Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sink Makes the Toilet Run???

On Apr 1, 11:45 am, Speedy Jim wrote:
Tater wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:19 am, "JG" wrote:

Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the
filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

liek the other poster said, or a quick fix.....

slightly bend your float arm so the water in the tank pushes harder
against the valve.

He may have the FluidMaster 400A fill valve.
They are notorious for tripping on under slight
pressure changes. Replace the rubber "seal" washer under the cap.

Good call -- or, possibly the pressue regulating valve has quit
regulating and he does have high pressure. Worth checking. Or, there
isn't one and the utility has upgraded distribution system -- that
caused untold problems in a subdivision I was in in TN when they
replaced a pumping station.