Posted to alt.home.repair
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Measuring A/C Air Temp

Arnie Goetchius wrote in
:

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/6/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015 05:03:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.

Exactly what I did to check my truck AC temp after I charged to
system (my first time doing AC).

Cooks and AC Tech's how very similar thermometers. with a probe to
check food temps or vent temps. Carried in a shirt pocket.

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What
you're seeking is something that accurately portrays the
differential, e.g if the actual reading of the temp is off by 20
degrees but linear, you're good. What you're seeking is a
differential between the ambient outside temp and the air coming out
of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned air is 20 degrees or more
lower than ambient, you're in business.

I have two thermometers permanently mounted: one to the output duct
and the other to return duct at the furnace. Makes it easy to assure
that the 20 degree differential is maintained.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C
status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment
for his multimeter to do the readings.

Nice idea.