Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Cell phones and standards.

I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone. Business need a dock
at the reception desk. You should have a STANDARD USB dock that you
can either plug your phone or a flash drive to furnish the info.

The cell phone can be smart enough to furnish your name and address as
one level of security and furnish phone number and more sensitive data
as another level of security. This could be granted by entering a pin
on your phone and then a menu of info you want to furnish.

Also, on the way home, we were listening to my Ipod thru a cassette
interface I have for my cassette player. She wanted to listen to some
songs from her cell phone. To my delight, her phone jack was too
small for the cassette adapter. I would have been ready to shoot
myself in the head had we had to listen to her music all the way home,
but it still should be a standard size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Hmm,
Do you want to live in commie country?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Do you want to live in Commie country?
You are behind. Blue tooth, wireless...
What is this jack and plug business?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone. Business need a dock
at the reception desk. You should have a STANDARD USB dock that you
can either plug your phone or a flash drive to furnish the info.

lose your phone and someone else now has your personal info.
given enough time,they can crack the security.
And if there's a minor failure in memory,then the data is corrupt,you would
not know it,and you could get mistreated.IF you entered the data correctly
in the first place.

The cell phone can be smart enough to furnish your name and address as
one level of security and furnish phone number and more sensitive data
as another level of security. This could be granted by entering a pin
on your phone and then a menu of info you want to furnish.

Also, on the way home, we were listening to my Ipod thru a cassette
interface I have for my cassette player. She wanted to listen to some
songs from her cell phone. To my delight, her phone jack was too
small for the cassette adapter. I would have been ready to shoot
myself in the head had we had to listen to her music all the way home,
but it still should be a standard size.

if there were standards for cellphone interfaces,then cellphone companies
would not be able to sell you accessories,because you could get them at
lower cost from other companies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2010 15:14, Metspitzer wrote:
I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone. Business need a dock
at the reception desk. You should have a STANDARD USB dock that you
can either plug your phone or a flash drive to furnish the info.

Rather than that, why can't the doctor subscribe to a HIPAA-compliant
secure web service from where prospective patients could enter the data
prior to the office visit? There are several programs available that
will automatically fill in web forms with standard information.

Further OT, one advantage of belonging to a big HMO is that you only
need to fill these forms out once, and those with a need to know have
ready access to your medical record.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/10 06:14 pm, Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Taiwan instituted a universal health care system following a study of
health care systems around the world. Everyone in Taiwan has a card
(magnetic, AFAIK), which a physician, hospital, pharmacy, etc., swipes
through a reader and can see the person's whole medical history. Very
efficient.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone.

No, not everyone has a cell phone. My DH has one, but it's emergency use
only (1-2 times a year), and I can't remember the number (displays when
turned on). No one calls it, it doesn't accept messages, and it has NO info
of ANY kind stored on it other than the AAA roadside assistance 800 number.
He only has it because he travels for work and drives an old car. I don't
have a cell phone, my mother doesn't, my closest neighbor doesn't, etc.
There are a LOT of people without cell phones. We neither need nor want
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:16:56 -0500, "h"
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone.

No, not everyone has a cell phone. My DH has one, but it's emergency use
only (1-2 times a year), and I can't remember the number (displays when
turned on). No one calls it, it doesn't accept messages, and it has NO info
of ANY kind stored on it other than the AAA roadside assistance 800 number.
He only has it because he travels for work and drives an old car. I don't
have a cell phone, my mother doesn't, my closest neighbor doesn't, etc.
There are a LOT of people without cell phones. We neither need nor want
them.

Well then you get to fill out forms the old fashioned way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 1/16/2010 15:14, Metspitzer wrote:
I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone. Business need a dock
at the reception desk. You should have a STANDARD USB dock that you
can either plug your phone or a flash drive to furnish the info.

Rather than that, why can't the doctor subscribe to a HIPAA-compliant
secure web service from where prospective patients could enter the data
prior to the office visit? There are several programs available that
will automatically fill in web forms with standard information.

Further OT, one advantage of belonging to a big HMO is that you only
need to fill these forms out once, and those with a need to know have
ready access to your medical record.

Doesn't matter. Most of the local practitioners with group offices have
been swallowed up by the local medi-borg conglomerate, which uses the
same back office for all the sites. The quack I go to, who had been
using tablet PCs before this latest time the practice got sold, is back
to paper for their office workflow. And even though I am in the master
computer down to the nth degree, they STILL make me fill out the damn
blue sheets of paper every damn time I have contact with any of them.
Dirty little secret- car dealers have better automation that the
retail-level medical care business does. They Just Don't Get It.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2010 20:29, aemeijers wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

Actually they do. Lots of folks value their privacy and seek out
providers who aren't married to the government.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I took my niece to the doctor. The first thing they do is have you
fill out a form. Everyone now has a cell phone.

No, not everyone has a cell phone. My DH has one, but it's emergency use
only (1-2 times a year), and I can't remember the number (displays when
turned on). No one calls it, it doesn't accept messages, and it has NO info
of ANY kind stored on it other than the AAA roadside assistance 800 number.
He only has it because he travels for work and drives an old car. I don't
have a cell phone, my mother doesn't, my closest neighbor doesn't, etc.
There are a LOT of people without cell phones. We neither need nor want
them.

I finally broke down and got one of those cheap prepaid phones about 5
years ago, for days when I was on call or traveling. (tried to find a
phone booth lately?) Costs about 8 bucks a month, and probably has over
$200 in time built up on it, since I make maybe a couple dozen calls a
year. Mostly it lives in my briefcase. I try to remember to charge it
every few months, and check the voicemail once a week.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 6:30*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Metspitzer wrote :

[...]

In most cases, I don't see a lack of standards forcing anyone to buy
cellphone accesories from the phone manufacturer or any particular
company. For example, Bluetooth headsets work with any Bluetooth
phone. I've always found a battery if I needed one as an aftermarket
part on Ebay for $7. And most phones now use a USB connector to
charge. Last cell phone I bought, an LG Dare last year, I went on
Ebay and for $15 I got a rubber protective case, a car charger, an
additional AC charger, a USB cable, and a pack of screen protectors.

As for the idea of storing sensitive personal data in a cell phone, I
think it's a bad idea regardless of the security. A cell phone is
too easily lost and sooner or later it's too likely that someone will
crack any security.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote :

[...]

Don't most cell phones already have the added security of wiping the
data automatically with a call from the phone provider?
If you lose your phone you can call the provider and they can clear
the phone.