Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pocket Hose Question

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2015 8:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

No, but you can put a shutoff valve on.
Be forewarned, many of those expanding
hoses leak and explode very early in their
life cycles.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand
and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will
most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand
once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the
mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 18:15:35 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand
and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will
most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand
once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the
mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

Anything is possible for webtv.net users.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:15:33 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

I guess that was your lame attempt to be funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:22:53 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

Anything is possible for webtv.net users.

There is no WebTV, it's a fake address like yours is.
If you care to check my headers you will see what my
ISP is. If you have trouble doing this, let me know
I'll help you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 18:37:41 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:22:53 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

Anything is possible for webtv.net users.

There is no WebTV, it's a fake address like yours is.
If you care to check my headers you will see what my
ISP is. If you have trouble doing this, let me know
I'll help you.

Okay. What have you decided about the hose. Will it or will it not
work to help you.

Surely it can't be the only hose you have, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

Dunno, but I have an adapter that screws on where the kitchen faucet
aerator goes and garden hoses screw onto it.

It was the only one for sale wherever I bought it and I've never noticed
another of these for sale, but I haven't looked either. Sureyl they
sell it some place.

Just one piece, maybe 3/4" long.

I hope my question makes sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 May 2015, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:15:33 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

I guess that was your lame attempt to be funny.

I thought it was quite robust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote in message
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:15:33 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

I guess that was your lame attempt to be funny.

I thought it was funny you were wondering how long this type of 25 foot hose
was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically
expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that
will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does
expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it
reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

That hose, I believe is a smaller rubber tube inside a woven sheath. It might at
least be a 2 person job to stretch it without stressing it at the faucet. It
will probably work to fill the bed, with will not work to drain it very
effectively because the internal hose is small diameter and short when there is
no water pressure. Not the best choice, especially if you have a leak and have
to drain the bed quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses
that
magically expand and then shrink back to their original
short
length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided
waterbed that
will most likely have to be topped off next week. I
realize it
does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_
pull it to
make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Is the hose bib 25' or is it 50' from the bed?

She may have to pull the bed closer to the hose.

Anything is possible for webtv.net users.

https://www.facebook.com/Wave105/vid...1/?pnref=story

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 10:23:28 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

I thought it was funny you were wondering how long this type of 25 foot hose
was.

I know what the length is. What I was wondering if I could stretch it to fit the intake on the bed before turning on the water. Sorry you can't comprehend my question; seems like the folks on Amazon caught on immediately. The hose is going back to Home Depot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 11:09:06 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

That hose, I believe is a smaller rubber tube inside a woven sheath. It might at
least be a 2 person job to stretch it without stressing it at the faucet. It
will probably work to fill the bed, with will not work to drain it very
effectively because the internal hose is small diameter and short when there is
no water pressure. Not the best choice, especially if you have a leak and have
to drain the bed quickly.

Ahhhhhhh, someone who understands my question. I was hoping
this suit my need as it would be compact when not in use.
I understand now that I cannot really stretch it to it's
workable 25' length without turning on the faucet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 22:42:51 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 11:09:06 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

That hose, I believe is a smaller rubber tube inside a woven sheath. It might at
least be a 2 person job to stretch it without stressing it at the faucet. It
will probably work to fill the bed, with will not work to drain it very
effectively because the internal hose is small diameter and short when there is
no water pressure. Not the best choice, especially if you have a leak and have
to drain the bed quickly.

Ahhhhhhh, someone who understands my question. I was hoping
this suit my need as it would be compact when not in use.
I understand now that I cannot really stretch it to it's
workable 25' length without turning on the faucet.

