Posted to alt.home.repair
Jennifer Murphy[_2_] Jennifer Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Gluing rubber to pewter

On Fri, 01 May 2015 18:25:38 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/1/2015 4:41 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

....snip...

My first choice was T-88 from System Three. I've used it for years for a
variety of projects and it has worked well, but it doesn't mention
rubber.

My next choice was Gorilla Glue. It also doesn't mention rubber and the
"find the right glue" quiz on their website returned no hits for "rubber
on metal".

My last choice was Loctite Super Glue. I have not had good luck with any
super glue.

What do you all recommend?

Question #2: Should I glue a gasket on the back of the same sized as the
pad? I think part of the problem with the pad falling out is the little
tab, which is exposed, gets hit. If I surrounded it with a gasket, that
might not happen as much.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd use the Gorilla glue. It is somewhat elastomeric like rubber. I've
used it to stick rubberized carpet pieces to chair legs as guides.

Do you mean gluing pieces of carpet to the bottom of the chair legs to
protect the floor? That would put a lot more stress on the glue bond
than anything my laptop stand would experience. My only concern is that
my second surface is metal, not wood. I've used Gorilla glue in the past
on wood with good results.

Would you put a rubber washer/gasket on the other side? It would provide
a little protection for the rubber tab as well as a place for the glue
to go through the holes in the base.