Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Measuring A/C Air Temp

Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

Uh, I think it's called a thermometer.

But, if they are using an IR gun they are probably measuring the
temperature of the vent metal which should reflect the air temperature
pretty well.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/05/2015 4:34 PM, Boris wrote:

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

Probably don't need to buy anything...just hang a reasonable-quality
thermometer from the vent in the air flow and you'll be well within
accuracy needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2015 5:34 PM, Boris wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

Thermometer with a probe has always worked. Checking the vents helps,
bur checking temp drop over the evap coil is good too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 4:34 PM, Boris wrote:

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

Probably don't need to buy anything...just hang a reasonable-quality
thermometer from the vent in the air flow and you'll be well within
accuracy needed.

--

That was my thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 May 2015 21:34:40 +0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

Bed, Bath and Beyond, or any store with a kitchen department.

A popular model is 4 or 5 inches long, most of it probe, with a dial at
the top. And a plastic sleeve to put the probe in. I have one
somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

Bed, Bath and Beyond, or any store with a kitchen department.

A popular model is 4 or 5 inches long, most of it probe, with a dial at
the top. And a plastic sleeve to put the probe in. I have one
somewhere.

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.
If it's a ceiling one, could use a piece of tape to hold it
in for a few minutes to get a reading.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2015 5:34 PM, Boris wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=thermometer
Sign up for coupons, and discounts, now!

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 1:42 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Boris wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp.
coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

I use IR gun

In the US, we have to register our IR guns,
and cannot legally use them in public places
or federal or state buildings.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 3:19 AM, micky wrote:

A popular model is 4 or 5 inches long, most of it probe, with a dial at
the top. And a plastic sleeve to put the probe in. I have one
somewhere.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=thermometer

HF had both digital and analog models.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp.
coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

I use IR gun

In the US, we have to register our IR guns,
and cannot legally use them in public places
or federal or state buildings.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

I meant handheld thermometer using IR.
I also have multimeter with temperature probe.
Use to measure Delta T to make sure A/C is
working good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2015 5:34 PM, Boris wrote:
Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp.
coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=thermometer
Sign up for coupons, and discounts, now!

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

You fond of HF and loyal customer?
I never buy serious stuffs from place like HF.
All tools or gadgets I own will last my life time
and beyond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 10:58:29 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2015 5:34 PM, Boris wrote:
[...]

It depends on what you're buying at HF and what your usage
is. I recently bought a 3/4" breaker bar, for example.
From what I can see, it appears close enough to Craftsman
or SnapOn so for what I'm using it for, it's a good deal.
Usage is to loosen up wheel hub nuts on a car, something I
might do once a decade. I also bought a set of impact
sockets, and a set of extensions and they work perfectly fine.

On the other hand, if I needed an electric saw to use in
trades, I don't think I'd buy it at HF. And for something
like a multimeter, I agree buying a Fluke is the way to go.
My current one is 30 years old. I bought a cheap one at
HF to leave on my boat. It worked OK at first, within a
year, it was reading 30% off. I also needed some snap ring
pliers, bought a set at HF. The tips, instead of being
hardened steel, were so soft that they just bent. But I
took them back and they gave me a full refund.

So, I'd say it depends on what you're buying, your usage,
and using some judgement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 May 2015 05:03:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.

Exactly what I did to check my truck AC temp after I charged to system
(my first time doing AC).

Cooks and AC Tech's how very similar thermometers. with a probe to
check food temps or vent temps. Carried in a shirt pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2015 5:34 PM, Boris wrote:
[...]

From what I can see, it appears close enough to Craftsman
or SnapOn so for what I'm using it for, it's a good deal.
Usage is to loosen up wheel hub nuts on a car, something I
might do once a decade. I also bought a set of impact
sockets, and a set of extensions and they work perfectly fine.

On the other hand, if I needed an electric saw to use in
trades, I don't think I'd buy it at HF. And for something
like a multimeter, I agree buying a Fluke is the way to go.
My current one is 30 years old. I bought a cheap one at
HF to leave on my boat. It worked OK at first, within a
year, it was reading 30% off. I also needed some snap ring
pliers, bought a set at HF. The tips, instead of being
hardened steel, were so soft that they just bent. But I
took them back and they gave me a full refund.

So, I'd say it depends on what you're buying, your usage,
and using some judgement.

I bought a _10 Piece Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set_ at HF. No
regrets for use on my 4X4 front hubs.

Now I have to get off my buttocks and do the driver side (hub and
brake rebuild chore)

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 10:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I use IR gun

In the US, we have to register our IR guns,
and cannot legally use them in public places
or federal or state buildings.

.

I meant handheld thermometer using IR.
I also have multimeter with temperature probe.
Use to measure Delta T to make sure A/C is
working good.

Some times it's nice to be serious, other times
it's acceptable to be comic.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 10:58 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=thermometer
Sign up for coupons, and discounts, now!

