Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing rubber to pewter

I have a couple of old laptop stands that I just love. They are perfect
for my needs. I've had them for at least 15 years.

The past year or so, the little rubber pads on the surface of the stand
have gotten a little loose and some of them fall out from time to time.
I would like to glue them back in place, but I am not sure which glue to
use.

The stands were made by Allsop. They don't make this particular stand
any more. Here's the closest stand that they still do make, but it
doesn't have the rubber pads.

http://www.allsop.com/laptop-stands/...art-jr-pewter/

Here's one on eBay that looks to be exactly like mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allsop-Metal...em20cf9a ce04

I took a few photos of my stand showing how the pads "snap" into place,
if rubber can actually snap. Here's the Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a5x5rs5bw...Cb1jxP6ca?dl=0

I'm pretty sure that the pads are rubber and the stand itself is pewter.
What will glue rubber to pewter?

My first choice was T-88 from System Three. I've used it for years for a
variety of projects and it has worked well, but it doesn't mention
rubber.

My next choice was Gorilla Glue. It also doesn't mention rubber and the
"find the right glue" quiz on their website returned no hits for "rubber
on metal".

My last choice was Loctite Super Glue. I have not had good luck with any
super glue.

What do you all recommend?

Question #2: Should I glue a gasket on the back of the same sized as the
pad? I think part of the problem with the pad falling out is the little
tab, which is exposed, gets hit. If I surrounded it with a gasket, that
might not happen as much.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2015 4:41 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
[...]

I'd use the Gorilla glue. It is somewhat elastomeric like rubber. I've
used it to stick rubberized carpet pieces to chair legs as guides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd use contact cement for any situation like that
where 2 dissimilar materials need to be glued together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 May 2015 18:25:38 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/1/2015 4:41 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

....snip...

[...]

Do you mean gluing pieces of carpet to the bottom of the chair legs to
protect the floor? That would put a lot more stress on the glue bond
than anything my laptop stand would experience. My only concern is that
my second surface is metal, not wood. I've used Gorilla glue in the past
on wood with good results.

Would you put a rubber washer/gasket on the other side? It would provide
a little protection for the rubber tab as well as a place for the glue
to go through the holes in the base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 May 2015 19:00:27 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I'd use contact cement for any situation like that
where 2 dissimilar materials need to be glued together.

Any particular brand that works with these two surfaces (metal and
rubber)?

Bennett suggested the thistothat site (http://www.thistothat.com/). It
recommends Household Goop, which says it is a contact adhesive.

Would you put a rubber washer/gasket on the other side? It would provide
a little protection for the rubber tab as well as a place for the glue
to go through the holes in the base.

I wonder why no one has produced a family of contact cements each of
which bonds to one or more specific surfaces and to any of the other
contact cements. If I want to bond A to B, I get the A cement and the B
cement, apply each to the respective surfaces, then press them together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 May 2015 16:15:01 -0700, Bennett
wrote:

Take a look at this very helpful web site:
http://www.thistothat.com/

Thanks, that is a very handy resource.

I put in rubber and metal and it came back with Household Goop, whoich I
also happen to have a tube of. It says it's a "contact adhesive".

Would you put a rubber washer/gasket on the other side? It would provide
a little protection for the rubber tab as well as a place for the glue
to go through the holes in the base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Any particular brand that works with these two surfaces (metal and
| rubber)?

There are two basic types -- the fumey kind and the
water-base kind. The former is generally better, though
I use the latter for laminate countertops and I've had
good luck. I also use it to stick vinyl runner mat to
plywood and to stick sheet metal to plywood.

| Bennett suggested the thistothat site (http://www.thistothat.com/). It
| recommends Household Goop, which says it is a contact adhesive.

Their site says it's silicone based. If it's what I'm
thinking of it's a gooey, clear product that's more
of a filler than a glue, but I'm not sure.

| Would you put a rubber washer/gasket on the other side? It would provide
| a little protection for the rubber tab as well as a place for the glue
| to go through the holes in the base.

No. I'd just glue it.

The metal may be called
"pewter" but it's probably steel with some kind
of coating on it. The only problem I could foresee
would be if the finish is just paint and dissolves
in glue solvent.

| I wonder why no one has produced a family of contact cements each of
| which bonds to one or more specific surfaces and to any of the other
| contact cements. If I want to bond A to B, I get the A cement and the B
| cement, apply each to the respective surfaces, then press them together.

The function of contact cement is to bond dissimilar
materials. It's designed to stick to surfaces and then
sticks very well to itself. You paint a little on each
surface, let it dry to the touch, then put the two
together. There is one limitation: You only get one
chance. Once the two sides touch they're stuck. You
can't reposition them.

