Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Measuring A/C Air Temp

On 5/6/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015 05:03:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I've used a kitchen meat thermometer. Just stick it in the vent.

Exactly what I did to check my truck AC temp after I charged to system
(my first time doing AC).

Cooks and AC Tech's how very similar thermometers. with a probe to
check food temps or vent temps. Carried in a shirt pocket.

Accuracy of the thermometer is not critical as an absolute. What you're
seeking is something that accurately portrays the differential, e.g if
the actual reading of the temp is off by 20 degrees but linear, you're
good. What you're seeking is a differential between the ambient outside
temp and the air coming out of your A/C duct. If the air conditioned
air is 20 degrees or more lower than ambient, you're in business.

I've used the meat thermometer in the past to check automotive A/C status

FWIW, I had my A/C serviced today and the tech used the attachment for
his multimeter to do the readings.