You fond of HF and loyal customer?
I never buy serious stuffs from place like HF.
All tools or gadgets I own will last my life time
and beyond.

I agree, HF is not "serious tools". But for most
of my tasks, they are adequate.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.

Exactly what I did to check my truck AC temp after I charged to system
(my first time doing AC).

Cooks and AC Tech's how very similar thermometers. with a probe to
check food temps or vent temps. Carried in a shirt pocket.

A friend of mine was a mystery shopper, and often did shops at
Starbucks. The company she worked for sent her one of the little
thermometers, with the 2 or 3 mm probe, and the plastic probe cover.

She would buy coffee and a baked good and leave, go just out of sight
and measure the temp of the coffee. I think they didnt' tell her what
the temp should be, for fear that would bias her answer. I think it
couldn't be too cold or too hot. When I was there, I would eat the
baked good. (She's 50 and still weighs what she did in the 7th grade.)

When she stoppped working for them, I think they wanted the thermometer
back, or maybe it was just the stopwatch they gave her for another
client.

A lot of her clients went out of business within a year after she was
hired. Mystery shopping was their last ditch effort to find out what
they were doing wrong. But Starbucks is still going strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=thermometer
Sign up for coupons, and discounts, now!

You fond of HF and loyal customer?
I never buy serious stuffs from place like HF.
All tools or gadgets I own will last my life time
and beyond.

I agree, HF is not "serious tools". But for mostI am the ty[e
of my tasks, they are adequate.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Yes, indeed. We don't have HF up[ here.
Similar outfit is Princess auto. If I need
some thing for one time use or don't care if
it breaks after couple use, I go to Princess
Auto. My idea of buying any thing is best I could afford.
Or I save up to get what I want, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use IR gun

In the US, we have to register our IR guns,
and cannot legally use them in public places
or federal or state buildings.

I repair roll laminators for a living, I carry a one of those harbor freight ones, a customer went nuts, stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i pointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun........_
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 4:52:28 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

I use IR gun

In the US, we have to register our IR guns,
and cannot legally use them in public places
or federal or state buildings.

I repair roll laminators for a living, I carry a one of those harbor freight ones, a customer went nuts, stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i pointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun........_

honestly i dont use the heat gun often, i can look at the film and tell if its hot enough or too hot......

every now and then someone questions the temperature, after a couple got stolen i cheaped out with harbor freight
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 10:58 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I never buy serious stuffs from place like HF.
All tools or gadgets I own will last my life time
and beyond.

HF sells some junk, but some of the stuff is identical to the brand name
you are paying dearly for. I was surprised the first time I want to one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 4:52 PM, bob haller wrote:

I repair roll laminators for a living, I carry a one

of those harbor freight ones, a customer went nuts,
stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i pointed
it at my arm and the laser light came on and the
customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read
out. she believed it was a real gun......._

Worse, these type of creatures reproduce.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 4:56 PM, bob haller wrote:
I repair roll laminators for a living, I carry a one of those harbor freight ones, a customer went nuts, stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i pointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun......._

honestly i dont use the heat gun often, i can look at the film and tell if its hot enough or too hot......

every now and then someone questions the temperature, after a couple got stolen i cheaped out with harbor freight

Bother, I just hate it when that happens.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 4:34 PM, Boris wrote:

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

Probably don't need to buy anything...just hang a reasonable-quality
thermometer from the vent in the air flow and you'll be well within
accuracy needed.

--

That was my thought.

I use one from Pep Boys that they sell to measure the temp of the A/C
ducts in a car. It has a 6 inch probe with a round dial attached to the
end of the probe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.

Exactly what I did to check my truck AC temp after I charged to system
(my first time doing AC).

Cooks and AC Tech's how very similar thermometers. with a probe to
check food temps or vent temps. Carried in a shirt pocket.

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What you're
seeking is something that accurately portrays the differential, e.g if
the actual reading of the temp is off by 20 degrees but linear, you're
good. What you're seeking is a differential between the ambient outside
temp and the air coming out of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned
air is 20 degrees or more lower than ambient, you're in business.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment for
his multimeter to do the readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.

Exactly what I did to check my truck AC temp after I charged to system
(my first time doing AC).

Cooks and AC Tech's how very similar thermometers. with a probe to
check food temps or vent temps. Carried in a shirt pocket.

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What you're
seeking is something that accurately portrays the differential, e.g if
the actual reading of the temp is off by 20 degrees but linear, you're
good. What you're seeking is a differential between the ambient outside
temp and the air coming out of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned
air is 20 degrees or more lower than ambient, you're in business.

I have two thermometers permanently mounted: one to the output duct and
the other to return duct at the furnace. Makes it easy to assure that
the 20 degree differential is maintained.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment for
his multimeter to do the readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2015 10:08 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What you're
seeking is something that accurately portrays the differential, e.g if
the actual reading of the temp is off by 20 degrees but linear, you're
good. What you're seeking is a differential between the ambient outside
temp and the air coming out of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned
air is 20 degrees or more lower than ambient, you're in business.

