Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Bulbs 2 for $5 at Home Depot

Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2015 8:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

Damn, that's a great price. I'll grab a few.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 21:32:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/21/2015 8:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

Damn, that's a great price. I'll grab a few.

+ a few
Life seems to be about the same as the "On sale" ge bulbs at 13k or so
hours. Wonder if the Cree will go on sale now?
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2015 8:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

What's the advantage? Maybe a high place where you
don't want to be changing bulbs every month?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

The local Shoprite supermarkets here in NJ have been
selling Philips 65W LED 6" recessed ceiling conversion
kits for $10 for a couple months now. That's the whole
replacement trim piece, together with an adapter that
screws into the socket of the old fixture. They look
great, nice warm light too. At first, I thought they
would only be on sale for a week or two. But it's been
a couple months now and they just dropped them to $9.

Two years ago, similar were $50 at HD. I think they
are still selling for more like $25 or $30 there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 8:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/21/2015 8:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

What's the advantage? Maybe a high place where you
don't want to be changing bulbs every month?

And the savings in electricity. Look at the wattage versus lumens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 9:48:45 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2015 8:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/21/2015 8:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

What's the advantage? Maybe a high place where you
don't want to be changing bulbs every month?

And the savings in electricity. Look at the wattage versus lumens.

+1

Energy consumption difference is huge, like ~90+% less
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 9:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2015 8:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/21/2015 8:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

What's the advantage? Maybe a high place where you
don't want to be changing bulbs every month?

And the savings in electricity. Look at the wattage versus lumens.

Found this nice comparison chart:

http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led%20comp%20chart.html

Use half the energy of cfl's. I had thought they were equivalent.

I'd like to see some 75 watt lumen equivalent bulbs.

When I replaced 60 watt incandescent I went to 75 cfl's.
Nice to have extra light for older eyes.

Think Walmart has ~$5 apiece GE led's. Would be nice to see how they
compare with Phillips. Bad side effects, I've seen with cfl's are color
and humming.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:18:25 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

In 1984, they had a sale on PCJr's, for 1100 dolllars but you had to
bring 15 barcodes from Kleenex or some tissue box, and an other products
from the same large company. Each barcode was worth 5 or 10 dollars.
After everyone left work for the day, I cut a barcode out of some
co-workers tissue box. I don't even know whose it was (but I'm sure
they weren't going to use the barcode) .

Seven days after I bought it, they stopped sellling them.

But I used it for 9 or 10 years so I got my money's worth. XT's were
a lot more money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:
On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532
Posted to alt.home.repair

Keith wrote:
On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:
On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532

Hi,
Color temp. is only 2700K. They say it is soft white bulb but...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news
Keith wrote:
On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:
On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532

Hi,
Color temp. is only 2700K. They say it is soft white bulb but...

That is soft white. Cool white is 5000K. Article said they would have
both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

taxed and spent wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news
Keith wrote:
On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:
On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532

Hi,
Color temp. is only 2700K. They say it is soft white bulb but...

All
That is soft white. Cool white is 5000K. Article said they would have
both.

I converted to all LED in the house and garage ceiling.
All 5000K daylight bulbs. Soft White makes me sleepy, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:17:01 -0400, Keith wrote:

On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:
On 04/21/2015 05:23 PM, Keith wrote:
Three month promo. These bulbs will be 2 for $5 starting next month at
Home Depot:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532

Doesn't mean it's not a substandard product. I'll bet it's
"substandard" compared to the ones they sell for $14.00

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 12:27:53 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

And the savings in electricity. Look at the wattage versus lumens.

Found this nice comparison chart:

http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led%20comp%20chart.html

Use half the energy of cfl's. I had thought they were equivalent.

When LEDs first came out they had the same efficiency as incandescents, 19 luments per watt, compared to the 60 of a fluorescent.

That chart claims 100 lumens per watt, which seems optimistic to me. But they have greatly improved over the first versions.

I would guess LEDs are now equivalent to tube fluorescents, and superior to CFLs.

I have yet to have an LED bulb burn out. Flashlight versions sure, they degrade easily especially if you run them on high power.

But I also don't believe 50,000 hours of life. Probably the LED itself can do that, but there's a heck of a lot of electronics feeding it.

Has anybody measured power factor on an LED yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2015 8:27 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

Power factor is beyond me:

http://www.ecnmag.com/product-releas...s-led-lighting

I worry about electronics too. Found that cfl's don't last much longer
than incandescents in my bathrooms. Switching them on and off for brief
periods is apparently hard on the electronics and they go first.
I look at circuit diagrams for cfl's and led's and they look as complex
as my first computer. A failure in them, it does not matter how long
led itself lasts.