Though you would be able to drain the thing by running the hose out the
window and siphoning, if the water had a place to go. . How the
diameter would affect thigns, I don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote in

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Put one of these shut off valves on the end of the hose and turn on
the water, then shut the valve. That should fill the hose up. Then
bring the end to the bed.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Me...395S/203136689

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CRNG" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote in

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand
and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will
most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand
once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the
mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Put one of these shut off valves on the end of the hose and turn on
the water, then shut the valve. That should fill the hose up. Then
bring the end to the bed.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Me...395S/203136689

It makes eminent sense and is so obvious the original question is absurd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2015 9:04 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/29/2015 8:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically
expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will
most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand
once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the
mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

No, but you can put a shutoff valve on.
Be forewarned, many of those expanding
hoses leak and explode very early in their
life cycles.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Knowing a little bit about plastics and strengths of materials, it would
appear that these hoses have low safety factors. Junk to me. I would
not buy one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On 05/29/2015 08:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

No, in my opinion, magic tv hoses look like a good idea but are low quality barely useful junk.

I bought a 25' one today as

Take it back and exchange it for a real hose.

I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week.
I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

Every waterbed owner should assemble a waterbed emergency kit. The kit should have the following:

- real 5/8" or 3/4" hose that will reach from the waterbed to a hot/cold water source.
- short hose to go from the bed inlet to the pump.
- water pump to evacuate the bed in a leak emergency.
- all the necessary fittings to connect it all together. Make sure you have all the faucet adapters to make required connections.
- a spare mattress heater with control.
- a couple water shut-off valves for the hose http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12365-Ga.../dp/B000HHSGZ2

Store all this stuff in a plastic tub with a lid. Next time you spring a leak at 2am, you'll thank me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 6:48:20 AM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

"CRNG" wrote in message

Put one of these shut off valves on the end of the hose and turn on
the water, then shut the valve. That should fill the hose up. Then
bring the end to the bed.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Me...395S/203136689

It makes eminent sense and is so obvious the original question is absurd.

No, my question was not absurd, I had no idea there was
such a device as a 'metal hose shut off.' I'm not a plumber
nor a jack of all trades that's why I came here with my
question. Sorry if it bothers you that someone would ask a
question when you deem they should already have this advice
tucked away.

Get over yourself, nobody died and left you emperor of this
group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 8:28:20 AM UTC-5, Red wrote:

On 05/29/2015 08:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

No, in my opinion, magic tv hoses look like a good idea but are low quality barely useful junk.

I bought a 25' one today as

Take it back and exchange it for a real hose.

Trust me, I am!

I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week.
I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

Every waterbed owner should assemble a waterbed emergency kit. The kit should have the following:

- real 5/8" or 3/4" hose that will reach from the waterbed to a hot/cold water source.
- short hose to go from the bed inlet to the pump.
- water pump to evacuate the bed in a leak emergency.
- all the necessary fittings to connect it all together. Make sure you have all the faucet adapters to make required connections.
- a spare mattress heater with control.
- a couple water shut-off valves for the hose http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12365-Ga.../dp/B000HHSGZ2

Store all this stuff in a plastic tub with a lid. Next time you spring a leak at 2am, you'll thank me.

Yes, I am going to buy a regular 25' hose to be used
ONLY for the bed. Hoses that are used for gardening
and car washing are not recommended unless they are
flushed for several minutes before connecting to the
waterbed valve.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 9:01 AM, Frank wrote:
No, but you can put a shutoff valve on.
Be forewarned, many of those expanding
hoses leak and explode very early in their
life cycles.

Knowing a little bit about plastics and strengths of materials, it would
appear that these hoses have low safety factors. Junk to me. I would
not buy one.

I bought one, and then later read the reviews.
I'm almost afraid to use the expanding hose.
So far, regular hose has worked when needed.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote in message
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 10:23:28 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

I thought it was funny you were wondering how long this type of 25 foot
hose
was.

I know what the length is. What I was wondering if I could stretch it to
fit the intake on the bed before turning on the water. Sorry you can't
comprehend my question; seems like the folks on Amazon caught on
immediately. The hose is going back to Home Depot.
----------

"I hope my question makes sense."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2015 11:51 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Yes, I am going to buy a regular 25' hose to be used
ONLY for the bed. Hoses that are used for gardening
and car washing are not recommended unless they are
flushed for several minutes before connecting to the
waterbed valve.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!