I have two thermometers permanently mounted: one to the output duct and
the other to return duct at the fur[Of course, performance depends a lot

on humidity. Do you have a hygrometer, and wall chart to be sure that
you're not worrying about low delta T when your real problem is humidity?]
nace. Makes it easy to assure that
the 20 degree differential is maintained.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment for
his multimeter to do the readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/7/2015 10:08 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What you're
seeking is something that accurately portrays the differential, e.g if
the actual reading of the temp is off by 20 degrees but linear, you're
good. What you're seeking is a differential between the ambient outside
temp and the air coming out of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned
air is 20 degrees or more lower than ambient, you're in business.

I have two thermometers permanently mounted: one to the output duct and
the other to return duct at the fur[Of course, performance depends a lot

on humidity. Do you have a hygrometer, and wall chart to be sure that
you're not worrying about low delta T when your real problem is humidity?]

No, I do not have a hygrometer. I'll have to look into that

nace. Makes it easy to assure that
the 20 degree differential is maintained.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C
status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment for
his multimeter to do the readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2015 10:04 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Boris wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 4:34 PM, Boris wrote:

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

Probably don't need to buy anything...just hang a reasonable-quality
thermometer from the vent in the air flow and you'll be well within
accuracy needed.

--

That was my thought.

I use one from Pep Boys that they sell to measure the temp of the A/C
ducts in a car. It has a 6 inch probe with a round dial attached to the
end of the probe.

That was pretty much standard equipment for all AC technicians at one time
and they still work fine. I went a step further and drilled tight-fitting
holes in my return-air duct and supply plenum at the furnace and
permanently installed one of these thermometers in each. That way I can,
with a glance, see both temperatures and see from the delta how well the
HVAC is doing its job. Total cost was probably around $5 and I'll never
have to try to figure out where I lost them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2015 11:01 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/7/2015 10:08 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What you're
seeking is something that accurately portrays the differential, e.g if
the actual reading of the temp is off by 20 degrees but linear, you're
good. What you're seeking is a differential between the ambient outside
temp and the air coming out of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned
air is 20 degrees or more lower than ambient, you're in business.

I have two thermometers permanently mounted: one to the output duct and
the other to return duct at the fur[Of course, performance depends a lot

on humidity. Do you have a hygrometer, and wall chart to be sure that
you're not worrying about low delta T when your real problem is humidity?]

No, I do not have a hygromeIt's easy to blame bad cooling on the AC, when

the real problem is the humidity went up.
ter. I'll have to look into that

nace. Makes it easy to assure that
the 20 degree differential is maintained.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C
status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment for
his multimeter to do the readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
dpb wrote in :

[...]

Same here. Drilled holes so they are permanently mounted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 05/05/2015 4:34 PM, Boris wrote:

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

Probably don't need to buy anything...just hang a reasonable-quality
thermometer from the vent in the air flow and you'll be well within
accuracy needed.

--

That was my thought.

I use one from Pep Boys that they sell to measure the temp of the A/C
ducts in a car. It has a 6 inch probe with a round dial attached to the
end of the probe.

Sounds like the kitchen meat thermometer I used.

That was pretty much standard equipment for all AC technicians at one time
and they still work fine. I went a step further and drilled tight-fitting
holes in my return-air duct and supply plenum at the furnace and
permanently installed one of these thermometers in each. That way I can,
with a glance, see both temperatures and see from the delta how well the
HVAC is doing its job. Total cost was probably around $5 and I'll never
have to try to figure out where I lost them.

That's an interesting and worthwhile idea. Like you say, it's readily
visible at any time as a quick check and you don't have to go looking
for thermometers, where to put them, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

I repair roll laminators for a living, I carry a one of those harbor freight ones, a customer went nuts, stating you cant have a gun in a sschool. i pointed it at my arm and the laser light came on and the customer went nuts till she saw the temperature read out. she believed it was a real gun......._

Did you take her temperature? She wanted a big gun.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

baked good. (She's 50 and still weighs what she did in the 7th grade.)

179# ?

When she stoppped working for them, I think they wanted the thermometer
back, or maybe it was just the stopwatch they gave her for another
client.

A lot of her clients went out of business within a year after she was
hired. Mystery shopping was their last ditch effort to find out what
they were doing wrong. But Starbucks is still going strong.

It's always "leadership" leading to poor customer service. They never look
within because they always have the better idea. Coulda saved their money
for the bankruptcy.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris posted for all of us...

Hi,
I'm having problems with my A/C. I'd like to measure the air temp. coming
out of the ceiling vents. I've read that most infrared guns only read
surface temps. I've had A?C repairmen over, and they look like they are
using an infrared gun.

What can I buy to accurately measure the air temp from the vents?

TIA

Go out immediately and buy a Fluke digital temperature meter. Measuring at
the vents is only good for balancing home stuff. The real measurement is at
the system; as others have noted to see if the system is working properly.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*