Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water in garage

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 1:59:58 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/11/2015 12:57 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Are you in an area that has had more than the usual rain? Especially if
the ground is still frozen and the water cannot seep through yet. Did
your neighbor do anything to a small stream nearby?

Any chance it's AC condensate from a car?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/11/2015 12:57 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Are you in an area that has had more than the usual rain? Especially if
the ground is still frozen and the water cannot seep through yet. Did
your neighbor do anything to a small stream nearby?

We've gotten a lot of rain, but we have gotten a lot worse over the
years. Nothing like a small stream nearby and he hasn't done anything
like rework his downspouts to change their flow. I will do a lousy job
of explaining, but here goes. There are what appears to some very short
cement blocks along the outside. There is a spot that looks like it
close to the problem on the inside that looks darker like maybe it is
wet.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 3:41:14 PM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

What's the outside of the garage made of? Any knot holes, gaps,
anything look not right where water could get in? Have you inspected
the roof area above?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 May 2015 12:57:44 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?

Why not under the garage door? That's where it came in our garage.

Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Anyhow, if it's only once in 27 years, don't worry about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?

Why not under the garage door? That's where it came in our garage.

This is WAY away from the garage door and there is no wetness between
the door and the spot and (or puddle if you prefer) definitely leads
back to the wall.

Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Anyhow, if it's only once in 27 years, don't worry about it.

Getting ready to sell the place and I don't want problems with the
inspection
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 May 2015 21:50:45 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Anyhow, if it's only once in 27 years, don't worry about it.

Getting ready to sell the place and I don't want problems with the
inspection

Wouldn't the inspector have to hang out there for 27 years to be likely
to see the wet floor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2015 01:49:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2015 21:50:45 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Anyhow, if it's only once in 27 years, don't worry about it.

Getting ready to sell the place and I don't want problems with the
inspection

Wouldn't the inspector have to hang out there for 27 years to be likely
to see the wet floor?

Perhaps, but you never know. It could be 27 years or it could be
tomorrow and again next week. Depends if something has changed, been
damaged, or been rerouted
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2015 21:50:45 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

I have a garage that is on a slab. Yesterday (for the first time in 27
years we have lived there) there was water on the floor about half way
down. The puddle indicated that it came in at ground level and there
appeared to be no discoloration on the wall so I would assume it is
coming in where the slab and the wall meets?
Any suggestions on the possible cause and possible corrections?

Anyhow, if it's only once in 27 years, don't worry about it.

Getting ready to sell the place and I don't want problems with the
inspection

Wouldn't the inspector have to hang out there for 27 years to be likely
to see the wet floor?

Perhaps, but you never know. It could be 27 years or it could be
tomorrow and again next week. Depends if something has changed, been
damaged, or been rerouted

True. I'm probably biased by my own experience. Once in 32 years it
has rained so much the sump overflowed even while the sump pump was
going full blast and putting out a large flow of water. It didn't
actually seem like it had ranged that much, but it was 7 years ago and
hasn't happened since. (I should have bought a sump pump one size
bigger than I did.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:

Getting ready to sell the place and I don't want problems with the
inspection

Wouldn't the inspector have to hang out there for 27 years to be likely
to see the wet floor?

Not if it rained that day and/or more rains come and there begins to be
discoloration, etc., of the walls.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

In news Kurt Ullman typed:
In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Any chance that you could post a couple of photos using something like
http://tinypic.com/ ?

Depending on what you have there, maybe the water is coming through the wall
from the outside, and maybe you could parge that wall to fix the problem.
(?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could it possibly have come off a vehicle brought in from outside the garage while it was raining??