The one time I tried to help move a water bed, the
people had run a hose out the window to drain it.
I suspect that straight down and out the front steps
would have worked better. When we tried to move it,
far too heavy.

I guess it takes much too much time to get the last bit
of water. U-Haul rents water bed pumps, oddly enough.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/29/2015 07:36 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

My best hose is a rubber one from Sears, but it's heavy and hard to move
around.

I also have a Pocket Hose. It works well enough as long as you don't
expect it to handle full water pressure. There are too many flaws in the
connectors and these burst. If your water pressure is over 40 PSI or so,
you need a pressure reducer.

My use is with a hose-end sprayer to put fungicide on some spots in the
yard (usually needed mid-July until it gets cold).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk."
[Tom Waits]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CRNG" wrote in message

Put one of these shut off valves on the end of the hose and turn on
the water, then shut the valve. That should fill the hose up. Then
bring the end to the bed.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Me...395S/203136689

It makes eminent sense and is so obvious the original question is absurd.

No, my question was not absurd, I had no idea there was
such a device as a 'metal hose shut off.' I'm not a plumber
nor a jack of all trades that's why I came here with my
question. Sorry if it bothers you that someone would ask a
question when you deem they should already have this advice
tucked away.

Get over yourself, nobody died and left you emperor of this
group.

I'm sorry you had to run into an incandescent sphincter in this group but am I to understand that you want to fill or drain a waterbed? To me the collapsible hose wouldn't be very workable for draining the waterbed. It could possibly be used if you had a screw on valve that attaches like a spray nozzle. With it shut off, you could turn on the water and the hose would expand then you could attach the end with the shut off to your waterbed then turn it on to fill your bed. Have you searched any of the waterbed sellers sites for recommended procedures for filling and draining your waterbed? Most folks who regularly post to this group are glad to share their knowledge with you about any subject. Unfortunately there are a few nasty people but they are in the minority. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Wet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:46:45 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote in

No, my question was not absurd, I had no idea there was
such a device as a 'metal hose shut off.' I'm not a plumber
nor a jack of all trades that's why I came here with my
question. Sorry if it bothers you that someone would ask a
question when you deem they should already have this advice
tucked away.

There are a lot of rude people that hang around USENET. It's one of
the few places left were they can display there rudeness. Just ignore
them.

Get over yourself, nobody died and left you emperor of this
group.

Good reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 09:28:14 -0400, Red wrote:

I bought a 25' one today as

Take it back and exchange it for a real hose.

I have a pocket hose, only because it was given to me. I used it once,
and was not highly impressed. I have plenty of real hoses, but I will
use the pocket hose again, as long as it lasts. It seems cheap and I
dont think it will last long. It also restricts the flow, so you wont
get as much water capacity per minute, but it is better than the self
coiling hose I bought some years ago, that got stuck on everything, and
over the years, it got very brittle, and one day it just broke in half.

I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have

to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water
is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

Every waterbed owner should assemble a waterbed emergency kit. The kit
should have the following:

I agree about the emergency kit, but still dont understand why anyone
would desire to own a waterbed????? Besides all the trouble of filling
and maintaining them, they can do structural damage, wreck flooring when
they leak, and cause other problems. Add to that, they are absolutely
uncomfortable. Many years ago, I was "house sitting" for someone, and
they told me to sleep on the waterbed. After sloshing around and feeling
like I was getting sea-sick, for an hour or two, I went and slept on the
couch.

If I was a landlord, I would NOT allow waterbeds!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:02:00 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

There are a lot of rude people that hang around USENET. It's one of
the few places left were they can display there rudeness. Just ignore
them.

Hey, I not only ignore the rude assholes, but I kill-file them, using
filters. Of course that requires REAL newsgroup software, not
google-groups.

But anyhow, I'd much rather deal with rudeness on usenet, than exist
inside the whitewashed fantasy world that exists on facebook and other
social media sites these days.

When usenet is dead, I'll cut the cord to the internet. Usenet and Email
are about the only useful things left on the internet. And any cellphone
can be used for email now-a-days. Even my pre-paid "Dumb Phone" can do
email.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 04:48:19 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"CRNG" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:36:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote in

Anybody here have one of those 'as seen on TV' hoses that magically expand
and then shrink back to their original short length?