I had the simplest of the led flashlights which came with a headlamp I
bought. LED bulb with battery encased in plastic where squeezing the
plastic sides caused filament contact and light came on and went off
when pressure released. Contacts failed and light was kaput.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| http://www.wired.com/2015/04/philips-cheap-led-bulbs/
|
| I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
| with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
| product.

The article explains:

"they don't feature the dimming capabilities and the more incandescent-like
warmth of the $10 Philips 60w LED bulb that will remain on sale."

I just got some Cree 60w= for about $7 each.
There was an older model on sale, but the ones
I got said they were warm light and I thought
they looked good. I didn't want to take a chance
buying a lot of bulbs on sale that might look too
cold or off-color. How long wil they last? We're the
guinea pigs on that question.

One of the Cree's is in a wall sconce with a dimmer.
It seems to "flutter" in intensity. I didn't even think
to check whether it works with dimmers. I'd assumed
that all LEDs are dimmable, but frankly I haven't
looked into it much. To my mind it's a product that
hasn't finished cooking so I'm in no hurry to buy them.
I just bought the Crees because that's what my
customer has been using.

I'm also not convinced about the alleged lumens
of LEDs. I have an LED flashlight that I can't look
at directly because it's so bright. Yet it hardly helps
getting around in the dark. Maybe it's lack of color
range? Someone once sugggested it might be due
to less blue sensitivity in the human eye. Whatever
it is, the light just isn't as "light". I'm on a job now
with 3 "60w" LEDs in a wall sconce. It's a nice,
soft light. But 180 w of incandescent would be
glaringly bright.
I'll probably replace
the LED in the dimmer with one of the halogens
encased in an incandescent bulb -- nice clean,
bright light with higher efficiency than incandescent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

From what I have read, these are not dimmable, color hue may not be
what you are used to, and have a slightly shorter life than the more
expensive LED bulbs.

The past few months I've been slowly converting to LED bulbs.

I started with the lighting that gets used the most and slowly fanning
out to less used fixtures.

Most of the ones I purchased are made by CREE.
They seem okay but their 100 watt bulbs are larger than traditional
bulbs and may not fit in some fixtures.

I did buy 3 clear style Philips bulbs for my kitchen ceiling fan.
My wife rejected them, claimed they were too bright and glared down on
her, so they got moved to the main bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:23:07 -0400, Paul Marks wrote:

On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

From what I have read, these are not dimmable, color hue may not be
what you are used to, and have a slightly shorter life than the more
expensive LED bulbs.

The past few months I've been slowly converting to LED bulbs.

I just converted to CFL's

I can't keep converting.

I have a friend who converted to Bahai'ism. What is he supposed to do
now?

I started with the lighting that gets used the most and slowly fanning
out to less used fixtures.

Most of the ones I purchased are made by CREE.
They seem okay but their 100 watt bulbs are larger than traditional
bulbs and may not fit in some fixtures.

I did buy 3 clear style Philips bulbs for my kitchen ceiling fan.
My wife rejected them, claimed they were too bright and glared down on

Might be.

her, so they got moved to the main bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:18 PM, T wrote:

I know this sounds a little jaded, but I wonder what is wrong
with them? Sales are often used to clear out substandard
product.

From what I have read, these are not dimmable, color hue may not be
what you are used to, and have a slightly shorter life than the more
expensive LED bulbs.

The past few months I've been slowly converting to LED bulbs.

I just converted to CFL's

I can't keep converting.

I have a friend who converted to Bahai'ism.
What is he supposed to do
now?

Convert to incandescent, and be a lamp unto
his feet?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 10:50 PM, wrote:

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532

Doesn't mean it's not a substandard product. I'll bet it's
"substandard" compared to the ones they sell for $14.00

Maybe, but the way electronics have gone down in price, it may be a real
breakthrough. Just as my $3500 386SX computer I bought in 1992 is not
nearly as good as the $200 netbook I bought last year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 1:22:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2015 10:50 PM, wrote:

This is a new product.
Home Depot has them online, they are out of stock currently:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-6...5576/205815532

Doesn't mean it's not a substandard product. I'll bet it's
"substandard" compared to the ones they sell for $14.00

Maybe, but the way electronics have gone down in price, it may be a real
breakthrough. Just as my $3500 386SX computer I bought in 1992 is not
nearly as good as the $200 netbook I bought last year.

