Posted to alt.home.repair
JG JG is offline

Default Sink Makes the Toilet Run???

Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never encountered it
before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet, let it run for a
little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will run for a little bit and
then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps the
filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the momentum of the
water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the pressure to trip the
water valve momentarily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JG wrote:
Hi,

Anybody have any ideas for me on this problem? I've never
encountered it before. If I turn on a sink facuet or bathrub facuet,
let it run for a little bit, and then shut it off, the toilet will
run for a little bit and then stop.

Ever heard of this? What causes it? My only thought is that perhaps
the filler valve is week and the "water hammer" effect of the
momentum of the water suddenly shut off at the sink is causing the
pressure to trip the water valve momentarily.

When you turn it off, it creates a little water hammer (a high pressure
pulse). That will push the valve on the toilet open a little.

You might be able to get rid of it by somehow lowering your home's water
pressure and or adding a anti-hammer device on that cold water line.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Toilet Makes Hissing Sound runsrealfast Home Repair 12 March 22nd 07 03:25 PM
toilet run time grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 5 October 3rd 05 04:09 PM
Sink in Toilet katogrove UK diy 25 October 31st 04 12:28 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM