DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   who makes a good plastic bathroom sink? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/382556-who-makes-good-plastic-bathroom-sink.html)

T[_6_] April 21st 15 05:02 AM

who makes a good plastic bathroom sink?

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

T[_6_] April 21st 15 07:46 AM

On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

Mayhem[_2_] April 21st 15 09:36 AM

On 04/21/2015 12:02 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

I have 35 year old Corian counter tops that look as good today as they did back in 1980.

Ed Pawlowski April 21st 15 10:49 AM

who makes a good plastic bathroom sink?

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

Both my bathrooms have Swanstone vanity tops with sinks. We like
them.
https://www.swanstone.com/index.php?cat=3&attr=17

dadiOH[_3_] April 21st 15 12:31 PM

T wrote:
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other
number of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

True but it stains and scratches. Porcelain does neither.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Frank[_23_] April 21st 15 12:55 PM

On 4/21/2015 2:46 AM, T wrote:
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

Plastic sinks are not necessarily cheaper as fabrication cost is higher.
They do not rust but some plastics hold up better than others.
I would prefer acrylic based like Corian. Some may be polyesters and
don't hold up as well.

Col. Edmund Burke[_5_] April 21st 15 02:58 PM

"T" wrote in message ...
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

****ing slum lord!
LOL

Tony Hwang April 21st 15 03:21 PM

T wrote:
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

Hi,
There maybe plastic sink but I never saw or heard it installed in home
environment. Camping trailer I had had it in the bathroom which we did
not like. Install good one and forget it for long time. I'd use one of
forementioned.

Ed Pawlowski April 21st 15 07:16 PM

On 4/21/2015 10:21 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
T wrote:
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

Hi,
There maybe plastic sink but I never saw or heard it installed in home
environment.

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

Oren[_2_] April 21st 15 07:22 PM

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:46:01 -0700, T wrote:

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

.... don't let the bride spill nail polish remover (acetone)
--
.... if I had the perfect woman, I'd want twins -- Blackberry Smoke

Frank[_23_] April 21st 15 07:52 PM

T wrote:
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

Hi,
There maybe plastic sink but I never saw or heard it installed in home
environment. Camping trailer I had had it in the bathroom which we did
not like. Install good one and forget it for long time. I'd use one of
forementioned.

I've got three of them with sinks molded along with vanity top.
These things are not pure plastic but are filled plastic.
Mine look good after 35 years but I think they are polyester as soap has
caused some erosion and think Corian would be better.
Corian is acrylic filled with aluminum oxide and colorants.
I once saw a Corian bathtub but think it was the only one ever made.

[email protected] April 22nd 15 01:34 AM

On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:02:04 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

One of my idiot cast iron bathroom sinks is rusting out.
Anyone have a favorite plastic bathroom sink to replace it?

Many thanks,
-T

You can go with porcelain, cultured marble, Corian or any other number
of synthetics.

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I've got a Mirolin/ Mirstone resin sink in the kitchen - not sure I'd
do it again if I had it to do over.

dadiOH[_3_] April 22nd 15 01:49 PM

wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

T[_6_] April 22nd 15 09:19 PM

T wrote:
On 04/20/2015 10:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

You have a favorite one?

T[_6_] April 22nd 15 09:21 PM

On 04/21/2015 11:22 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:46:01 -0700, T wrote:

Plastic is cheaper. And from what I can tell, just as
durable. And it DOESN'T RUST!

... don't let the bride spill nail polish remover (acetone)

I you drop anything on those idiot cast iron sinks, it chips the
porcelain, and the buzzard will start to rust.

I want to avoid this in the future. I also want something
that I won't injure my back trying to lift.

T[_6_] April 22nd 15 09:23 PM

On 04/22/2015 05:49 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

Hi Pops,

Interesting. Thank you.

How are they when you drop something on them? Do they
crack? And, will I injure myself trying to lift it
into place? (I am going to have fun getting the
old one out!)

-T

Ed Pawlowski April 22nd 15 10:23 PM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

T[_6_] April 22nd 15 11:00 PM

On 04/22/2015 02:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many
years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

Actually I meant fiberglass or polymer.

Resins are out due to breathing problems of a family member.

Frank[_23_] April 22nd 15 11:56 PM

wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

Hi Pops,

Interesting. Thank you.

How are they when you drop something on them? Do they
crack? And, will I injure myself trying to lift it
into place? (I am going to have fun getting the
old one out!)

-T

Mentioned that mine look fine after 35 years.
These are thick, composite plastic like Corian.
My son has a sink where plastic is thin and something dropped on it put
a hole in it.
I would like to replace mine, however as the vanity's they top are worn.
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 12:52 AM

On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

Frank[_23_] April 23rd 15 12:54 AM

On 4/22/2015 7:52 PM, T wrote:
On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

Whole vanity including sink and plumbing.
Lowes and HD have tons of them.

[email protected] April 23rd 15 01:33 AM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many
years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

Actually I meant fiberglass or polymer.

Resins are out due to breathing problems of a family member.

Pardon? What do you think holds the glass fibers together in
fiberglass? It's fiberglass re-enforced plastic, and the binder is a
resin - generally polyester, occaisionally vynilester, or more often
Epoxy.

[email protected] April 23rd 15 01:35 AM

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:52:17 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

one peice formed ( cast) cultured marble or glued together Corian
sink and countertop assembly (looks like one peice).