Are most of them even selling for $14 today? I don't think
so. From what I've seen, price has dropped substantially
to less than half that.
And someone pointed out that these $2.50 ones don't have
features that the higher priced ones do, eg they are not
dimmable. So, for the right application, I'd try them.
I'm not sure with this kind of product that because it
cost 4x it's going to be better, last longer, etc.

Seems you can't please some folks. When they were $30 folks
were bitching they cost too much. Now, they are $2.50 and
some are bitching they are too cheap.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2015 12:22 PM, micky wrote:

I just converted to CFL's

I can't keep converting.

I'm just converting as the CFL goes dead. It is taking a while, but I
do like the LED better.

I have a friend who converted to Bahai'ism. What is he supposed to do
now?

Easy. Send me a donation and you can become a member of my Church, Pick
6. It is difficult to keep all 10 Commandments so in my Church you just
keep any six of your choosing. Please send donations, cash only to . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-23, micky wrote:
I can't keep converting.

I won't even start, am sticking with incandescents at a typical cost of
about 25 cents each or less.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-23, micky wrote:
I can't keep converting.

I won't even start, am sticking with incandescents at a typical cost of
about 25 cents each or less.

Compare real cost and you will change your mind. Those cheap bulbs are
more expensive than the $2,50 LED. At my rate, 1,000 hours of operation
for the cheap bulb is $11.40. The LED will cost $1.90 to operate. Look
at the life of the bulb for say, 10,000 hours and it is even worse as
the same LED bulb is still burning while you've repaced a bunch of those
quarter bulbs. .

OK. you can brag about your cheap bulbs, but I'll put the money in my
pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Compare real cost and you will change your mind. Those cheap bulbs are
| more expensive than the $2,50 LED. At my rate, 1,000 hours of operation
| for the cheap bulb is $11.40. The LED will cost $1.90 to operate. Look
| at the life of the bulb for say, 10,000 hours and it is even worse as
| the same LED bulb is still burning while you've repaced a bunch of those
| quarter bulbs. .
|
| OK. you can brag about your cheap bulbs, but I'll put the money in my
| pocket.

This came up awhile back and it turned out
that some of the people focused on saving
money were also in the habit of leaving lights
on unnecessarily.

There are numerous factors involved, so that
calculating savings is a sketchy business. In
addition to the fact that we really don't know yet
what the life of a given bulb will be, there are
also aesthetic factors. (Quality and color of light.)
And if you leave the lights on all day, are you
actually saving money just because you use LED
bulbs? Why would someone counting pennies so
carefully waste electricity like that? And $2.50 for
an LED is not yet realistic. A particular cheapo LED
bulb will be going on sale for $2.50. Is that a bargain?
Again, it's not easy to calculate definitively.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume
that you're really saving a few dollars per year, buying
LED bulbs on sale and only turning on lights when
absolutely necessary. I'll further assume that you apply
that frugal philosophy to your life in general. You don't
have a dishasher or garbage disposal. You keep your
thermostat at 50F. You don't own a TV. You're posting
these posts from the Public Library because you don't
own a computer. And you'll be using your few dollars
savings to buy dried navy beans on sale.
After all, if you go to Starbucks or go out for dinner,
you've just blown through years' worth of savings on
electricity. And ESPN on cable? Don't get me started!
I could buy 75 incandescent bulbs for the cost of one
month of just ESPN alone. For the cost of a month of
cable TV I could probably buy several hundred bulbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2015 9:42 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Compare real cost and you will change your mind. Those cheap bulbs are
| more expensive than the $2,50 LED. At my rate, 1,000 hours of operation
| for the cheap bulb is $11.40. The LED will cost $1.90 to operate. Look
| at the life of the bulb for say, 10,000 hours and it is even worse as
| the same LED bulb is still burning while you've repaced a bunch of those
| quarter bulbs. .
|
| OK. you can brag about your cheap bulbs, but I'll put the money in my
| pocket.

This came up awhile back and it turned out
that some of the people focused on saving
money were also in the habit of leaving lights
on unnecessarily.

I'm com paring an hour of use versus and hour of use. It may not pay to
change out that closet bulb that is use 20 minutes a year, but the
kitchen or living room lights make quite a difference. The one in our
nightstand in the bedroom gets a few hours a day. Bathrooms get a few
hours a day.