It's not like an epoxy, with an a and b part. It's more
like an adhesive, liquid rubber. The flexibility is what
makes it work so well. You can have different materials
with very different expansion rates and the glue stretches
a bit to accomodate that: Wood and plastic. Wood
and sheet metal. Plastic laminate to particle board
or MDF. Rubber to wood or metal... Rubber roofing cement
is similar.

So there's no need for a family of contact cements.
It's a type of glue that sticks to itself and works the
same way no matter what the two surfaces are. It's an
adaptable product. You use one coat on non-porous
surfaces; two coats on porous surfaces. You can get
the non-water base in small bottles or in quarts/gallons.
It will say highly flammable. I think the water-base only
comes in gallons and probably isn't as good for what you
want to do.

I'd just brush some on to both surfaces, let it dry, then
carefully position the tab in the hole and push them
together. It should work fine.

I usually use superglue for metal-to-metal where the
bond has no gaps. It's great for that but it's not good for
much else. For porous bonds, especially where there might
be a gap, I use epoxy. For wood I use regular wood glue.
For anything like rubber or sheet metal or laminate being
glues to anything else I use contact cement. (It's also
the best thing for resoling sandals and shoes.)

Silicone adhesive is OK for low-demand things like
sticking plastic to plastic where it won't get any stress,
but it's not really very strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 May 2015 22:58:14 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Any particular brand that works with these two surfaces (metal and
| rubber)?

There are two basic types -- the fumey kind and the
water-base kind. The former is generally better, though
I use the latter for laminate countertops and I've had
good luck. I also use it to stick vinyl runner mat to
plywood and to stick sheet metal to plywood.

| Bennett suggested the thistothat site (http://www.thistothat.com/). It
| recommends Household Goop, which says it is a contact adhesive.

Their site says it's silicone based. If it's what I'm
thinking of it's a gooey, clear product that's more
of a filler than a glue, but I'm not sure.

It is clear and gooey. It looks a lot like the clear component in epoxy.
(The resin?) It claims to be a "contact adhesive and sealant" and it
gets good reviews on Amazon.

| Would you put a rubber washer/gasket on the other side? It would provide
| a little protection for the rubber tab as well as a place for the glue
| to go through the holes in the base.

No. I'd just glue it.

The metal may be called
"pewter" but it's probably steel with some kind
of coating on it. The only problem I could foresee
would be if the finish is just paint and dissolves
in glue solvent.

I think you're right. They say it has an enamel finish, so it's probably
not real pewter, but steel with an enamel coating. I'll at least scuff
it up with my Dremel.

| I wonder why no one has produced a family of contact cements each of
| which bonds to one or more specific surfaces and to any of the other
| contact cements. If I want to bond A to B, I get the A cement and the B
| cement, apply each to the respective surfaces, then press them together.

The function of contact cement is to bond dissimilar
materials. It's designed to stick to surfaces and then
sticks very well to itself. You paint a little on each
surface, let it dry to the touch, then put the two
together. There is one limitation: You only get one
chance. Once the two sides touch they're stuck. You
can't reposition them.

It's not like an epoxy, with an a and b part. It's more
like an adhesive, liquid rubber. The flexibility is what
makes it work so well. You can have different materials
with very different expansion rates and the glue stretches
a bit to accomodate that: Wood and plastic. Wood
and sheet metal. Plastic laminate to particle board
or MDF. Rubber to wood or metal... Rubber roofing cement
is similar.

So there's no need for a family of contact cements.
It's a type of glue that sticks to itself and works the
same way no matter what the two surfaces are. It's an
adaptable product. You use one coat on non-porous
surfaces; two coats on porous surfaces. You can get
the non-water base in small bottles or in quarts/gallons.
It will say highly flammable. I think the water-base only
comes in gallons and probably isn't as good for what you
want to do.

I'd just brush some on to both surfaces, let it dry, then
carefully position the tab in the hole and push them
together. It should work fine.

I usually use superglue for metal-to-metal where the
bond has no gaps. It's great for that but it's not good for
much else. For porous bonds, especially where there might
be a gap, I use epoxy. For wood I use regular wood glue.
For anything like rubber or sheet metal or laminate being
glues to anything else I use contact cement. (It's also
the best thing for resoling sandals and shoes.)

Silicone adhesive is OK for low-demand things like
sticking plastic to plastic where it won't get any stress,
but it's not really very strong.

Very informative, thanks.

Gluing Rubber to Plastic mcp6453[_2_] Home Repair 8 November 10th 10 04:31 AM
Gluing Silicone Rubber to steel robgraham UK diy 5 January 23rd 10 10:23 PM
gluing velcro to rubber? jkn UK diy 9 June 10th 09 04:56 PM
Gluing Butyl Rubber to metal Brian Reay UK diy 8 February 7th 06 05:44 PM
Gluing rubber to glass Rick Home Repair 8 December 27th 05 06:51 AM