Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_23_] Frank[_23_] is offline

Default Gluing rubber to pewter

On 5/1/2015 4:41 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have a couple of old laptop stands that I just love. They are perfect
for my needs. I've had them for at least 15 years.

The past year or so, the little rubber pads on the surface of the stand
have gotten a little loose and some of them fall out from time to time.
I would like to glue them back in place, but I am not sure which glue to
use.

The stands were made by Allsop. They don't make this particular stand
any more. Here's the closest stand that they still do make, but it
doesn't have the rubber pads.

http://www.allsop.com/laptop-stands/...art-jr-pewter/

Here's one on eBay that looks to be exactly like mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allsop-Metal...em20cf9a ce04

I took a few photos of my stand showing how the pads "snap" into place,
if rubber can actually snap. Here's the Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a5x5rs5bw...Cb1jxP6ca?dl=0

I'm pretty sure that the pads are rubber and the stand itself is pewter.
What will glue rubber to pewter?

My first choice was T-88 from System Three. I've used it for years for a
variety of projects and it has worked well, but it doesn't mention
rubber.

My next choice was Gorilla Glue. It also doesn't mention rubber and the
"find the right glue" quiz on their website returned no hits for "rubber
on metal".

My last choice was Loctite Super Glue. I have not had good luck with any
super glue.

What do you all recommend?

Question #2: Should I glue a gasket on the back of the same sized as the
pad? I think part of the problem with the pad falling out is the little
tab, which is exposed, gets hit. If I surrounded it with a gasket, that
might not happen as much.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd use the Gorilla glue. It is somewhat elastomeric like rubber. I've
used it to stick rubberized carpet pieces to chair legs as guides.