There are numerous factors involved, so that
calculating savings is a sketchy business. In
addition to the fact that we really don't know yet
what the life of a given bulb will be,

We have some fairly accurate information. Even if off 15%, it still
shows a lot of savings.

there are
also aesthetic factors. (Quality and color of light.)
And if you leave the lights on all day, are you
actually saving money just because you use LED
bulbs?

Quality of light is rather good. What difference does it make if you
leave lights on all the time or not? The savings is based on the same
use. Using LED does not change my habits, be they good or bad. I don't
see how yhou came up with that nonsense.

Why would someone counting pennies so
carefully waste electricity like that? And $2.50 for
an LED is not yet realistic. A particular cheapo LED
bulb will be going on sale for $2.50. Is that a bargain?
Again, it's not easy to calculate definitively.

Does not seem all th at difficult. You make some silly argument about
leaving lights on that makes no sense at all.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume
that you're really saving a few dollars per year, buying
LED bulbs on sale and only turning on lights when
absolutely necessary. I'll further assume that you apply
that frugal philosophy to your life in general.

Yes, I do.

You don't
have a dishasher or garbage disposal.

I have both. The dishwasher not only does a great job of cleaning the
dishes, it does it with lass hot water and at lower cost than doing it
by hand. The machine itself cost money, but I'm willing to pay for the
convenience of just pushing a button for clean dishes.

You keep your
thermostat at 50F. You don't own a TV. You're posting
these posts from the Public Library because you don't
own a computer. And you'll be using your few dollars
savings to buy dried navy beans on sale.
After all, if you go to Starbucks or go out for dinner,
you've just blown through years' worth of savings on
electricity. And ESPN on cable? Don't get me started!

Don't have ESPN, but I do have a TV and DirecTV.

Just because I have those niceties and spend money on them does not mean
I should waste money on electricity. Your argument is extremely dumb, IMO.

I could buy 75 incandescent bulbs for the cost of one
month of just ESPN alone. For the cost of a month of
cable TV I could probably buy several hundred bulbs.

Any if you save enough money on electricity, you can use that extra
money for dinner out or a Grande at Starbucks.

Some other things that I save on. I live in CT but work in MA. I buy
my gas in MA because it averages 25¢ a gallon less. Works out to about
$250 a year for me.

Last week I went to Yankee Spirits and bought a 1.75 liter bottle of
Hendrick gin for $49. If I bought the equal amount in CT it would have
been about $72. My wife was with me so we had a nice lunch covered by
my liquor purchases that day.

I enjoy a lot of luxuries because I don't waste money. I choose where
my money goes to give me the best value. LED bulbs are one of those
factors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Compare real cost and you will change your mind.

No, I won't.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Quality of light is rather good. What difference does it make if you
| leave lights on all the time or not? The savings is based on the same
| use. Using LED does not change my habits, be they good or bad. I don't
| see how yhou came up with that nonsense.

You're telling other people that they'll save money
by using LED, with no context. Context is not
nonsense. You're switching to save money, yet
you're not changing other habits to save money.

But I don't mean to criticize you personally. I think
we all tend to be irrational about money. It often
serves more of a symbolic role than a practical one.

| And if you save enough money on electricity, you can use that extra
| money for dinner out or a Grande at Starbucks.

Yes, I could. But I like to save money. I can't
justify spending on a coffee at Starbucks that
costs several times what it would cost to make
it at home better.

That's an interesting issue, though. It's a very
American quirk to regard luxury as worthwhile. And
luxury is pretty much defined as something we
don't need. We waste on luxury to express our
freedom, then we pinch pennies on anything that
we have to buy. People buy low quality food on
sale and then splurge on cruise vacations. It
seems normal because it's such a common logic,
but it's actually an irrational, symbolic relationship
to money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Compare real cost and you will change your mind.

No, I won't.

Your choice to **** money away. I prefer to spend it on more fun things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Compare real cost and you will change your mind.

No, I won't.

Even if you are a trillionaire, saving energy and money is
not good thing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-24, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Compare real cost and you will change your mind.

No, I won't.

Your choice to **** money away. I prefer to spend it on more fun things.

Some are lazy, dumb or stupid. Only thing I can think of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-23, micky wrote:
I can't keep converting.

I won't even start, am sticking with incandescents at a typical cost of
about 25 cents each or less.

