Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Diagnose This Dishwasher Leak?

The dishwasher started leaking while running last night. It appears to only leak during certain cycles. The water comes from under the dishwasher. The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively dry. It's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet valve is opening when it should but for some reason the pump isn't pumping, or it's not pumping the water to where it needs to be. I turned the machine on it's side and ran it briefly. I can't see where the water is leaking out. I think I hear the pump running. Any ideas what might be wrong?

TIA,
-Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2015 1:54 PM, SMcK wrote:

The dishwasher started leaking while running last night. It appears to only leak during certain cycles. The water comes from under the dishwasher. The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively dry. It's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet valve is opening when it should but for some reason the pump isn't pumping, or it's not pumping the water to where it needs to be. I turned the machine on it's side and ran it briefly. I can't see where the water is leaking out. I think I hear the pump running. Any ideas what might be wrong?

TIA,
-Scott

Have you looked while it is running? Get a bright flashlight, get down
on the floor, remove the kick panel, and watch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 2:03:58 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/24/2015 1:54 PM, SMcK wrote:

The dishwasher started leaking while running last night. It appears to only leak during certain cycles. The water comes from under the dishwasher. The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively dry. It's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet valve is opening when it should but for some reason the pump isn't pumping, or it's not pumping the water to where it needs to be. I turned the machine on it's side and ran it briefly. I can't see where the water is leaking out. I think I hear the pump running. Any ideas what might be wrong?

TIA,
-Scott

Have you looked while it is running? Get a bright flashlight, get down
on the floor, remove the kick panel, and watch.

I only watched briefly while it was running on its side. By kick panel, do you mean the one in front? I'll try that, though I kind of doubt I'll be able to see much.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2015 1:54 PM, SMcK wrote:

[...]

From front under the DW while it is running. Is it digital control(most
new ones) or old timer control?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 May 2015 10:54:26 -0700 (PDT), SMcK
wrote:

The dishwasher started leaking while running last night. It appears to only leak during certain cycles. The water comes from under the dishwasher.

The water appears to be clean. Inside the dishwasher was relatively
dry. It's not a case of overflowing. I wonder whether the the inlet
valve is opening when it should but for some reason the pump isn't
pumping, or it's not pumping the water to where it needs to be. I
turned the machine on it's side and ran it briefly. I can't see where
the water is leaking out. I think I hear the pump running. Any ideas
what might be wrong?

TIA,
-Scott

I had a DW that leaked down the door. Turned out the inside vent near
the top of the door wasn't sealed well and water could splash at the
vent and get inside the door and it then ran out the bottom.

It could also be the door seal itself. And sometimes it depends on
where you load what dishes whether the water winds up hitting the
right spot to leak out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

my drain to the garbage disposal was blocked up with xxx and therefore backed up onto the sinktop and then the floor, recently

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

How in the world did you run the dishwasher on its side with water in it. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the door and short out the electrical timer, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 May 2015 19:43:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

How in the world did you run the dishwasher on its side with water in it

Very, very carefully. We are hunting wabbiits G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 10:43:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How in the world did you run the dishwasher on its side with water in it. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the door and short out the electrical timer, etc.

Bingo! We have a winner here. Troll detected!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:46:18 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 10:43:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How in the world did you run the dishwasher on its side with water in it. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the door and short out the electrical timer, etc.

Bingo! We have a winner here. Troll detected!

Now, not a troll. I considered that attempting to run it on its side might not be a good idea, and only did it for a few seconds. I don't think it caused any permanent problem.

I assume this dishwasher is a timer type. Turn the dial and it spins around slowly through the cycles.

As I said, it only seems to leak when it's pumping water in (or out?). This isn't a case of leaking around the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 2:34:58 PM UTC-4, SMcK wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:46:18 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 10:43:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How in the world did you run the dishwasher on its side with water in it. All the door ventilation is based on water running downhill, not onto the side. On its side it is a miracle that the water did not get into the door and short out the electrical timer, etc.

Bingo! We have a winner here. Troll detected!

Now, not a troll. I considered that attempting to run it on its side might not be a good idea, and only did it for a few seconds. I don't think it caused any permanent problem.

I assume this dishwasher is a timer type. Turn the dial and it spins around slowly through the cycles.

As I said, it only seems to leak when it's pumping water in (or out?). This isn't a case of leaking around the door.

....PS - There was no water in it when I put it on its side.

Dishwasher leak Val[_3_] Home Repair 6 January 19th 11 02:46 PM
Question on potentially sediment-clogged dishwasher (how to diagnose & repair)? Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator Home Repair 16 March 17th 08 01:43 AM
Question on potentially sediment-clogged dishwasher (how to diagnose & repair)? Donna Ohl Electronics Repair 7 March 17th 08 01:43 AM
leak on my ge dishwasher [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 16th 06 08:42 PM
Dishwasher leak John Richards Home Repair 3 February 24th 04 08:04 PM