I bought a 25' one today as I have a new soft sided waterbed that will
most likely have to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand
once the water is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the
mattress??

I hope my question makes sense.

Put one of these shut off valves on the end of the hose and turn on
the water, then shut the valve. That should fill the hose up. Then
bring the end to the bed.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Me...395S/203136689

It makes eminent sense and is so obvious the original question is absurd.

That would be true maybe if everyone thought of it, but for 11 hours no
one thought of it until CRNG did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 12:21:18 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

I'm sorry you had to run into an incandescent sphincter in this group but am I to understand that you want to fill or drain a waterbed?

To top it off. It has the lumbar support and once it expands
to it's full capacity it will probably need a bit more
water.

Have you searched any of the waterbed sellers sites for recommended procedures for filling and draining your waterbed?

Yes, when I bought it the dealer to be sure and use a CLEAN
hose, preferably a new one. Thus I bought the pocket hose
but will return it because of all it's negative comments; it's
just not the hose I should be using.

Most folks who regularly post to this group are glad to share their knowledge with you about any subject. Unfortunately there are a few nasty people but they are in the minority. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Wet Monster

There's at least one in every group. Sometimes they run
in packs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 15:03:51 -0400, micky
wrote in

On Sat, 30 May 2015 04:48:19 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"CRNG" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's the great advantage of a group like this: the collective
experience and thoughts of a lot of people. I even enjoy some of the
troll banter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 1:13:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Take it back and exchange it for a real hose.

It's definitely going back and I'm going to buy a
*real* hose, 25 footer.

I have a new soft sided waterbed that will most likely have
to be topped off next week. I realize it does expand once the water
is turned ON but can _I_ pull it to make it reach the mattress??

I agree about the emergency kit, but still dont understand why anyone
would desire to own a waterbed?????

It is 98% waveless and sooooooo comfortable. I've awoken
the last 2 days with no pain in my left shoulder that I
somehow managed to injure. :-(

Besides all the trouble of filling
and maintaining them, they can do structural damage, wreck flooring when
they leak, and cause other problems.

I made sure my daylight basement had a floor jack right
where the waterbed is sitting.

Add to that, they are absolutely
uncomfortable. Many years ago, I was "house sitting" for someone, and
they told me to sleep on the waterbed. After sloshing around and feeling
like I was getting sea-sick, for an hour or two, I went and slept on the
couch.

That was the old style waterbed, they're still being sold but
now you can buy a softsided water that looks exactly like a
regular bed. They use regular sheets and other bedding as
well. NO sloshing and no seasickness. Extremely comfortable
and that's after sleeping on it for only two days and no
pressure points.

If I was a landlord, I would NOT allow waterbeds!

I'm sure there are many that don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2015 12:28:25 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[...]

You raise a good point here about softsided water. Water beds are a
problem if you have well water, especially if it's very hard. It leads
to sore backs, shoulders, you name it.

IF you have that, you should get a water softener, and then they are
very comfortable.

Try fill your pillows with soft water too.

regular bed. They use regular sheets and other bedding as
well. NO sloshing and no seasickness. Extremely comfortable
and that's after sleeping on it for only two days and no
pressure points.

If I was a landlord, I would NOT allow waterbeds!

I'm sure there are many that don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davy Jones" wrote in message
On 5/30/2015 2:12 PM, wrote:
I agree about the emergency kit, but still dont understand why anyone
would desire to own a waterbed????? Besides all the trouble of filling
and maintaining them, they can do structural damage, wreck flooring when
they leak, and cause other problems. Add to that, they are absolutely
uncomfortable.

Bought a Land and Sky's Impression 8500 99% waveless.
http://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/las...CategoryID=603

No pressure points so I wake up in the same position as when I fall
asleep.

The few times I woke up in the same position as when I fell asleep, I was
paralyzed and had to will myself to twitch myself back to the living. Very
frightening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pocket Horse Question

Why wont it fit in my pocket . . . .