Better stock them up. Those bulbs won't be around too long
except may be in museums. My house and cabin is 100% LED now.
So far none burnt out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
| Compare real cost and you will change your mind. Those cheap bulbs are
| more expensive than the $2,50 LED. At my rate, 1,000 hours of operation
| for the cheap bulb is $11.40. The LED will cost $1.90 to operate. Look
| at the life of the bulb for say, 10,000 hours and it is even worse as
| the same LED bulb is still burning while you've repaced a bunch of those
| quarter bulbs. .
|
| OK. you can brag about your cheap bulbs, but I'll put the money in my
| pocket.

This came up awhile back and it turned out
that some of the people focused on saving
money were also in the habit of leaving lights
on unnecessarily.

There are numerous factors involved, so that
calculating savings is a sketchy business. In
addition to the fact that we really don't know yet
what the life of a given bulb will be, there are
also aesthetic factors. (Quality and color of light.)
And if you leave the lights on all day, are you
actually saving money just because you use LED
bulbs? Why would someone counting pennies so
carefully waste electricity like that? And $2.50 for
an LED is not yet realistic. A particular cheapo LED
bulb will be going on sale for $2.50. Is that a bargain?
Again, it's not easy to calculate definitively.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume
that you're really saving a few dollars per year, buying
LED bulbs on sale and only turning on lights when
absolutely necessary. I'll further assume that you apply
that frugal philosophy to your life in general. You don't
have a dishasher or garbage disposal. You keep your
thermostat at 50F. You don't own a TV. You're posting
these posts from the Public Library because you don't
own a computer. And you'll be using your few dollars
savings to buy dried navy beans on sale.
After all, if you go to Starbucks or go out for dinner,
you've just blown through years' worth of savings on
electricity. And ESPN on cable? Don't get me started!
I could buy 75 incandescent bulbs for the cost of one
month of just ESPN alone. For the cost of a month of
cable TV I could probably buy several hundred bulbs.

That is you. I am not you. I have every thing you mentioned and
some more, what's wrong with that? Of course I switched whole house to
LED what's wrong with that? Are you hoarding old bulbs which soon to
disappear? All is not just a matter of saving money. It is all one's
choice. Nothing to argue about as far as I am concerned. We pursuit
comfortable, enjoyable life within our means exercising common sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
| Compare real cost and you will change your mind. Those cheap bulbs are
| more expensive than the $2,50 LED. At my rate, 1,000 hours of operation
| for the cheap bulb is $11.40. The LED will cost $1.90 to operate. Look
| at the life of the bulb for say, 10,000 hours and it is even worse as
| the same LED bulb is still burning while you've repaced a bunch of those
| quarter bulbs. .
|
| OK. you can brag about your cheap bulbs, but I'll put the money in my
| pocket.

This came up awhile back and it turned out
that some of the people focused on saving
money were also in the habit of leaving lights
on unnecessarily.

There are numerous factors involved, so that
calculating savings is a sketchy business. In
addition to the fact that we really don't know yet
what the life of a given bulb will be, there are
also aesthetic factors. (Quality and color of light.)
And if you leave the lights on all day, are you
actually saving money just because you use LED
bulbs? Why would someone counting pennies so
carefully waste electricity like that? And $2.50 for
an LED is not yet realistic. A particular cheapo LED
bulb will be going on sale for $2.50. Is that a bargain?
Again, it's not easy to calculate definitively.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume
that you're really saving a few dollars per year, buying
LED bulbs on sale and only turning on lights when
absolutely necessary. I'll further assume that you apply
that frugal philosophy to your life in general. You don't
have a dishasher or garbage disposal. You keep your
thermostat at 50F. You don't own a TV. You're posting
these posts from the Public Library because you don't
own a computer. And you'll be using your few dollars
savings to buy dried navy beans on sale.
After all, if you go to Starbucks or go out for dinner,
you've just blown through years' worth of savings on
electricity. And ESPN on cable? Don't get me started!
I could buy 75 incandescent bulbs for the cost of one
month of just ESPN alone. For the cost of a month of
cable TV I could probably buy several hundred bulbs.

It is not only a matter of saving money.
Every one has different choice with her/his life. I pursuit
comfortable, enjoyable life within my means exercising common
sense. my house has all LED lighting. I have all the things you
mentioned and some more. Any thing wrong with that?

Home Depot - Home Services Experiences Frank[_3_] Home Repair 11 August 9th 07 06:01 AM
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time." Stephen Blackpool Home Repair 65 March 17th 07 12:53 PM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
Where's Home Depot J T Woodworking 57 February 5th 05 06:54 PM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM