Posted to alt.home.repair

Default who makes a good plastic bathroom sink?

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2015 12:02 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

I have 35 year old Corian counter tops that look as good today as they did back in 1980.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

Both my bathrooms have Swanstone vanity tops with sinks. We like
them.
https://www.swanstone.com/index.php?cat=3&attr=17
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:46:01 -0700, T wrote:

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

.... don't let the bride spill nail polish remover (acetone)
--
.... if I had the perfect woman, I'd want twins -- Blackberry Smoke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2015 11:22 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:46:01 -0700, T wrote:

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

... don't let the bride spill nail polish remover (acetone)

I you drop anything on those idiot cast iron sinks, it chips the
porcelain, and the buzzard will start to rust.

I want to avoid this in the future. I also want something
that I won't injure my back trying to lift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2015 05:49 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

Hi Pops,

Interesting. Thank you.

How are they when you drop something on them? Do they
crack? And, will I injure myself trying to lift it
into place? (I am going to have fun getting the
old one out!)

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2015 02:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many
years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

Actually I meant fiberglass or polymer.

Resins are out due to breathing problems of a family member.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

Hi Pops,

Interesting. Thank you.

How are they when you drop something on them? Do they
crack? And, will I injure myself trying to lift it
into place? (I am going to have fun getting the
old one out!)

-T

Mentioned that mine look fine after 35 years.
These are thick, composite plastic like Corian.
My son has a sink where plastic is thin and something dropped on it put
a hole in it.
I would like to replace mine, however as the vanity's they top are worn.
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 7:52 PM, T wrote:
On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

Whole vanity including sink and plumbing.
Lowes and HD have tons of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many
years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

Actually I meant fiberglass or polymer.

Resins are out due to breathing problems of a family member.

Pardon? What do you think holds the glass fibers together in
fiberglass? It's fiberglass re-enforced plastic, and the binder is a
resin - generally polyester, occaisionally vynilester, or more often
Epoxy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:52:17 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

one peice formed ( cast) cultured marble or glued together Corian
sink and countertop assembly (looks like one peice).

Personally, I'd go with corian top with undermounted VC sink
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many
years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

Actually I meant fiberglass or polymer.

Resins are out due to breathing problems of a family member.

Pardon? What do you think holds the glass fibers together in
fiberglass? It's fiberglass re-enforced plastic, and the binder is a
resin - generally polyester, occaisionally vynilester, or more often
Epoxy.

You are correct. Welcome to the wonderful world of chemical
sensitives. :'(

I can leave plastic outside for a month or two to out gas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgassing

If you have chemical sensitivities you have no excuse for installing
anything other than stainless steel, porcelain coated steel, or
vitreous china.
Don't be stupid. Not to mention, any one of the three will outlast
plastic (of ANY kind) about 2 or 3 to one, minimum under normal use.
Just don't drop your pick-ax in the sink while you are picking tartar
off your teeth!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Stainless is perfect, but expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

Hi Pops,

Interesting. Thank you.

How are they when you drop something on them? Do they
crack? And, will I injure myself trying to lift it
into place? (I am going to have fun getting the
old one out!)

Crack? Depends upon the force of the blow but not likely. Chipping would
be a more likely result but that too would depend upon the force and the
area over wich it was applied. Drop a 20# turkey and nothing will
happen...rap the sink rim hard with the back edge of a cleaver and it will
probably chip.

Weight? Not light weight but not back breakers. If you can pick up a
toilet bowl - vitreous china - you should have no problem with a vitreous
china sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Vitreous china and porcelain coated steel are dirt cheap (under $50
here in Canada, so what, $10,99 in the USA???? And with any care at
all todays porcelain steel sinks that have the overflows etc bonded on
instead of welding, should last over 40 years. NO plastic sink will
last that long. Period

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Hi Clare,

Maybe stainless has come down in price. Any regular steel
or iron and we are back to the rusting problem. I also
don't want to hurt my back installing the thing.

Any favorite stainless sink manufacturers?

Thank you for helping me with this!

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Have found that dropping a tube of deodorant stone on
these idiot cast iron ones will cause a chip that will
rust

Weight? Not light weight but not back breakers. If you can pick up a
toilet bowl - vitreous china - you should have no problem with a vitreous
china sink.

I get the two piece toilets. They are still a bit
heavy on me.

Thank you for helping me with this!

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Of course but money's worth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2015 3:21 PM, T wrote:

Maybe stainless has come down in price. Any regular steel
or iron and we are back to the rusting problem. I also
don't want to hurt my back installing the thing.

Any favorite stainless sink manufacturers?

Thank you for helping me with this!

-T

Kohler makes some from about $125 to over $500.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So you decided? What are you starting the project?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Plastic or stainless, if I can afford it. Haven't
settled on one yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Cost of ownership will trump initial price

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

What kind of sink are you looking for? Sounds like bathroom, but I'm
not sure you ever said. Tell me exactly what you are looking for.