Posted to alt.home.repair
JG JG is offline

Default Sink Makes the Toilet Run???

Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the
filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 9:19 am, "JG" wrote:
Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the
filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

liek the other poster said, or a quick fix.....

slightly bend your float arm so the water in the tank pushes harder
against the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tater wrote:

On Apr 1, 9:19 am, "JG" wrote:

Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the
filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

liek the other poster said, or a quick fix.....

slightly bend your float arm so the water in the tank pushes harder
against the valve.

He may have the FluidMaster 400A fill valve.
They are notorious for tripping on under slight
pressure changes. Replace the rubber "seal" washer under the cap.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 1, 11:45 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
Tater wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:19 am, "JG" wrote:

Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the
filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

liek the other poster said, or a quick fix.....

slightly bend your float arm so the water in the tank pushes harder
against the valve.

He may have the FluidMaster 400A fill valve.
They are notorious for tripping on under slight
pressure changes. Replace the rubber "seal" washer under the cap.

Good call -- or, possibly the pressue regulating valve has quit
regulating and he does have high pressure. Worth checking. Or, there
isn't one and the utility has upgraded distribution system -- that
caused untold problems in a subdivision I was in in TN when they
replaced a pumping station.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 1 Apr 2007 09:05:54 -0700, "Tater" wrote:

On Apr 1, 9:19 am, "JG" wrote:
Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the

Sure I have it too, sometimes. It's not a problem for me. Someday my
toilets valve will wear out and maybe the next one won't ever do it.

filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

liek the other poster said, or a quick fix.....

slightly bend your float arm so the water in the tank pushes harder
against the valve.

Won't this just change the water level at which the same thing
happens? I guess if you got the float farther from the valve, so that
there was more leverage (and less leverage at the valve end) that
would help, but most floats are only an inch or two from the far end
of the tank anyhow.

I agree though that in a lot of situations, changing anything can have
an effect.