Personally, I'd go with corian top with undermounted VC sink

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 02:09 AM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

Depends on how you define "plastic". Most people call any non-metal
material a plastic, but it may be a fiberglass, or other polymer
material. There are some really good ones that will last for many
years.

OTOH, he also states they are cheap. In reality, they can be quite
pricey.

You have a favorite one?

I already posted a link to Swanstone sinks.

Actually I meant fiberglass or polymer.

Resins are out due to breathing problems of a family member.

Pardon? What do you think holds the glass fibers together in
fiberglass? It's fiberglass re-enforced plastic, and the binder is a
resin - generally polyester, occaisionally vynilester, or more often
Epoxy.

You are correct. Welcome to the wonderful world of chemical
sensitives. :'(

I can leave plastic outside for a month or two to out gas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgassing

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 02:10 AM

On 04/22/2015 05:35 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:52:17 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

one peice formed ( cast) cultured marble or glued together Corian
sink and countertop assembly (looks like one peice).

Personally, I'd go with corian top with undermounted VC sink

Do you have a favorite plastic unit?

[email protected] April 23rd 15 03:25 AM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

If you have chemical sensitivities you have no excuse for installing
anything other than stainless steel, porcelain coated steel, or
vitreous china.
Don't be stupid. Not to mention, any one of the three will outlast
plastic (of ANY kind) about 2 or 3 to one, minimum under normal use.
Just don't drop your pick-ax in the sink while you are picking tartar
off your teeth!!!

[email protected] April 23rd 15 03:36 AM

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:10:04 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/22/2015 05:35 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:52:17 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/22/2015 03:56 PM, Frank wrote:
I'd look at buying the whole thing as a unit.

What do you mean?

one peice formed ( cast) cultured marble or glued together Corian
sink and countertop assembly (looks like one peice).

Personally, I'd go with corian top with undermounted VC sink

Do you have a favorite plastic unit?

I wouyldn't install one, period. We have a Mirolin Mirstone kitchen
sink - I wouldn't call it "plastic" but it does have a resin binder -
it is similar to granitec. Not sure I'd do it again. It looks good but
is a pain to keep clean

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 05:32 AM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Stainless is perfect, but expensive.

dadiOH[_3_] April 23rd 15 12:09 PM

wrote:

I haven't seen a decent plastic bathroom sink, and if they stand up
like plastic laudry tubs I certainly wouldn't want one. Cultured
marble is OK but with agressive water gets looking pretty tough in
less than 10 years. I'd go with porcelain over steel or vitreous
china. (have porcelain upstairs, Vitreous china downstairs)

I'd go with vitreous china since it is a coating OVER porcelain.
http://www.tradewindsimports.com/blo...-vs-porcelain/

Hi Pops,

Interesting. Thank you.

How are they when you drop something on them? Do they
crack? And, will I injure myself trying to lift it
into place? (I am going to have fun getting the
old one out!)

Crack? Depends upon the force of the blow but not likely. Chipping would
be a more likely result but that too would depend upon the force and the
area over wich it was applied. Drop a 20# turkey and nothing will
happen...rap the sink rim hard with the back edge of a cleaver and it will
probably chip.

Weight? Not light weight but not back breakers. If you can pick up a
toilet bowl - vitreous china - you should have no problem with a vitreous
china sink.

[email protected] April 23rd 15 06:00 PM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Vitreous china and porcelain coated steel are dirt cheap (under $50
here in Canada, so what, $10,99 in the USA???? And with any care at
all todays porcelain steel sinks that have the overflows etc bonded on
instead of welding, should last over 40 years. NO plastic sink will
last that long. Period

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 08:21 PM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Hi Clare,

Maybe stainless has come down in price. Any regular steel
or iron and we are back to the rusting problem. I also
don't want to hurt my back installing the thing.

Any favorite stainless sink manufacturers?

Thank you for helping me with this!

-T

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 08:23 PM

wrote:

[...]

Have found that dropping a tube of deodorant stone on
these idiot cast iron ones will cause a chip that will
rust

Weight? Not light weight but not back breakers. If you can pick up a
toilet bowl - vitreous china - you should have no problem with a vitreous
china sink.

I get the two piece toilets. They are still a bit
heavy on me.

Tony Hwang April 23rd 15 08:33 PM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Of course but money's worth.

Ed Pawlowski April 23rd 15 08:39 PM

On 4/23/2015 3:21 PM, T wrote:

Maybe stainless has come down in price. Any regular steel
or iron and we are back to the rusting problem. I also
don't want to hurt my back installing the thing.

Any favorite stainless sink manufacturers?

Thank you for helping me with this!

-T

Kohler makes some from about $125 to over $500.

Tony Hwang April 23rd 15 08:41 PM

wrote:

[...]

So you decided? What are you starting the project?

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 09:05 PM

wrote:

[...]

Plastic or stainless, if I can afford it. Haven't
settled on one yet.

T[_6_] April 23rd 15 09:06 PM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Cost of ownership will trump initial price

[email protected] April 24th 15 01:37 AM

On 4/22/2015 4:19 PM, T wrote:

[...]

What kind of sink are you looking for? Sounds like bathroom, but I'm
not sure you ever said. Tell me exactly what you are looking for.

Ed Pawlowski April 24th 15 02:25 AM

On 4/23/2015 8:37 PM, wrote:

What kind of sink are you looking for? Sounds like bathroom, but I'm
not sure you ever said. Tell me exactly what you are looking for.

Pssssst....look at the subject line