His iPhone
battery had died and he needed to call his father
to get picked up at the station. I told him sorry,
but I don't use a cellphone. He repeated his
story and then slowly wandered away. He seemed
to think I was suspicious of him, never considering
that maybe I meant exactly what I said -- that
I didn't have a cellphone.

I thought of offering the young man that I
could call his father as soon as I walked home
from the station, but I decided that by that
point he probably thought I was unfriendly
at best and an anti-social weirdo without a
cellphone at worst, so maybe it was best to
leave him to his own devices.... or lack thereof.

Didn't there used to be payphones in the subway stations? It's hard to find a payphone anywhere these days. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2015 7:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/6/2015 12:17 AM, rebel wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:01:00 -0600, rbowman wrote:
We use solar for all our outdoor lighting.

So do I. When the light goes out I go inside or start
looking for my headlamp.

I've got some solar lights I can use indoors when the power goes out.

Harbor Freight has a solar charged outdoor
motion sensor light. I've wondered if it makes
sense to put the solar panel out in the sun,
and put the rest of the light indoors. For
power cuts. Fortunately, I don't have power
cuts often enough to recover the cost.

Have a good-sized shed at the rear of the property which houses lawn
mowers, etc and is used for general storage. Never bothered to run
electricity out to as we rarely need to visit it at night.

Bought the Harbor Freight motion sensor light (think it's 45 or 65
LED's) when on sale for around $25. Works like a charm. Plenty of
light to illuminate the interior (10 x 14) at night. Just drilled a
hole in the south wall to run the cord for the solar panel through and
sealed it. Going on 3 years with the original rechargeable AA's installed.

Other bright idea that I had was buying one of Harbor Freight's little
dashboard solar chargers used to provide a float charge to your car or
RV battery. No idea how well it works for a car but it's great for
keeping the lawnmower battery topped off over the winter. I just put
the panel in the window and connect the output to the battery terminals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/06/2015 09:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Didn't there used to be payphones in the subway stations? It's hard to find a payphone anywhere these days. o_O

Australia and Taiwan still have payphones. The phone booths are WiFi
hotspots as well -- but you have to have service with the right
ISP/phone co.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 11:17:38 AM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 06/06/2015 09:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Didn't there used to be payphones in the subway stations? It's hard to find a payphone anywhere these days. o_O

Australia and Taiwan still have payphones. The phone booths are WiFi
hotspots as well -- but you have to have service with the right
ISP/phone co.

Perce

I was wondering how cell phones would work underground then I remembered the passive radiator antennas used in mines and underground construction for two way radio. Of course there are the small cell signal repeaters but I must profess my ignorance of the operation of cell phones in the subway because there aren't any of them here in Alabamastan but there are mines. I do recall some phones using WiFi to connect and it would be easy to put WiFi in a subway system. Oh well, I'm off to do some research. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Cell Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 1:13:22 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

There are what are essentially small cell phone sites available
that can go in a building, subway station, tunnel, etc. That's
what they use. Similar to how wifi hotspots are deployed.